• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

tarnalberry

Preliminary Results From My Elimination Diet

Rate this topic

Hey Terri: Well, I guess I'm an exception to the theory that menopausal difficulties are caused by dairy/soy/grains producing too much estrogen. :blink: Menopause was a nonevent for me. :lol: But then I didn't have excess natural estrogen producing/retaining body fat at that time. I wasn't underweight, but at the low end of normal. :unsure:

However, I read just about everything on the 'dogterj' website. It certainly explained how our poor doggy got cancer of the spleen which spread throughout her body after her spleen was removed. I never did like the notion of feeding dogs low protein, low fat, high grain (mostly cornmeal) dog chow. If I ever have another dog, I will NEVER feed it commercial dogfood. Those are all worthless, even the ones with vitamins added to the basic grain formula. <_<

I won't go so far as give up all grains, though I'm not a big starch consumer anyway, but I'm curious about Dr. Mercola's book. What's the title and his full name?

BURDEE

Terri -

Yes, I definitely remember Tysons Corner! I used to work at the mall for a store called "Camalier & Buckley" before they went out of business. It is definitely a small world, that's for sure!!

I'm glad you liked the Smart Beat. I haven't looked it up on the internet yet to see where I can get it, but I'll have to do that. I only eat the tuna that is packed in water, and the other day when I looked, the major brands all had soy listed in () after the vegetable broth ingredient. My guess is that it has always had soy in it and that the manufacturers are just getting better about listing things since they will have to do it in the future. I'm really guessing/hoping that little amount won't bother me, but I will keep looking for soy-free.

I'm thinking you're right about it being ok to cheat occasionally with dairy...I will be the same way, I'm sure. I did ok with my pizza test, though, so that is encouraging. Interesting about the excess estrogen theory...I think that has happened to me.

Take care,

LISA in NC

you can find some tuna that's really just packed in water - tuna, water, salt (or no salt) - and avoid the broth entirely. I've found it at whole foods and wild oats.

Tiffany: I had given up on tuna, since most 'water-pack' actually includes soybean oil and I can't tolerate soy. What brand is that truly water-packed tuna? Is it the Whole Foods brand or another?

BURDEE

I don't remember the brands - there were a couple. I have not called the company, but there is no mention of ANYTHING but tuna, water, and salt (I like the salted version). You might just check the ingredients the next time you head out there. (I _think_ the one I get from Wild Oats is Nature's Value.)

i finally went to my doctor apt. yesterday and she told me to stay off dairy for 1 more month until my follow up visit. but she said i need to take a calcium suppliment. can any of you who arent on dairy suggest a good one? i'm nervous about taking supplements that may contain gluten.

she told me to take tums....but i know they do contain gluten ;)

I take Caltrate which are gluten-free. Also, if you have a Costco their Kirkland brand are gluten-free and say so right on the bottle. But with them you have to take them 3 times a day or more. With Caltrate I take one twice a day. It says gluten-free on the bottle too.

Burdee,

Dr. Mercola's book is called Total Health cookbook and program. It has lots of recipes that of course, have no grains at all and just whole foods. He also has tests to find if you're a protein type, carbo type or mixed and you can adjust the recipes to suit your type. Very interesting.

As to the dogfood issue, my father was a veterinarian and used to cook for our dogs. When they would send him samples of canned dog food he'd cook it up and taste it before letting our dogs have any. As for me, I use the expensive dry and mix it with Mighty Dog or Pedigree twice a day. For my dog, that is, not for me! Ha ha :P

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Top Posters +

• Upcoming Events

• May 29, 2019 04:00 PM Until 08:00 AM

Celiac Emotional Healing Support Group

Again you are invited to join Johnny Patout, LCSW for Baton Rouge's first emotional healing support group meeting to assist those living with celiac disease manage the emotional challenges so many of us face. Most often the emotional disturbances include depression, disinterest in normal activities, insomnia, grief, mood changes, anxiety, inability to concentrate, extreme concern about managing a gluten-free lifestyle and other emotional and behavioral challenges.

The professionals at Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center created the emotional healing support group to give us a safe place to begin to process our emotions and support each other as we heal emotionally while managing celiac disease and the resulting autoimmune disorders.

The emotional healing support group meets every Thursday, 6:00-7:00pm, at the Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center of Baton Rouge. Jamestown Avenue Counseling Center is located at 4637 Jamestown Avenue, Baton Rouge, Suite B-1. Suite B-1 is upstairs.

The support group is free and open everyone managing celiac disease. For more information: emotionalhealingforceliacs@hotmail.com
    • June 01, 2019 Until June 02, 2019
      Nourished Festival is a family-friendly event with 10 locations across the US. Attendees will be able to sample food, health and beauty products, meet with companies, learn about the most current food lifestyles, receive coupons and attend educational sessions with industry experts. 
      Nourished Festival, managed by The Nourished Group and presented by Enjoy Life Foods, is the largest gluten-free, allergy-friendly and specialty diet event in the US, with 10 locations including.
      ABOUT THE NOURISHED FESTIVALS
      Managed by The Nourished Group, formerly The Gluten Free Media Group, The Nourished Festivals are the largest and fastest growing special diet consumer events in the United States. Started in 2007, the events have expanded from one to ten cities throughout the country. The festivals cater to anyone looking to lead a healthier lifestyle or those who follow a specialty diet due to autoimmune conditions, food sensitivities, allergies or intolerances. Offerings including Paleo, Keto, Plant-Based, Gluten-Free, Allergen-Friendly and Nut-Free products. The events provide the opportunity for attendees to sample and purchase new products, receive coupons, meet with brand ambassadors and attend educational classes with industry experts. For more information, visit http://www.nourishedfestival.com 

• July 07, 2019 Until August 03, 2019
      For more information, visit www.kefss.com or call (407) 255-6550. info@kefss.com 

KEF USA Summer Camps Announces the New KEF Gluten-Free Camp in Orlando, Florida for Youths with Celiac Disease.

[Orlando, FL February 6, 2019]-KEF USA is excited to announce that we will offer a new 100% gluten-free camp program to give kids and teens with Celiac Disease a safe, exciting and healthy summer. KEF USA programs offer fun and unique experiences that can only be found in Orlando, Florida. Campers explore the theme parks and local attractions, make new friends, discover new interests and create memories that last a lifetime.

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    GlibReaper

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• Forum Discussions

Thank you for all of the suggestions and information.  I will see a lot of the symptoms that I have that I didn't mention listed caused by lack of certain enzymes.  I have blood tests every 3 months. That is when I noticed my cholesterol, etc. not in check.  I eat too many carbohydrates because it causes less diarrhea than a lot of vegetables.  But in talking to 3 of my sisters they are already on medication for the problem.   One has Celiacs the other has Sjorgrens which I also have.  I'm conce
    For the fog and memory, it can be many things, the brain requires certain ratios and amounts of fat to function, it also requires b-vitamins the full spectrum among other amino acids, minerals and vitamins, nerve functions require magnesium, potassium and other things to fire right.  Celiac can hamper the ability to break down and absorb nutrients, digestive issues and enzymes can further complicate this, and trying to eat the right ratios of foods. I supplement with Liquid Health Mega B-compl
    I am interested in your comments about losing your memory.  I have Celiacs and IBS, etc.   Very difficult to eat a healthy diet.  One goes against the other.  The past year I have noticed a marked difference in my memory and was very concerned about it because my mother had Alzheimer's.  I had a brain scan but that is not the problem at least it doesn't show up on the MRI.  All of my blood enzymes are way out of line for my size and I'm thinking it's the diet and inability to do extensive exerci
  • Blog Entries