Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Daisy Duke

Mayonaise And Ketchup

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Heinz organic ketchup, for one. (The company says it is not gluten free.) NEVER assume "all" of a type of processed food is gluten-free; ALWAYS check the labels.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

Actually, even Heinz Organic Ketchup is now gluten-free!

http://www.heinz.com/Consumer_faq.aspx#Glu...Free%20Products

Woot! Another reason to *always* read lables/call companies/not assume - things change all the time. :)

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

Lisa,

Just so you know, distilled vinegar, regardless of the source, IS safe. https://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodi...-50107552071.07 The American Dietitic Association has stated so.

I believe that their apprehension is based on old information (for years, vinegar was a serious worry) and worries about the new labeling law. I am going to contact them, because basically all condiments have distilled vinegar, and they do not contain "trace amounts." I wonder if this is more of a CYA situation. The gluten protein is too big to pass through the distillation process. Plus, the fact that they include corn (and corn has gluten, but its not gluten in the sense that we react to) makes me suspicious that they dont know what they are talking about. But thats just my two cents.

Laura

Laura -

Let me know what you find out :)

Lisa

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page" -St. Augustine

Lisa,

I will do that! I find it frustrating when companies are apparently trying to do well....but do more harm than good. Their information flies in the face of the American Dietetic Association, all of the Celiac awareness groups, and nutritionists, dieticians, Celiac authors, food labeling laws, .... the list goes on and on, hence my concern :). Although I'm sure I'll get a canned answer from them---wouldn't surprise me!

Laura

As pointed out, Hunt's for some reason still thinks all distilled vinegar has gluten. While I cannot guarantee every mayo and ketchup in the world is gluten-free, I don't know of any that aren't. Just read the ingredients.

richard