Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RiceAddict

Rice Cookers

I bought myself a rice cooker for Xmas, and for the most part, I love it. Before the cooker I sometimes used broth to flavor the rice, or butter. I'm now turning to you cooking experts out there. Can I use broth in the rice cooker or add butter? Any other ideas to flavor the rice?

Any help would be appreciated.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Yes you can add broth. You can use all broth in place of the water or part broth, part water. I use broth at times but I've just started using some olive oil in with the water. I've found it's better to use more water than the cooker calls for. My cooker calls for for example: 4 cups brown rice with 5 3/4 cups water. I used to use 6. Now I've just uped it to 8 cups water with say about 1/4-1/2 cup oil. Makes the rice softer.

I don't eat dairy but I'm sure you could also use butter. Rice cookers are pretty forgiving and pretty easy to clean.

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

I'm adding peeled, diced raw sweet potatoes, not yams, to white sticky rice for my son's lunch tomorrow. They come out perfectly cooked and retain their shape. Same thing applies to carrots. We also add frozen green peas, mixed mushrooms or bamboo shoots. It is safe to add cubed raw chicken as long as it's fresh and you eat it when it's ready( as opposed to setting it on automatic and eating it later in the day) and refrigerate leftovers instead of leaving it on the keep warm cycle, if your's has one.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

Not sure how it works in rice cooker, but I find that when I make my brown rice on the stove I use a can of coconut milk and it comes out very yummy and creamy :P , very darn close to rice pudding if I use 2 cans...

I have a very basic rice cooker....with only two settings, cook and warm. I use broth instead of water, and I add the butter after it's already cooked. The only problem I have is that if I let it sit on the warm setting for a while after it's cooked, it forms a brown film on the bottom. I try to mix it up right after it's cooked, that's when I add the butter, then it doesn't have time to brown on the bottom.

I have also found that it's very dry the next day, but it's the perfect texture for stir fry. Otherwise, I have to add a bit more water before I microwave the leftovers.

Aizlynn....can you tell me how much brown rice you use per can of coconut milk? I would love to try this, I think it would be a great way to get my kids to eat brown rice. They don't like the taste, but if it was more like a rice pudding, they might like it. Thanks!

Tamara, mom to 4 gluten & casein free kiddos!

Age 11 - Psoriasis

Age 8- dx'd Celiac March 2005

Age 6- gluten-free/cf, allergy related seizures

Age 4 - reflux, resolved with gluten-free/cf

Helpful Hint: if you have left over rice, put it in a microwave safe bowl and put an ice cube right in the middle. Cover and microwave - the steam from the ice cube makes the rice moist and fluffly again!

Ev in Michigan

GFDF since 8/20/05

Negative Bloodwork ~

Dr. encourages me to trust my

"Gut Reaction"