Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Danosu9

Just Got Blood Test Back, Need Help Determining What It Means

Hello, first off thank you to anyone who reads this. A little background, Celiac disease runs in my family. My father and uncle both have it. So I decided to get tested for a variety of reasons. I have expienced some symptoms. But since symptoms vary, I wanted to get start here. My doctor told me that my Blood Results were negative. But when I asked to get tested, he was not familiar with the disease. He thought it was a waste of time since I am a 26 year old with good health. I have many allergies but other than that nothing else. So my results were as follows:

IGE Serum --- 417 kU/L (0-114)

IGA Serum --- 196 mg/dl (81-463)

Gliadin ab (IGA) --- 3 U/mL (<11)

Reference Range

<11 U/mL Negative

5-8 U/mL Equivocal

>17 U/mL Positive

Tissue Transglutaminase AB IGA --- <3 U/mL (<5)

Reference Range

<5 U/mL Negative

5-8 U/mL Equivocal

>8 U/mL Positive

My doctor mentioned that my IGA was high with 417, but that could be because of my allergies. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Danosu9

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

The only thing I know is that my son's tTG was positive. Sorry, I can't help w/ the others, but I THINK any elevation in any of them indicates a gluten problem. Good luck.

it looks like you don't have celiac disease----but since your father has it, i would suggest you continue to be tested periodically for the rest of your life.

Christine

15 year old twins with celiac, diagnosed dec. 2005

11 year old daughter with celiac diagnosed dec 2005

17 year old son with celiac gene

The blood tests are highly unreliable. Just because you didn't get a positive result still doesn't mean that you don't have celiac disease. Why don't you try the diet to see if it makes a difference? If you feel it does, you can always still get tested by Enterolab, as their tests (which are far more sensitive and reliable than blood tests) are still accurate up to a year of being gluten-free.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------