Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fiddle-Faddle

Nut Torte With Chocolate Buttercream Frosting

This recipe is in my trusty old Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook (well, it was new in 1989). Since it only calls for 2 Tablespoons of flour, seems to me it ought to adapt to gluten-free very easily:

2 Tablespoons gluten-free flour

1 Tablespoon baking powder

1 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel

4 eggs

3/4 cup sugar

2 1/2 cups walnuts, pecans, or hazelnuts

chocolate buttercream frosting (recipe below)

Stir together first three ingredients. Set aside. Process eggs and sugar in food processor til smooth. Add nuts; process 1 minute or until nearly smooth. Add flour mix; process til just combined.

Spread into 2 greased and floured 8-inch pans. Bake at 350 until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks 10 minutes. Frost.

Chocolate Buttercream:

1 stick butter

2/3 cup cocoa powder (unsweetened)

3 cups sifted powdered sugar

1/4-1/2 cup milk

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/4 teaspoon salt.

Blend butter and cocoa, in mixer add the rest, reserving 1/4 cup milk. Beat on low speed for 2-3 minutes. Add more milk if necessary.

Once I started to make my own frostings, I realized how quick and easy it is. I recently tried canned frosting (which I used to use all the time,thinking that it would save a ton of time), and as soon as I opened the lid, the smell of not-very-fresh-shortening hit my nose. I had two more cans (different manufacturers), so I opened them both, and they all had that not-fresh, chemical smell. I ended up making my own anyway, and the difference in taste was just amazing.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):