This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The Most Delicious Home-made Gluten Free Bread I've Ever Tasted...

mamatide

zakismom Newbie

Just to let you know my sister just called me to rename this bread. She calls it "Remember Bread"!

It's the best!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
kbabe1968 Enthusiast

Okay, I have ALL the ingredients.

When I'm finished my free sample of Kinnickkinick Whole Grain bread, I'm going to make this!

Would I be able to split it into 2 1 lb loaves - or does it only make 1 1 lb loaf?

Thanks

cchhrriiss Newbie
:o Holy Cow! This is wonderful bread. THANK YOU!!!! I was diagnosed in 1985. Life with bread has never been this good. My husband and I just finished our first slices....now we're trying to remember what sandwiches are. Hmmmm....what does one put in a sandwich anyway? Bye the way, we made our bread in the new Cuisinart Convection breadmaker with the gluten-free cycle. The crust was amazing (we chose medium crust. For the gluten-free flour we used the Bette Hagman formula for gluten-free Flour Mix. We won't get a chance to worry about storage yet. Thanks again Laurie (Lorka).

Sandra in Toronto

Sandra, Could you please tell me the exact recipe that you used for your bread maker? I made mine it was pretty good, but a little heavy. Also, I don't have a gluten free setting. I used white bread setting, and it took 2:40 hours. Did you put in wet first, and then dry? Or did you premix? Any suggestions would be great thanks, Chris

AndreaB Contributor
Okay, I have ALL the ingredients.

When I'm finished my free sample of Kinnickkinick Whole Grain bread, I'm going to make this!

Would I be able to split it into 2 1 lb loaves - or does it only make 1 1 lb loaf?

Thanks

I makes 1 loaf so I would say 1 lb. It fits in a 9 x 5 or 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 pan. I think someone has used an 11 x 4 also.

simplicity66 Explorer

This really does sound amazing.....after making several bookends and wasting ingrediants on a really bad tasting bread this is a releif the question still is making this in a bread machine???....i really enjoy the conveinance working 12hr shifts...i have a really good recipe for gluten-free flour mix and a ( feather light flour mix havent gotten far enough in my reading to find a recipe to use it)..

gluten-free Flour Mix

white or brown rice flour 6 cups

Potato starch 2 cups

Tapioca Flour 1 cup

I have doubled and tripled both recipes for conveincance

Feather Light Flour Mix

White or brown rice flour 3 cups

Tapioca Flour 3 cups

Cornstarch 3 cups

Potato Flour 3 Tlbsp

The gluten-free flour mix can be used to convert old recipes by substituting gluten-free mix for all purpose flour

lorka150 Collaborator

i am really ecstatic that you are all enjoying my bread.

:)

2Boys4Me Enthusiast
I makes 1 loaf so I would say 1 lb. It fits in a 9 x 5 or 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 pan. I think someone has used an 11 x 4 also.

That was me with the 11 x 4. I figured for small 7 year old hands, the 9 x 5 bread was too "wide" and we'd be making 1/2 sandwiches all the time. This way, we get a nice sized loaf, not too wide and it lasts him a couple of weeks unless he's having toast everyday as well. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mom to Many Newbie
It doesn't turn out with a rounded top but none of my homemade breads have. They still taste good though.

I learned a trick for nicer bread tops. If you are not afraid of a little cooking spray.... First spread the top with a knife, then we cut 3 diagonal slits to help with even expansion. Then I spray the tops with cooking spray so that the loaves do not dry out during rising. I have found that the top is a bit nicer this way.

Mom to 7 really great Kids

Cam's Mom Contributor

Hi!

Larry Mac - we count carbs by reading the labels of all the ingredients we're using (in our case just the carbs obviously) then figuring out the right ratio for each then adding them all together and dividing by the number of slices or rolls the batch makes. Obviously not a very exact science but since my daughter is a diabetic and we have to count carbs to know how much insulin to give her - this actually works. I think we're pretty close because her blood sugar has been fine after eating this bread - and she loves it!

On another note - I was thinking of starting a new thread with fun variations or recipes with Lorka's bread. Seems many peoply have adapted the recipe creatively. For example, our most recent was to remove the garfava flour and sub with almond flour this made for an extraordinarily delicious sweet smelling (although slightly chewy) loaf! Our other ingredients for the 1-1/4 cups of gluten-free were 1/2C. brown rice, 1/2C. Sorghum, 1/4 C. Tapioca.

Some favorite byproducts have been:

Bread crumbs

Croutons

French Toast

Egg in a whole (you know like a fried egg fried into a whole in the bread)

Fondue

Pizza Toast

As well as all the usuals: PB&J, Turkey Club, Fluff'n Nutters, Grilled Cheese, etc.

Anyone else have exceptionally good variations to the original recipe and or fun by products? Do share!

Barb

waywardsister Newbie
Anyone else have exceptionally good variations to the original recipe and or fun by products? Do share!

Barb

I subbed almond and coconut flour for the garfava and some of the starches. Came out with a nice flavour but a little heavy, and didn't rise that well though it could have been the yeast I used. You subbed almond flour in, how did you find your rise?

Would be easy to make cinnamon raisin bread with this recipe...mmmm!

Larry Mac - I'm happy to figure nutrient counts for you, if you like :) That goes for anyone.

chocolatelover Contributor

Has anyone tried soy milk in this recipe? Can't do dairy, but I think I would prefer it with a liquid other than water...

Thanks!

lorka150 Collaborator
Has anyone tried soy milk in this recipe? Can't do dairy, but I think I would prefer it with a liquid other than water...

Thanks!

the milk in the recipe is dairy-free milk. my first test runs with the bread were with soymilk, but i have made it with almond and coconut milks, too.

Laurie

Great--can't WAIT to try it!

hathor Contributor

Any way to make this bread yeast-free?

Ok, Laurie, I have to jump on the bandwagon here--YUM-O--as Rachel Ray would say! I did have the opposite experience as everyone else--made it in my bread machine and it's very short! Flavor, texture, color, everything else was perfect, it just didn't rise quite as much as some say theirs did. On the other hand, neither did it fall...

I used soy milk and mixed the wet ingredients and then remembered the milk should be warm. I stuck the whole bowl in the microwave for a minute on 50% power just to take the chill off.

Thank you, thank you!!

CL

lorka150 Collaborator
:) yay! i am so happy. really, you guys don't even know... ecstatic! this is inspiring me to live again.
kbabe1968 Enthusiast

Oh yeah....it was GREAT!!!! I LOVED IT!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for letting me taste bread again!

WOW. I was skeptical....I always am. I LOVED it. My kids were begging to try it. THEY LOVED IT. OH It was wonderful!!!!

I used Sorghum, brown rice & white rice for the flours then all the starches...oh...it was wonderful. THANK YOU.

Did I mention it tasted good???

LOL :D

sarah ruth Newbie

Seriously well done with the bread recipe lorka150! Thank you :D I actually found out about it on a faraway forum for parents in Victoria, BC - and we loved it! I am inspired to bake and create more delicious treats :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
Momelf Newbie
This sounds delicous.. do you think it will work in the bread machiene sorry I asked this alreday I wasnt gonna try if its an oven only deal? I just love my machine

Skinnyminny, I'm looking to buy a bread machine. What kind do you have?

skinnyminny Enthusiast
Skinnyminny, I'm looking to buy a bread machine. What kind do you have?

I have the Cusinart with the gluten free setting and I love it this recipe is great on here but I use a different one that is quite similar but it makes a taller loaf.. if you have any questions let me know!

kolka Explorer

Skinnyminny, could you please share your recipe? Does it hold together for a sandwhich? I loved Lorka's bread, I liked Bette Hagman's yeast free bread, but they both crumbled. Is it because I do it by hand? Would it hold together if done by machine? I love the flavor and texture of these breads, but I really want a sandwich. I'm still new to gluten-free, so real bread is a very recent memory for me. I just want to know if what I have now is as good as it gets.

glutenfreeinMadisonHeights Newbie
i've got this bread rising in the oven also----can't wait to try it!!

Hi Katy,

Is this bread better than the mix from Breads from Anna? I am very happy with quality of Anna's bread, but I am always open to trying something that may be better.

Sharon

AndreaB Contributor

We haven't had a problem with sandwiches crumbling with this recipe.

I make 3 loaves at a time with a mixer with the following ingredients.

2 3/4 c rice flour

1 c sorghum

I've been using tapioca as I'm out of potato starch but plan on going back to that when I run out of tapioca.

The other changes I've made are (again for the 3 loaves)

6 eggs (instead of 9)

I also use water, not milk

5 Tb sugar (instead of 6)

2 tsp salt (instead of 1 Tb)

I've omitted the vinegar.

Does anyone know what the vinegar does?

GRUMP 1 Contributor

I believe the vinegar is to give you a longer shelf life. Well your bread any way, lol

AndreaB Contributor
I believe the vinegar is to give you a longer shelf life. Well your bread any way, lol

:lol::lol:

Archived