This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Are Some Things You Noticed Right Away After

geminigal

geminigal Rookie

;) I am starting day 3 of being gluten-free and I was wondering what results you have seen immediatly?

So far I haven't had any D and my tummy seems much less bloated. :)

I am curious as to what to expect and what others saw!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star

No brain fog, no headaches, no depression - all within the first day.

Ann1231 Enthusiast

no gas, no depression, no anxiety, less bloat. all within a day or two.

Nantzie Collaborator

In the first week the things that changed for me were:

- Abdominal bloating.

- Bloating in my face. I had developed kind of a doughy look to my face, which made me feel awful about myself. It went away within just a couple days.

- Gas.

- The really urgent diarrhea where I had to RUN to the bathroom 10 feet away. I still had soft stools for a while, but the urgent diarrhea went away.

- Pain and mobility issues to the point I could barely walk. Long story, but I wasn't able to go to a doctor for this so I had no diagnosis. I was suspecting fibromyalgia. When it went away with the gluten-free diet, I was really surprised. It literally went away in one day. On the days I didn't eat gluten, I had no pain.

- Exhaustion. I used to struggle just to stay awake. Now I feel like a normal person. I noticed a big difference the first week, and it continued to improve over the next several months.

- Headaches. I almost forgot about this. I was having headaches so constantly for so many years that I didn't even realize I was having headaches. That was bizarre. In the first week, my head felt lighter and less tense. Then the first time I got glutened I got hit with a headache that made my head feel like it used to. Looking back, the symptoms fit migraines and I even can point back to times when I saw visual auras, but didn't think much of them at the time.

It just makes me shudder how gluten can do all of this. Especially since all of these things improved within days or a week. Even after being gluten-free for a year, the whole thing still just stuns me.

So many people don't see improvement for weeks or months. I feel so lucky to have improved so much so quickly. I'm glad to hear you're seeing improvement so quickly as well.

Nancy

Ursa Major Collaborator

The awful watery diarrhea went away by the next day (and I had it for six months). My terrible backache got much better within a day as well. All the other pains started getting better. My feet weren't swollen.

covsooze Enthusiast

My really offensive wind :ph34r: went straight away! DH was very impressed...

jamrock Rookie
The awful watery diarrhea went away by the next day (and I had it for six months). My terrible backache got much better within a day as well. All the other pains started getting better. My feet weren't swollen.
Hi Ursa Happy new year to you

Did that back ache you had felt like it was deep down in the spine?

My feet are still swollen everyday although I am trying to stick to a Gluten free diet. Whenever I stand for over 30 minutes it gets worse. Any advice?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cathzozo Apprentice

For me, I stopped having D immediately. :)

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

I'm only on day 2. But I have to say, I've taken a nap almost every day for the last....um.....7 years....not a long one mind you, but at least a power nap every day. EXCEPT yesterday and today. I actually have a tiny bit more energy...surprised me.

Nantze - I'm so encouraged by your story. I HAVE been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. I've read some of your other posts and we seem to have presented very similarly. I'm encouraged to keep going to see that I may, finally, after over a decade, have relief and feel like a human being again!

:D

SpikeMoore Apprentice

Within 4 days I woke up and felt a sense of well being internally. I called it "happy guts". I hadn't realized what it was like to feel normal in years. I realized that there had always been a low grade discomfort.

It's been 2 months and I still feel great. I've gained 5 lbs (needed them), bruises gone, dark circles under eyes gone and no more itchy rashes.

Felidae Enthusiast

Less diarrhea, less gas, no bloating, fewer headaches, less anxiety, hair regrowth, more energy.

Eliza13 Contributor

I got my period 5 weeks after being gluten free. Had not had one in over a year.

marciab Enthusiast

By the end of the first day, I was no longer hyper. My mind was stopped racing and I could actually listen to conversations ...

It took at least 4 months for my digestive tract to stop hurting ... Marcia

Ursa Major Collaborator
Hi Ursa Happy new year to you

Did that back ache you had felt like it was deep down in the spine?

My feet are still swollen everyday although I am trying to stick to a Gluten free diet. Whenever I stand for over 30 minutes it gets worse. Any advice?

My back ache was mostly in my lower back, and was getting worse every day, despite seeing my chiropractor twice a week. I could hardly move any more, without my back 'going out', and just about collapsing. And yes, it felt like it was deep down in my spine. But also, my back muscles were cramping.

My feet stopped being swollen (the swelling came back after a couple of months) when eliminating lectins and salicylates as well.

Archived