This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Products Have You Pitched -after Gluten Free?

Lisa

Lisa Mentor

I have been (as always, as best) for almost a year and a half and I am still learning.

After an obvious gluten experience, I re-traced my steps. I knew that it had to be one of three things and I still am not sure. One being cornbread made by and older friend, who claimed it was "just cornbread", some do contain flour; second a shift from what I was drinking although, distilled; three Burt's Bee's Strawberry Conditioner (which contains wheat proteins - in the garbage as we speak)!

When you do begin to feel better, often, you get slack, at least I do. My symptoms often remind me, that I just can't do it.

What product, that surprised you, contained gluten? I think this will help others, so please post. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Kaycee Collaborator

The thing that surprised me with having gluten in it was the shampoo and conditioner I was using. That went pretty quickly, and now I use the same brand of shampo, but desinged for sensitive people.

Another surprise was the frozen french fries I was cooking had wheat in them.

Another thing that annoys me is not being able to eat licorice allsorts (I deliberately ate a bag of those once) and also the fact that the choice in alcohol is quite limiting. I know, alcohol is bad and coeliac is saving me from myself.

Cathy

Mtndog Collaborator

MommaGoose- I'm sorry- that stinks! My biggest surprise was Tropicana Lemonade. I don't know if thye've changed their ingredients but at one point, after getting very sick, I read that they would only guarantee that products from 2 of their plants would not contain gluten! Even if they haven't changed their processing, I wouldn't buy their products again because LEMONADE SHOULDN"T HAVE GLUTEN IT!

Nancym Enthusiast

My walmart vitamins had gluten in them!

mtdawber Apprentice

Since I'm still learning you many of you probably know these ones but they got me....

The ham I ate on Christmas Eve (glazed in more than brown sugar!)

My vitamins

licorise

BBQ sauce (most of them)

smoked salmon spread (damn MSG)

Lisa Mentor
Since I'm still learning you many of you probably know these ones but they got me....

The ham I ate on Christmas Eve (glazed in more than brown sugar!)

My vitamins

licorise

BBQ sauce (most of them)

smoked salmon spread (damn MSG)

FYI: MSG had no gluten, but some react...it is not gluten related.

Viola 1 Rookie

My biggest surprise was some Lemon Tea (herbal) that my mother brought in the house. I never even thought to look at the ingredients ... like you know, there's lemon and tea leaves in the bag. Right?

So, after I've been sick for three days and we are going crazy trying to figure out what it was, my Dad was standing at the counter watching TV, and when a commercial came on he was bored, so he started reading the tea box. Would you believe it had toasted wheat germ in it!!! :angry: I can't remember the brand, but read those tea boxes!

Good Thread!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Kaycee Collaborator

Viola,

Isn't that odd, and silly to say the least, to put wheat germ in lemon tea!

But that I think answers one nagging question I had about a drink of green tea flavoured with lime! The ingredients said green tea and lime flavour, so I didn't even get the chance to make an informed choice. The fact that my mother had bought the tea and did not like it, I tried it because I like green. But it was a bad move, I was in agony not long later and paying for a silly mistake.

How often have I said to anybody and everybody if it says flavour without stating from what, I will not touch it. Needless to say, no more flavoured teas or coffees for me!

Cathy

Jestgar Rising Star

My sugar. It seems that at least at some point I had dipped a flour contaminated cup into it.

BTW, I hope you are using "throw out" symbolically. My neighbor has greatly benefited from all of my kitchen cleanings.

Lisa Mentor

Neutrogena Mascara, newly bought and currently being used by my daughter.

Yes, our food pantry has benefited tremendously.

Kaycee Collaborator
BTW, I hope you are using "throw out" symbolically. My neighbor has greatly benefited from all of my kitchen cleanings.

Yes and my friends have benefitted greatly from my throw outs. But not any more, I am getting shrewder.

Cathy

Felidae Enthusiast

Soy sauce, almost every jar of spices (no-name brand), Tropicana juice, Quaker rice cakes, shampoo, conditioner, body wash, hand soap, and body lotion. I'm sure there were even more items that I gave away.

prinsessa Contributor

I had no idea that one brand of herring I bought had gluten in it until I ate quite a few pieces. It seems like gluten is in everything!

mtdawber Apprentice
FYI: MSG had no gluten, but some react...it is not gluten related.

Ok see, I'm still learning... what is in the MSG that people react to?

zansu Rookie

I had an entirely different read on the title of the thread... I was thinking of the gluten-free things I bought that I (cheap as I am) threw out because they were GROSS! :P

I went gluten-free as an experiment, it was spring, I decided to try the gluten-free diet for Lent. What made it REALLY amusing was the article in the paper right about the same time on a Jewish woman preparing for passover by cleaning her home of all the things with leavening (many of which are also gluten!) and I felt a little Jewish that day :lol: My food pantry rejoiced in the bounty!!

Cold cuts were probably the biggest shocker for me.

Nantzie Collaborator

I've given away more shampoo, conditioner and haircare products. I'm really sensitive and I've had to get rid of so much of that stuff, most of which doesn't have gluten on the label.

Then the ones that I don't react to my hair doesn't like and I either end up with flat and stringy hair or dry and crispy. I finally just got fed up and started getting the products from gfsoap.com . It's just one less thing that I have to worry about. And I really love their products. I just wanted to find something that I could get at Target or whereever. Then I realized how many food products I order online. What's one more order?

Other than that, I threw or gave away spices, sugar, canisters, baking soda/powder, cookie cutters, etc. during this last Christmas. Pre-gluten-free when I baked I had flour all over my hands and everything else. So I started over completely. I didn't trust a thing. :rolleyes:

Nancy

Kaycee Collaborator
I either end up with flat and stringy hair or dry and crispy.

Nancy

Nancy that sounds a bit like chicken, not hair!

I find with shampoos, even if they don't have gluten in them I can still end up with spots on my scalp, so I have gone for one that has no scent and it really is nice. It take a bit of getting used to the no smell.

Glad you have something you like now.

Mtdawber,

about MSG, I avoid it because I have read quite a bit of bad press about it and as far as I am concerned, I don't need it, and it is just another additive that I would like to avoid, and since I already avoid most of them it is not a problem. But it seems when I do have a bit of MSG in food now and then, I get a bit of a cough, so for me I will keep avoiding it.

Cathy

mtdawber Apprentice
Mtdawber,

about MSG, I avoid it because I have read quite a bit of bad press about it and as far as I am concerned, I don't need it, and it is just another additive that I would like to avoid, and since I already avoid most of them it is not a problem. But it seems when I do have a bit of MSG in food now and then, I get a bit of a cough, so for me I will keep avoiding it.

Cathy

Hi Cathy, thanks! I have found when I eat things with MSG - chinese food, my smoked salmon spread - I get the same symptoms as when I get glutened. I am probably losing it with all the reading I've been doing but I thought I saw somewhere that MSG was off the list... oh well, either way I'm not planning on adding it back in. I feel better without it.

On the shampoo, I bought Burt's Bees shampoo and conditioner and my hair is ok - not flat, string, dry or crispy... :P

Michi8 Contributor

I'm still very new to the gluten-free thing...and the rest of my family isn't gluten-free, so I haven't pitched anything yet.

I did want to point out though, that it may be worth it to let the manufacturer know if you react to a product. Some guarantee their products, and will give you your money back. You can also try returning products to the store...including food products. My hair salon, for example, doesn't hesitate to refund my money if I react to a product I buy there. The stuff is so expensive...I'd hate to have to throw it out after one try!

Michelle

marciab Enthusiast

My family is making fun of me for completely deglutening my house. But, I just got rid of all my plastic containers, measuring spoons, cups, sugar container, pots and pans ...

The "sad" part is that I gave them to my daughter forgetting that she is probably a celiac ... :unsure:

Marcia

NoGluGirl Contributor
Hi Cathy, thanks! I have found when I eat things with MSG - chinese food, my smoked salmon spread - I get the same symptoms as when I get glutened. I am probably losing it with all the reading I've been doing but I thought I saw somewhere that MSG was off the list... oh well, either way I'm not planning on adding it back in. I feel better without it.

On the shampoo, I bought Burt's Bees shampoo and conditioner and my hair is ok - not flat, string, dry or crispy... :P

Dear mtdawber,

My mother cannot tolerate MSG, and neither can my brother or my grandfather. People that have high blood pressure (all of these relatives) it particularly bothers. There are times it actually makes you feel like you are having a heart attack! I get gas from it, but nothing more, luckily. Some say MSG is derived from beets, but from what I understand it comes from seaweed. Reactions to it have been given the incorrect moniker "Chinese Restaurant Syndrome." In all truth, it was the Japanese who discovered that adding seaweed to food enhances the flavor.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Juliebove Rising Star

Mentos. Label now says "glucose syrup (wheat)". Several shampoos, conditioners, bath products and lotions.

darlindeb25 Collaborator

Coffee may have been the biggest surprise to me--WHY put wheat in coffee???????? The real corker is, it was hazelnut coffee and neither of us like hazelnut. We stopped at a Hess Station and bought regular coffee, someone had made the hazelnut in the wrong pot!!!! I had 2 shallows and knew it didn't taste right, the 2 shallows were enough to give me severe stomach cramps in just 10 minutes. I have read many teas that have gluten, Celestial Seasonings list the ingredients and will tell you if the product is gluten free.

For shampoo, I also make sure there is no oats in mine, oats make me itch. I use Pantene and everytime I use something new, I go back to Pantene. I have waist lengh, very thick hair and most shampoos can't handle it. I tried VO5 and found the soybean to bother me, besides the fact that the conditioner doesn't work for my hair. Pantene costs more, yet my beautiful hair is worth it :D .

Juliebove Rising Star

Rice Dream. Now this one is confusing. The drink says it is not gluten free, although it says it in very fine print and not near the ingredients list so I didn't see it until my daughter had been drinking the stuff for some time. They use barley to remove the hulls from the rice, making it not be gluten free. Oddly, there is no such disclaimer on the frozen Rice Dream and I've seen it listed on gluten free lists, but I don't believe it. I don't know that my daughter has had a problem with it, but it's hard to tell. Hers is an allergy and her reactions can be things like nosebleeds.

NoGluGirl Contributor
Coffee may have been the biggest surprise to me--WHY put wheat in coffee???????? The real corker is, it was hazelnut coffee and neither of us like hazelnut. We stopped at a Hess Station and bought regular coffee, someone had made the hazelnut in the wrong pot!!!! I had 2 shallows and knew it didn't taste right, the 2 shallows were enough to give me severe stomach cramps in just 10 minutes. I have read many teas that have gluten, Celestial Seasonings list the ingredients and will tell you if the product is gluten free.

For shampoo, I also make sure there is no oats in mine, oats make me itch. I use Pantene and everytime I use something new, I go back to Pantene. I have waist lengh, very thick hair and most shampoos can't handle it. I tried VO5 and found the soybean to bother me, besides the fact that the conditioner doesn't work for my hair. Pantene costs more, yet my beautiful hair is worth it :D .

Dear Deb,

I have hair similar to yours. I really need a g.f. leave-in detangler. Any recommendations?

My hair is very thick and course. I would really appreciate it! I cannot use a shampoo detangler all the time because my hair can take about three days to dry completely after being washed! (I told you it is thick!)

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Archived