Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

ShortStuff2309

Mcdonald's French Fries

Rate this topic

But they don't deep fry the nuggets or fish anymore, they bake them on trays in a little oven thing, right? I've seen them pulling them out of the ovens. Or are those just warming ovens?

Sadly, I just checked both the website and another source http://www.celiacsociety.com/default.asp

http://app.mcdonalds.com/countries/usa/foo...s/allergens.pdf

Both say that the fries contian wheat :o(

I don't know how much or if it's a matter of not being able to *prove* there's none, but I'm not up for taking any chances. Sigh. Oh, well....it wasn't my healthiest habit anyway!

All McDonald's are set up and designed to have dedicated fryers, that is corporate policy. However, after the restaurant is opened it is up the the franchise owner and manger as to how they decide to utilize the equipment. Most, probably 90%+, operate them as dedicated fryers as that is the way they have been trained. Of course, in the case of a rush, you never know what an unsupervised,experienced fry cook might pull to save a little time.

If you are really jonesing for a McD fry fix and want to minimize CC issues, go in at non-peak traffic times, watch for a few minutes, and order when they drop a new batch. Most fryers are located front -left of the counter and you can watch the entire handling process.

As far as a Mc D hamburger sitting on a shelf for nine years :P , 80% urban legend, 20% truth. I've heard date ranges from five years to infinity. The recommended frozen shelf life is 30 months. I think the main point is that with all the preservatives and enzymes they contain, the patty itself is fairly resistant to decay. It wouldn't surprise me one iota if you let a cooked one sit for a year and it still looked edible :o

I'm not trying to defend mcdonalds because personally, I've never been a Mcdonald fries lover anyway. They're OK, but I prefer others. However, my son worked there and they only fry fries in a dedicated fryer. The Mcdonalds in our Walmart is small and you can see all the cooking. They have very set procedures for everything. I don't have any concerns regarding CC of the fries at our Mcdonalds. I wouldn't eat anything else though. Their burgers made me marginally ill even before I had celiac.

As regards the statement jc makes (quoted above). What is that supposed to mean? Are you saying mold won't grow on the bun? Or bacteria won't grow on the meat patti? Come on, that's really a silly statement now isn't it?

best regards, lm

Ever watched Nightline, 20/20 or CNN? The burger and bun looked the same, just alittle dry. So no, I don't think that's a "silly statement"!!!!

Great discussion!

These are my take-aways in researching this site and several others (not just for McD's but other items like beer & wine for a friend who crafts his own, but I am very sensitive +other digestive issues)

1. Cross contamination is always a possibility so be aware, be prepared & be safe.

2. Gov't regs regarding gluten-free claims are not great. Plus they deal in Parts Per Million (ppm) so as long as it is below the threshold, it can claim gluten-free. Your allergy & my sensitivity will be triggered at different levels, so we may react to to something that is less than 0.001ppm & is labeled as gluten-free.

3. Some cooking/processing procedures can destroy the offending allergen  (this case, gluten). I got this from 2 sources. One when I was trying to learn about gluten-free alcohol products. The other from a friend whose daughter is severely allergic to peanuts, coconut & a few other items. She spoke to the Allergist about a food item her daughter was exposed to but did not react as expected (thankfully!). After looking into it, the doctor explained that even though the allergen is listed, it may not have been the part of the food that she is allergic to (I know I am explaining this poorly, sorry) &/or the processing of the ingredient can alter it on a molecular level so as to not cause a reaction. Apparently the opposite is true: processing changes can cause us to react to things we otherwise wouldn't.

4. I don't find McD's to be greasy (you should see how I cook!). But it is so full of chemicals it's no wonder humans don't process it well.

5. COOK :-D

Certainly, I am not an expert & I know I probably didn't interpret everything correctly. So, if you have more info to help correct my "take-aways", it would be welcomed.

Thank you!

13 hours ago, sick-of-it-all said:

Enough! MC Fries are gluten free after deep frying. The small amount of wheat and milk products are gone after deep frying. I eat them all the time. People are getting sick because its in your mind. MC Fries are gluten free.

how are they 'gone' after deep frying.............?

because of cc, i avoid mcd's - not a careful environment - even if they were trying to keep a fryer dedicated, too many opportunities for mistakes.  i am in the u.s.

ps - this is a very old thread, i suggest contacting the company for updated ingredient list :)