Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

maddycat

"flour" Tortillas

I like corn tortillas just fine, but to be honest I really miss burritos. (I've tried a store bought rice tortilla (flour tortilla substitute) and it was yucky!)

Has anyone made their own "flour" tortillas with gluten-free ingreedients? I've been considering buying a tortilla press if it is possible to make them and have them turn out.

Any thoughts??

Marcia-

Diagnosed Celiac based on equivocal results on blood seriology tests, did not have a biopsy due to already eating gluten free (I didn't know any better at the time to keep eating gluten until all tests could be done).

Diagnosis came 3 months after the birth of my first child at age 31 (I believe childbirth was my trigger).

Gluten Free since 8/06

Genetic testing revealed:

I have one copy of DQ2 (DQA1 05/DQB1 02)

Son- 3 years old, so far not showing any signs of digestive issues and does eat gluten- fingers crossed!

Second baby born after I have been gluten free for 2 1/2 years- a healthy boy weighing in at 9 pounds at birth!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Though I haven't tried to make any, since they don't need to rise, I'd have to believe it would be easier to make than a soft, fluffy bread. Somewhere between a crepe and a pancake w/out the baking powder should work I think. A Google search turns up suggestions for chestnut or garbanzo flour. Most gluten-free recipes seem to just be using ready-made corn tortillas.

Here are some gluten-free crepe recipes that should get you in the right direction:

https://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodid=738

http://www.mrbreakfast.com/superdisplay.asp?recipeid=857

http://www.wildoats.com/u/recipedetail11079/

HTH

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

I use Mission brand corn tortillas for burritos and they turn out really well. I actually just made some last night. Yum!

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

i have a couple of recipes for them, but i haven't tried them yet.

Christine

15 year old twins with celiac, diagnosed dec. 2005

11 year old daughter with celiac diagnosed dec 2005

17 year old son with celiac gene

I have not bought them yet, but Trader Joes has a gluten free tortilla on their list of gluten free products. Our closest TJ's is 45 mins away, but I'm going to chance it this week! I'm a mexican food junkie! I'm going to need tortillas'

I'll let you know how they are once I try them. I can only imagine they'll be great, I love TJ's stuff!

I bought Mrs Robens tortilla mix and just received a tortilla press for Xmas so I can actually make it. I'll let you know how they are.

1994 implanted with saline filled breast impalnts

1995 began getting sick with multiple symptoms, syndromes, etc. spent the next 10 years chronically ill

2005 found out I had faulty saline breast implants and was internally poisoned

2005 had implants properly removed with immediate 80% recovery of most symptoms

6/2006 started gluten free diet when digestive problems were not healing, even after agressively fighting candidiasis

8/2006 Enterolab results Fecal Antigliadin IgA 12 (Normal Range <10 Units)

"There are a million right ways and only one wrong way. It is wrong to think that your way is the only right way!"

I bought Mrs Robens tortilla mix and just received a tortilla press for Xmas so I can actually make it. I'll let you know how they are.

Can't wait to hear how it goes- where did you buy the Mrs Robens mix?

We have a Trader Joes and I've been there recently but didn't look at thier tortillas- I'll have to check it out next time I'm there.

Thanks!

Marcia-

Diagnosed Celiac based on equivocal results on blood seriology tests, did not have a biopsy due to already eating gluten free (I didn't know any better at the time to keep eating gluten until all tests could be done).

Diagnosis came 3 months after the birth of my first child at age 31 (I believe childbirth was my trigger).

Gluten Free since 8/06

Genetic testing revealed:

I have one copy of DQ2 (DQA1 05/DQB1 02)

Son- 3 years old, so far not showing any signs of digestive issues and does eat gluten- fingers crossed!

Second baby born after I have been gluten free for 2 1/2 years- a healthy boy weighing in at 9 pounds at birth!

Can't wait to hear how it goes- where did you buy the Mrs Robens mix?

We have a Trader Joes and I've been there recently but didn't look at thier tortillas- I'll have to check it out next time I'm there.

Thanks!

I'll probably try to make them this week sometime for dinner. You can buy Mrs Robens mixes online, and darn if I didn't forget the website..... here it is.... http://www.missroben.com/ They actually have a huge selection of all things gluten-free, but I like that she has put together many mixes including the Bette Hagman flour mix. I haven't been dissapointed yet by anything that I've tried from there.

1994 implanted with saline filled breast impalnts

1995 began getting sick with multiple symptoms, syndromes, etc. spent the next 10 years chronically ill

2005 found out I had faulty saline breast implants and was internally poisoned

2005 had implants properly removed with immediate 80% recovery of most symptoms

6/2006 started gluten free diet when digestive problems were not healing, even after agressively fighting candidiasis

8/2006 Enterolab results Fecal Antigliadin IgA 12 (Normal Range <10 Units)

"There are a million right ways and only one wrong way. It is wrong to think that your way is the only right way!"

I like corn tortillas just fine, but to be honest I really miss burritos. (I've tried a store bought rice tortilla (flour tortilla substitute) and it was yucky!)

Has anyone made their own "flour" tortillas with gluten-free ingreedients? I've been considering buying a tortilla press if it is possible to make them and have them turn out.

Any thoughts??

I made these hust once so far, but it was easy and my son liked them!

Gluten-free Flour Tortillas

Mix together the following:

3 Cups of Rice Flour

1 Cups of Potato Starch Flour

1/2 Cup Tapioca Flour

or use already made gluten-free Flour mixes

2 Cups gluten-free Flour mix

1 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum

2 teaspoons sugar

1 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons instant milk powder or non-dairy substitute

1 Cup warm water

combine the flour, xanthan gum, sugar, salt and milk powder.

in bowl of electric mixer, and whisk together.

Add water and beat on medium speed for about 1 minute

Remove dough from mixer and form ball. Divide the ball into 6 or 8 parts.

On a corn starch dusted plastic wrap, roll out each piece very thin until it forms a 10" to 12" round.

Roll all the pieces, separate them with plastic wrap, and remove before cooking

Heat griddle to medium-hot or hot and cook each tortilla about 1 minute on each side.

from "The Gluten-Free Gourmet" by Bette Hagman

Bev

Mom of Garrett - Mizzou freshman; diagnosed Jan 2005