This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The Most Delicious Home-made Gluten Free Bread I've Ever Tasted...

mamatide

HiDee Rookie
Okay, I can't find garfava or sorghum locally. :( I have rice flour, potato starch, tapioca flour/starch, flaxseed meal, and Arrowhead Mills all purpose wheat free baking mix. Any recommendations for some substitutions there? I really want to try this out and I can't get to the HFS or place an order for another week or two.

You can do all rice flour in place of the bean flour and for the gluten-free flour (1 1/2 cups total rice flour). You can do tapioca starch if you don't have corn starch. I like the taste of sorghum added to brown rice but it will definitely work without sorghum or bean flour and you may like it better with all rice but it's fun to try dif. combos of flour til you find the taste you like. As many have said before, including the creator of the recipe, Laurie, it is a very forgiving recipe and can handle substitutions and changes in flour well.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
huevo-no-bueno Apprentice

I have this in the oven right now! I made the following substitutions, since I can't tolerate potato starch, cornstarch, bean flours, and of course the eggs:

Gluten Free Flour, 1 1/4 cups:

3/4 c. brown rice flour

2T quinoa flour

2T amaranth flour

2T sweet rice flour

2T millet flour

In place of the 1/4 c. garfava flour: 1/4 c. sorghum flour

In place of the 1/2 c. potato starch and 1/4 c. cornstarch: arrowroot starch

In place of two eggs and two whites: 3T flaxmeal and water to 1/3 cup

Everything else was as originally written.

I don't have a stand mixer, so I mixed it as long as I could with a wooden spoon.

I let it rise for 80 minutes in a warm oven--and no, it did not rise to the top of the pan, it is barely halfway up the sides of the pan. Maybe a 9x5 pan is too big. If it makes it to the top of the pan in the course of baking, I will be overjoyed.

It is now about 20 minutes from being done. It never rose more than about 1/4". I know there is nothing wrong with the yeast--it is fresh.

Where did I go wrong?

(1) Is there something funny about arrowroot starch that I don't know?

(2) Is it essential to own a stand mixer for this recipe to succeed?

(3) Are there other flours that work better when you cannot use eggs or egg replacer?

Thanks for your help.

huevo-no-bueno Apprentice

Well! I think I have already figured out a way to solve my problem: I will use baking soda and grain-free baking powder for the rise, with yeast added for flavor only. I have seen recipes that work this way before. I will also put it in an 8x4 pan and bake it at a lower temperature (325) for longer (about an hour).

Overall, it still made a perfect, wheat-like crumb, and the flour combination I used totally recreated the taste of wheat! I feel like I have really hit on something! :D

I'm going to share this with my friends and see if they think it tastes like wheat!

• 2 weeks later...
Blueyedtiger Newbie

Hi Everyone! This is my first time posting on this forum. I've been reading threads here since last week when I happened on this site. After reading all the raves on this bread I had to go out and buy myself flours to make this. I made it to go with soup for my dinner tonight and it came out perfect. That was my first time ever making bread with yeast and I must say it wasn't as hard as it had always seemed. My non-celiac parents enjoyed it too. It was so flavorful and so bread like. I have been eating the Food for Life Brown Rice Bread and it is like a brick. My old roommate said I never had to worry about being robbed on the way home from the store as I could just use the bread to knock out my attacker. I recently bought the a bread from ener-g and although it was soft and bread like, it did not taste too great.

Thank you to everyone who commented and convinced me to try my hand at baking bread.

:D You all absolutely have to try this bread. I cannot speak highly enough about its texture, taste, and ease of making it. It has that soft texture that is so familiar. Not crumbly at all!

We served it to our guests over Christmas and we all loved it. It's better fresh than after a couple of days but you don't have to toast it, you don't have to freeze it. It's simply delicious.

So thank you Laurie for this wonderful recipe. I really hope more people will try it and love it as much as we do!

Open Original Shared Link

I added my review to glutenfreegirl's.

• 2 weeks later...
celiac-mommy Collaborator

I've been looking at this recipe for a while now, planned on trying it but never got around to it. Since my dh went gluten-free, he's been on me to come up with a "normal" bread. Now, I like the Pamela's wheat free bread mix, but i made this last night and I LOVE this!!! I had to make a few substitutions with the flour, but it tastes like "normal" bread--better, if you ask me. My dh really likes it and it will now be a staple in our house. I'm going to make up baggies of the dry ingredients and keep in the fridge to expedite the process. I did the rise in a turned off oven, it rose over the edge of the pan in 60 minutes, so I went ahead and turned the oven on from there. It shrunk only a little, and really is flawless. I know you've heard it before, but THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!!! :D

• 5 months later...
Sweetfudge Community Regular

This really is my favorite bread recipe! I made a batch of it on Wed night, half made into stuffing, and the other half into rolls. Both turned out fantastic! Best part of my thanksgiving feast! I just threw a double batch into the oven to have sandwiches and french toast for this week. I love it!

I subbed in soy milk and agave nectar :) So good!

• 5 months later...
garzaglass Newbie

has anybody made this in a bread maker? I have a zojirushi x20 and was wondering if I could use the regular white bread setting for this or should I customize it? also does anybody substitute other flours for garfava flour? thats the only one I cant find.

:D You all absolutely have to try this bread. I cannot speak highly enough about its texture, taste, and ease of making it. It has that soft texture that is so familiar. Not crumbly at all!

We served it to our guests over Christmas and we all loved it. It's better fresh than after a couple of days but you don't have to toast it, you don't have to freeze it. It's simply delicious.

So thank you Laurie for this wonderful recipe. I really hope more people will try it and love it as much as we do!

Open Original Shared Link

I added my review to glutenfreegirl's.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 6 months later...
trixiesirisheyes Newbie

I can't wait to try this bread...I really, really miss bread. My favorite snack in the whole world was a loaf of sourdough or French bread and some butter...I've been making bread since I was 10 years old - that's 41 years. Now, no bread. My sister recommended some Glutino Flax seed bread, and it was so foul. I spit it into the trash and dumped my plate. It was like chewing on a spoonful of seeds (and I love whole grain bread!). That is not bread. I had tried Udi's whole grain bread (pretty yummy), but now my health food store says it's out of stock and they can't get it in. I need bread. I need toast. I need breakfast. I need a PB&J sandwich. I need to make some bread.

I am so excited to read about this!!!

finlayson Explorer

I can't wait to try this - but I do not have any garfave or sorghum flour. Does anyone know if I can substitute soy flour for this?

purple Community Regular
I can't wait to try this - but I do not have any garfave or sorghum flour. Does anyone know if I can substitute soy flour for this?

Go here: Open Original Shared Link

read through the reviews, there was at least one that used PART soy flour.

Wolicki Enthusiast

I FOUND THIS RECIP ON A WHILE BACK, AND FINALLY MADE IT ON sUNDAY. I THOUGHT IT WAS PRETTY TASTELESS :( I THINK I'VE BEEN SPOILED BY UDI'S :D

• 8 months later...
kannne Explorer

Do I need to heat the water/milk?

missy'smom Collaborator

No matter what recipe I use, I usually let the yeast hang out in the warm liquid for 10 min. to get a good start. The liquid should be no more than 110 degrees. Usually just lightly warm to the touch is good.

halfrunner Apprentice

bump

BlueTaelon Rookie

I've made this bread twice now, the 1st time I messed up and forgot to add the vinegar and didn't notice I subbed tapioca for the corn starch. The 2nd time I got it right and started baking it before it reached the edge of the pan. Both times it rose ridiculously high and spectacularly collapsed when I pulled it out of the oven:( I've read the whole thread and for the life of me I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong:( The only thing I didn't do was add the flax since I didn't have any, does it make that much of a difference?

halfrunner Apprentice

I've made this bread twice now, the 1st time I messed up and forgot to add the vinegar and didn't notice I subbed tapioca for the corn starch. The 2nd time I got it right and started baking it before it reached the edge of the pan. Both times it rose ridiculously high and spectacularly collapsed when I pulled it out of the oven:( I've read the whole thread and for the life of me I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong:( The only thing I didn't do was add the flax since I didn't have any, does it make that much of a difference?

It might make that much of a difference. Flax is often used as a "binding" agent in recipes.

Do I need to heat the water/milk?

No. If I use water, I just run it tepid. If I use milk, I just take it straight out of the fridge!

I've never forgot the vinegar, but once I read it wrong and added the vinegar in TBS instead of tsp! Thought it would ruin, but turned out fine. I actually sub the flax with another gluten-free flour bc my kids don't care for the taste of it. I've never had it fail. I can tell you I get varying heights off the bread each time I make it, but the flavor is consistant. This is what I do:

Boil water in a shallow oven-safe skillet (not cast iron!!)

Preheat oven to the lowest temp-mine is 170

Stick pan of water on the lowest rack of the oven (will steam bread)

Follow directions for ingredients

Once in mixer, mix on highest speed for 5 min

Turn off oven

Fill bread pan(s) as directed

Put pans into middle rack of oven for 80 minutes.

--if bread has started to slide a bit over the sides of the pan, I just scoop all that dough back onto the middle of the loaf

Turn oven to temp suggested

I bake mine for 45 minutes

I test mine by giving the top of the loaf a thump, if it sounds hollow and the top is nice and crusty, I call it done!

Cool on a rack for ~10 minutes

Remove from pans (so bottoms don't get soggy)

Cool on racks completely--unless you can't stand it and you MUST have a slice with some homemade jam, but that's just me :D

BlueTaelon Rookie

ok, picked up some flax seed today to grind. Does it matter which type? Brown or gold?

sa1937 Community Regular

Boil water in a shallow oven-safe skillet (not cast iron!!)

Preheat oven to the lowest temp-mine is 170

Stick pan of water on the lowest rack of the oven (will steam bread)

Cool on racks completely--unless you can't stand it and you MUST have a slice with some homemade jam, but that's just me biggrin.gif

I have kind of a dumb question...do you take the pan of hot water out of the oven when you bake the bread or just leave it in?

I have a very hard time trying to cool bread completely before I cut off a slice. tongue.gif

halfrunner Apprentice

ok, picked up some flax seed today to grind. Does it matter which type? Brown or gold?

Nope. :D

lorka150 Collaborator

Hello everyone! Glad to see this thread is still kicking. This is my bread recipe, and to answer the question about the flax, it's a must for this specific recipe.

If anyone ever has troubleshooting, feel free to shoot me an email (send me a PM first). I don't come to the boards too often as I'm pretty busy but will help anyone via email no problem! My all bread book will be out in 2011; we're just going through the editing process right now.

Speaking of which... If you have requests, let me know. I can still add a few in there! :)

AlysounRI Contributor

I'm assuming the vinegar is white vinegar.

I would assume it's cider vinegar :)

That tends to be what is used as a leavener in gluten-free bread recipes :)

BlueTaelon Rookie

Hello everyone! Glad to see this thread is still kicking. This is my bread recipe, and to answer the question about the flax, it's a must for this specific recipe.

If anyone ever has troubleshooting, feel free to shoot me an email (send me a PM first). I don't come to the boards too often as I'm pretty busy but will help anyone via email no problem! My all bread book will be out in 2011; we're just going through the editing process right now.

Speaking of which... If you have requests, let me know. I can still add a few in there! :)

So I discovered! After adding flax it came out much better but I think I need to reduce the yeast by 1/2tsp since I'm still getting the uneven funky rising thing going on but its like 3-4 inches instead of the 6-8 it was doing without the flax.

For the book you have right now, have you considered selling digital copies? The price of shipping makes the book pretty expensive and is a major drawback, at least for me. I'm spoiled by Amazons free shipping:)

I have kind of a dumb question...do you take the pan of hot water out of the oven when you bake the bread or just leave it in?

I have a very hard time trying to cool bread completely before I cut off a slice. tongue.gif

i leave it in thru the rise and the bake!

I would assume it's cider vinegar :)

That tends to be what is used as a leavener in gluten-free bread recipes :)

i use white or cider--whichever i grab first ;)

sa1937 Community Regular

i leave it in thru the rise and the bake!

Thanks, Rachelle! I will try the pan of hot water...am I to assume it'll make a "crustier" bread?

Archived