• Join our community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

• Ads by Google:

Get email alerts Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

Ads by Google:

Get email alertsSubscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   04/24/2018

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to Celiac.com's FREE weekly eNewsletter   What is Celiac Disease and the Gluten-Free Diet? What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease?  Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet What if my doctor won't listen to me? An Open Letter to Skeptical Health Care Practitioners Gluten-Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes
  • ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Who's Online   11 Members, 2 Anonymous, 534 Guests (See full list)

• Top Posters +

• Recent Articles

Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 04/26/2018 - Emily Dickson is one of Canada’s top athletes. As a world-class competitor in the biathlon, the event that combines cross-country skiing with shooting marksmanship, Emily Dickson was familiar with a demanding routine of training and competition. After discovering she had celiac disease, Dickson is using her diagnosis and gluten-free diet a fuel to help her get her mojo back.
    Just a few years ago, Dickson dominated her peers nationally and won a gold medal at Canada Games for both pursuit and team relay. She also won silver in the sprint and bronze in the individual race. But just as she was set to reach her peak, Dickson found herself in an agonizing battle. She was suffering a mysterious loss of strength and endurance, which itself caused huge anxiety for Dickson. As a result of these physical and mental pressures, Dickson slipped from her perch as one of Canada's most promising young biathletes.
    Eventually, in September 2016, she was diagnosed with celiac disease. Before the diagnosis, Dickson said, she had “a lot of fatigue, I just felt tired in training all the time and I wasn't responding to my training and I wasn't recovering well and I had a few things going on, but nothing that pointed to celiac.”
    It took a little over a year for Dickson to eliminate gluten, and begin to heal her body. She still hasn’t fully recovered, which makes competing more of a challenge, but, she says improving steadily, and expects to be fully recovered in the next few months. Dickson’s diagnosis was prompted when her older sister Kate tested positive for celiac, which carries a hereditary component. "Once we figured out it was celiac and we looked at all the symptoms it all made sense,” said Dickson.
    Dickson’s own positive test proved to be both a revelation and a catalyst for her own goals as an athlete. Armed with there new diagnosis, a gluten-free diet, and a body that is steadily healing, Dickson is looking to reap the benefits of improved strength, recovery and endurance to ramp up her training and competition results.
    Keep your eyes open for the 20-year-old native of Burns Lake, British Columbia. Next season, she will be competing internationally, making a big jump to the senior ranks, and hopefully a regular next on the IBU Cup tour.
    Read more at princegeorgecitizen.com

Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 04/25/2018 - A team of Yale University researchers discovered that bacteria in the small intestine can travel to other organs and trigger an autoimmune response. In this case, they looked at Enterococcus gallinarum, which can travel beyond the gut to the spleen, lymph nodes, and liver. The research could be helpful for treating type 1 diabetes, lupus, and celiac disease.
    In autoimmune diseases, such as type 1 diabetes, lupus, and celiac disease, the body’s immune system mistakenly attacks healthy cells and tissues. Autoimmune disease affects nearly 24 million people in the United States. 
    In their study, a team of Yale University researchers discovered that bacteria in the small intestine can travel to other organs and trigger an autoimmune response. In this case, they looked at Enterococcus gallinarum, which can travel beyond the gut to the spleen, lymph nodes, and liver. They found that E. gallinarum triggered an autoimmune response in the mice when it traveled beyond the gut.
    They also found that the response can be countered by using antibiotics or vaccines to suppress the autoimmune reaction and prevent the bacterium from growing. The researchers were able to duplicate this mechanism using cultured human liver cells, and they also found the bacteria E. gallinarum in the livers of people with autoimmune disease.
    The team found that administering an antibiotic or vaccine to target E. gallinarum suppressed the autoimmune reaction in the mice and prevented the bacterium from growing. "When we blocked the pathway leading to inflammation," says senior study author Martin Kriegel, "we could reverse the effect of this bug on autoimmunity."
    Team research team plans to further investigate the biological mechanisms that are associated with E. gallinarum, along with the potential implications for systemic lupus and autoimmune liver disease.
    This study indicates that gut bacteria may be the key to treating chronic autoimmune conditions such as systemic lupus and autoimmune liver disease. Numerous autoimmune conditions have been linked to gut bacteria.
    Read the full study in Science.

Tammy Rhodes
    Celiac.com 04/24/2018 - Did you know in 2017 alone, the United States had OVER TENS OF THOUSANDS of people evacuate their homes due to natural disasters such as fires, floods, hurricanes, tornadoes and tsunamis? Most evacuation sites are not equipped to feed your family the safe gluten free foods that are required to stay healthy.  Are you prepared in case of an emergency? Do you have your Gluten Free Emergency Food Bag ready to grab and go?  
    I have already lived through two natural disasters. Neither of which I ever want to experience again, but they taught me a very valuable lesson, which is why I created a Gluten Free Emergency Food Bag (see link below). Here’s my story. If you’ve ever lived in or visited the Los Angeles area, you’re probably familiar with the Santa Ana winds and how bitter sweet they are. Sweet for cleaning the air and leaving the skies a brilliant crystal blue, and bitter for the power outages and potential brush fires that might ensue.  It was one of those bitter nights where the Santa Ana winds were howling, and we had subsequently lost our power. We had to drive over an hour just to find a restaurant so we could eat dinner. I remember vividly seeing the glow of a brush fire on the upper hillside of the San Gabriel Mountains, a good distance from our neighborhood. I really didn’t think much of it, given that it seemed so far from where we lived, and I was hungry! After we ate, we headed back home to a very dark house and called it a night. 
    That’s where the story takes a dangerous turn….about 3:15am. I awoke to the TV blaring loudly, along with the lights shining brightly. Our power was back on! I proceeded to walk throughout the house turning everything off at exactly the same time our neighbor, who was told to evacuate our street, saw me through our window, assuming I knew that our hillside was ablaze with flames. Flames that were shooting 50 feet into the air. I went back to bed and fell fast asleep. The fire department was assured we had left because our house was dark and quiet again. Two hours had passed.  I suddenly awoke to screams coming from a family member yelling, “fire, fire, fire”! Flames were shooting straight up into the sky, just blocks from our house. We lived on a private drive with only one way in and one way out.  The entrance to our street was full of smoke and the fire fighters were doing their best to save our neighbors homes. We literally had enough time to grab our dogs, pile into the car, and speed to safety. As we were coming down our street, fire trucks passed us with sirens blaring, and I wondered if I would ever see my house and our possessions ever again. Where do we go? Who do we turn to? Are shelters a safe option? 
    When our daughter was almost three years old, we left the West Coast and relocated to Northern Illinois. A place where severe weather is a common occurrence. Since the age of two, I noticed that my daughter appeared gaunt, had an incredibly distended belly, along with gas, stomach pain, low weight, slow growth, unusual looking stool, and a dislike for pizza, hotdog buns, crackers, Toast, etc. The phone call from our doctor overwhelmed me.  She was diagnosed with Celiac Disease. I broke down into tears sobbing. What am I going to feed my child? Gluten is everywhere.
    After being scoped at Children's Hospital of Chicago, and my daughters Celiac Disease officially confirmed, I worried about her getting all the nutrients her under nourished body so desperately needed. I already knew she had a peanut allergy from blood tests, but just assumed she would be safe with other nuts. I was so horribly wrong. After feeding her a small bite of a pistachio, which she immediately spit out, nuts would become her enemy. Her anaphylactic reaction came within minutes of taking a bite of that pistachio. She was complaining of horrible stomach cramps when the vomiting set in. She then went limp and starting welting. We called 911.
    Now we never leave home without our Epipens and our gluten free food supplies. We analyze every food label. We are hyper vigilant about cross contamination. We are constantly looking for welts and praying for no stomach pain. We are always prepared and on guard. It's just what we do now. Anything to protect our child, our love...like so many other parents out there have to do every moment of ever day!  
    Then, my second brush with a natural disaster happened, without any notice, leaving us once again scrambling to find a safe place to shelter. It was a warm and muggy summer morning, and my husband was away on a business trip leaving my young daughter and me to enjoy our summer day. Our Severe Weather Alert Radio was going off, again, as I continued getting our daughter ready for gymnastics.  Having gotten used to the (what seemed to be daily) “Severe Thunderstorm warning,” I didn’t pay much attention to it. I continued downstairs with my daughter and our dog, when I caught a glimpse out the window of an incredibly black looking cloud. By the time I got downstairs, I saw the cover to our grill literally shoot straight up into the air. Because we didn’t have a fenced in yard, I quickly ran outside and chased the cover, when subsequently, I saw my neighbor’s lawn furniture blow pass me. I quickly realized I made a big mistake going outside. As I ran back inside, I heard debris hitting the front of our home.  Our dog was the first one to the basement door! As we sat huddled in the dark corner of our basement, I was once again thinking where are we going to go if our house is destroyed. I was not prepared, and I should have been. I should have learned my lesson the first time. Once the storm passed, we quickly realized we were without power and most of our trees were destroyed. We were lucky that our house had minimal damage, but that wasn’t true for most of the area surrounding us.  We were without power for five days. We lost most of our food - our gluten free food.
    That is when I knew we had to be prepared. No more winging it. We couldn’t take a chance like that ever again. We were “lucky” one too many times. We were very fortunate that we did not lose our home to the Los Angeles wildfire, and only had minimal damage from the severe storm which hit our home in Illinois.

In 2017 alone, FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency) had 137 natural disasters declared within the United States. According to FEMA, around 50% of the United States population isn’t prepared for a natural disaster. These disasters can happen anywhere, anytime and some without notice. It’s hard enough being a parent, let alone being a parent of a gluten free family member. Now, add a natural disaster on top of that. Are you prepared?
    You can find my Gluten Free Emergency Food Bags and other useful products at www.allergynavigator.com.  

Jefferson Adams
    Celiac.com 04/23/2018 - A team of researchers recently set out to learn whether celiac disease patients commonly suffer cognitive impairment at the time they are diagnosed, and to compare their cognitive performance with non-celiac subjects with similar chronic symptoms and to a group of healthy control subjects.
    The research team included G Longarini, P Richly, MP Temprano, AF Costa, H Vázquez, ML Moreno, S Niveloni, P López, E Smecuol, R Mazure, A González, E Mauriño, and JC Bai. They are variously associated with the Small Bowel Section, Department of Medicine, Dr. C. Bonorino Udaondo Gastroenterology Hospital; Neurocience Cognitive and Traslational Institute (INECO), Favaloro Fundation, CONICET, Buenos Aires; the Brain Health Center (CESAL), Quilmes, Argentina; the Research Council, MSAL, CABA; and with the Research Institute, School of Medicine, Universidad del Salvador.
    The team enrolled fifty adults with symptoms and indications of celiac disease in a prospective cohort without regard to the final diagnosis.  At baseline, all individuals underwent cognitive functional and psychological evaluation. The team then compared celiac disease patients with subjects without celiac disease, and with healthy controls matched by sex, age, and education.
    Celiac disease patients had similar cognitive performance and anxiety, but no significant differences in depression scores compared with disease controls.
    A total of thirty-three subjects were diagnosed with celiac disease. Compared with the 26 healthy control subjects, the 17 celiac disease subjects, and the 17 disease control subjects, who mostly had irritable bowel syndrome, showed impaired cognitive performance (P=0.02 and P=0.04, respectively), functional impairment (P<0.01), and higher depression (P<0.01). 
    From their data, the team noted that any abnormal cognitive functions they saw in adults with newly diagnosed celiac disease did not seem not to be a result of the disease itself. 
    Their results indicate that cognitive dysfunction in celiac patients could be related to long-term symptoms from chronic disease, in general.
    Source:
    J Clin Gastroenterol. 2018 Mar 1. doi: 10.1097/MCG.0000000000001018.

Connie Sarros
    Celiac.com 04/21/2018 - Dear Friends and Readers,
    I have been writing articles for Scott Adams since the 2002 Summer Issue of the Scott-Free Press. The Scott-Free Press evolved into the Journal of Gluten Sensitivity. I felt honored when Scott asked me ten years ago to contribute to his quarterly journal and it's been a privilege to write articles for his publication ever since.
    Due to personal health reasons and restrictions, I find that I need to retire. My husband and I can no longer travel the country speaking at conferences and to support groups (which we dearly loved to do) nor can I commit to writing more books, articles, or menus. Consequently, I will no longer be contributing articles to the Journal of Gluten Sensitivity. 
    My following books will still be available at Amazon.com:
    Gluten-free Cooking for Dummies Student's Vegetarian Cookbook for Dummies Wheat-free Gluten-free Dessert Cookbook Wheat-free Gluten-free Reduced Calorie Cookbook Wheat-free Gluten-free Cookbook for Kids and Busy Adults (revised version) My first book was published in 1996. My journey since then has been incredible. I have met so many in the celiac community and I feel blessed to be able to call you friends. Many of you have told me that I helped to change your life – let me assure you that your kind words, your phone calls, your thoughtful notes, and your feedback throughout the years have had a vital impact on my life, too. Thank you for all of your support through these years.

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    JRLovejoy

• Topics

• First, about 35% of the population carries the genes that could (rare) develop into celiac disease.  The genetic test just simply rules out celiac disease.  I guess he could develop it....some day or never.   Baby?  Get your daughter to your Ped.  Babies can develop rashes (e.g. eczema)  for so many things.  It could be a wheat allergy and not even celiac disease which is an autoimmune disorder.  Celiac disease in the form of dermatitis herpetiformis (aka celiac rash)  is pretty unheard of in infants.  It is SUPER rare — like one case discovered back in 1966!   Just curious.  The old method of grain (cereal) introduction was to give rice cereal.  Is that old outdated advice?   Kudos for you for breastfeeding!    It was my fondest aspect of early motherhood.  So easy and convenient.  My daughter (she is 17 now) was super healthy and her ped attributed her good health to breastfeeding and good wholesome foods — not processed.   Get to the doctor.  Do not try to diagnose an infant!  Trust your good mommy instincts.  Your baby is suffering!    
    • hi Bananababy, I had been getting so gradually sick that I don't know when it started, (but I am now assuming 1994).  In 2008, I succumbed to pressure from my insurance rep to get more insurance, and they would even come to my house to test my blood.  I was denied insurance and recommended to see my doctor, who told me I had the liver of a severe alcoholic.  I very rarely drink. I went for tests and the doctor was baffled.  He said I should lose weight.  He said it was likely fatty liver disease. That was 2008.  For the next few years I got tests, tried to eat healthy, and every so often I would see if it was helping my liver numbers. I got stomach aches when I ate toast or a sandwich, but didnt link it to the toast except later, in hindsight.  How could toast give me a stomach ache?  Anyway, on the advice of my doctor, I tried very hard to lose weight, so went lo-carb.  One day, I had had no breakfast and at church 'goodie-time' was unable to resist all the carbs.  Later that afternoon, I felt like someone had literally poisoned me. This was now 2011.  I decided to not eat or drink anything but almonds and organic cold pressed  apple juice in a glass jar, and ate only those things for the next 3-4 days while I looked for symptoms on the Internet. I narrowed it down to celiac disease and went to the doctor.  I refused to eat gluten to get the test.  I decided not to eat gluten and I got better. I then started a job in China.  I learned how to say things like "no soy sauce" since it's made from wheat.  I got so much better.  I knew what my reactions were to gluten, especially the one that happened first: I would get a shakiness inside, like my blood system was micro-vibrating. i got the flu and was in bed for three days straight eating only mandarin oranges and water.  After a couple of days, I got that shakiness, suddenly, lying in bed.  I was astounded, cause I had only water and oranges.  Then I remembered that I had taken two Advil, in the gel cap form.  I looked on the Internet, and sure enough, the gel caps contained gluten.  Wow.  Even that small amount in two gel caps set it off. I was very vigilant.  Then one day, back in Canada, I was making hot dogs for a four-year-old and I had fresh bakery buns.  I couldn't resist.  I guess I thought, well, it's been a couple of years gluten free, let's see what happens.  I ate one and a half huge bakery hot dog buns on impulse.  Big mistake. I got so, so sick.  I was sick for 6 weeks with various symptoms.  Spleen pain, liver pain, kidney pain, migraine headaches, stomach issues, constipation, dizziness, brain fog, irritability, etc.  This was 2013. After one week of still being sick, I thought it's probably too late, but I should get that celiac test to see if there are detectable antibodies.  I went to the doctor, who didn't think it was necessary and insisted it was fatty liver disease and not celiac.  He humoured me and gave me the requisition anyway. i was shocked to see that my antibody level was 99. ( If you have less than 20 you don't have Celiac. It is called tTg test).  If you have 100, they say you don't really need a biopsy and it's pretty much confirmed celiac.  The doctor was a little bit embarrassed and said, "looks like you've diagnosed yourself". So finally he shut up about fatty liver disease.   I got so much better living in China.  I occasionally slipped. I  then went back to canada for a year.  I developed DH, as I got these lesions starting on my thumb and then on my fingers and palms.  Finally after 6 months I cut out dairy.  I had heard it was also somehow bad for Celiacs from the Internet but I really didn't want to cut out dairy as it was bad enough without gluten.  I finally did and the DH cleared up.   Then back to China.  I would go back to Canada twice a year for the time off from spring and summer holidays.  It was really hard to be around western food temptations and I would get "glutened" even though I tried hard. I began to get a strange pain in my leg and the doctor in canada said it was likely arthritis in my hip.  i went for an xray but it didnt show anything.  it really killed me to get that pain in my leg and then in my hip.  i would cry out and have to sit down.  i started riding my bike to work in china cause it was painful to walk very far.  I had started to reintroduce dairy while in China and found that I could eat yogurt, which I love. I had heard that people blamed their gluten reactions on Roundup, or glyphosate, because they could eat flour products in other countries but not North America.  One day about six months ago I made cookies for my students.  I wore gloves and was very careful.  Before this, I wouldn't even be in the same room with flour.  But nothing happened.  Then I tasted a cookie.  Nothing happened!!  The next day, I ate a whole cookie. Nothing happened!!  I began to think there was something to the theory of North America and roundup.  I still avoided flour in general cause I didn't want to push it, but I started eating soy sauce and relaxed a bit - started going to restaurants in china, etc. instead of micromanaging food in my kitchen, cause I was evidently not reacting to gluten in China.  I then realized that the only episodes of pain I had had were when I was in Canada the previous summer and spring.  Very strange. So.  I got back to Canada, last spring, had my usual gluten free meal on the airplane, and then visited my mother.  I ate only organic yogurt.  Nothing else, and a few hours later I was attacked by almost every gluten related pain I had ever had.  My hip was suddenly shooting pain and I cried out and limped to the couch.  My mother asked, what did you eat?  I said, nothing!  Only organic yogurt!   Of course after any glutening, it takes weeks for these pains to subside, and I endured pain stabs in my spleen for a while.  Then back to China, where I was able to eat normally.  No pains, nothing.  I ate yogurt, made myself with uht milk imported from Germany or Australia, and I was fine.     Until the day when I ate one of the chocolate bars I had brought from Canada as prizes for my students.  Instant reaction! Spleen pain!  I had heard that sugar cane was as bad as flour for being drenched in roundup.  Now I was convinced. It was definitely stuff from Canada that was the culprit.  Only farm products.  Yes, they say the yogurt is organic, but I'm sure they feed the milk cows hay that has been exposed to roundup.   Now I know exactly what I can eat and where.  I love the food here, and it's safe.  There are exceptions.  They use pesticides on fruit, cause I get a stomach ache when I eat certain fruits, but it's a different reaction that the gluten reaction,  I can eat flour products without a huge reaction, but I still have celiac, because I do get reactions even from Chinese flour, just not as bad as I did before.  A mild sick feeling, like something is off, kind of unbalanced, and of course the inevitable shakiness.  I react much worse to Canadian chocolate.  But there is a huge difference between food here and food there.  A very painful difference.  Hard to figure out, but I think I have. so here's my theory,  roundup actually causes the celiac disease, or whatever disease you might happen to be genetically susceptible to. (My uncle has arthritis in his hip). If you keep ingesting it, you will get gradually sicker and sicker and get some kind of disease.  If you stop eating roundup completely, you will heal with a healthy diet.  If you already have a disease like celiac or DH you can manage it and stay healthy if you are totally roundup free. My dad died of nonHodgkins lymphoma and he insisted it was the roundup the neighbor had been spraying on his farm, right next to my dads organic hobby farm.  Now I believe him. I wish I'd been able to piece this together a bit earlier.  Since 1994, many diseases have hugely increased.  That's when they started with the roundup and there is a one on one correspondence on the graphs with roundup use and  many diseases. sorry for the novel but I just can't keep this all to myself,  I'm like the canary in the mine.  But roundup is everywhere so I don't know if you can really avoid it in North America, sadly. My advice is to move elsewhere and figure it out like I did. i saw a youtube video by an MIT researcher that they are now figuring out that glyphosate actually takes up the place of the essential amino acid glycine in your body.  Because they are molecularly similar, glyphosate gets in there and stops glycine from being able to do it's job in your body.  So it causes all sorts of problems in a gradual way and eventually you will have trouble. i hope this helps!  Stay away from farm products!  I hope it's not true what the conspiracy theorists say (that they are spraying chemicals, chemtrails etc.  I don't know if they are spraying roundup) but if it is, that's the end of the world as we know it.  I don't really want to go there,  I just know what I know and I'm sharing it.  Be blessed.  
    • Also not that it matters, but have had low iron on and off last 2 years. Just another reason why I’m testing. 
    • Every lab has different ranges.  Post the ranges and we might be able to help.
    • I am sorry you are suffering.  My best guess (and I am not a doctor) is that you probably have celiac disease.  The one thing I have learned is that symptoms can wax and wane.  For example, when I was diagnosed, I only suffered from anemia and had no noticeable GI symptoms (which made my diagnosis so shocking).  After a few gluten exposures, my symptoms changed dramatically.  In fact, I added some additional autoimmune disorders along the way.   I would advise you to go strictly gluten free.  I can tell you that I never eat out unless it is a 100% dedicated gluten-free facility.  Crazy, but feeling better is worth it.  To get you geared up fast, consider the Fasano diet.  It was developed for non-responsive celiacs that doctors thought they might be refractory, but most healed on the diet and later were able to resume a normal gluten-free diet.   http://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/9/10/1129/pdf
  • Blog Entries

• Upcoming Events