This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

3 People Close To Me Are All Dying Of Cancer!

Electra

Electra Enthusiast

I've just recently found out that my daughter and I have Celiac Disease and since going Glutan Free I'm staring to feel a whole lot better, but I find out that my Gram is dying of Leukemia, my best friends Mom is dying of cervical cancer, and my friends husband (who has 4 kids one who is only 4yr's old) is dying of Lymph Node cancer!! How in the world do you get through all of this without eating UG. I'm definitely a stress eater, and I am finding it hard because there are not a lot of nibbling foods I like that are Glutan Free. How in the world am I going to make it through 3 funerals this year and still get healthy :-(!! I guess it's a good thing I found out I had Celiac before I found out everyone had only a short time to live. This year is going to stink royally!! Oh and my brother in law's father is going to pass soon too. Man this is not going to be good!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

I wish I could cure them for you!!!!!

Since I'm not capable of that, I am simply sending you (and them)hugs, prayers, and positive energy. Where there is life, there is hope.

(And I eat Fritos and dark chocolate chips when I'm stressed.) ;)

Electra Enthusiast

I'm so picky I don't like Fritos or dark chocoate :-( LOL!!

CarlaB Enthusiast

Sorry it's going to be a tough year ...

Do you like Ruffles? Popcorn?

marciab Enthusiast

WOW .. I feel for you. This is going to be hard...

I went through something similar. My mother and my daughter's father were diagnosed in 2001 and told they had only 6 months to live within a week of each other. My heart sank ... He is still alive, but my mother died. But, that is a whole other story .......

All I can say is that they need you to be strong for them right now. And you will not be strong if you are glutenned out.

Keep a good stock of your gluten free goodies / foods close by. I just recently tried Pamela's spicey ginger cookies with peanut butter on them ... YUM !!!! Somebody stop me ....

Chocolate has been scientifically proven to be good for you ... ;) Marcia

dlp252 Apprentice
I've just recently found out that my daughter and I have Celiac Disease and since going Glutan Free I'm staring to feel a whole lot better, but I find out that my Gram is dying of Leukemia, my best friends Mom is dying of cervical cancer, and my friends husband (who has 4 kids one who is only 4yr's old) is dying of Lymph Node cancer!! How in the world do you get through all of this without eating UG. I'm definitely a stress eater, and I am finding it hard because there are not a lot of nibbling foods I like that are Glutan Free. How in the world am I going to make it through 3 funerals this year and still get healthy :-(!! I guess it's a good thing I found out I had Celiac before I found out everyone had only a short time to live. This year is going to stink royally!! Oh and my brother in law's father is going to pass soon too. Man this is not going to be good!!

I'm so sorry, you're right that DOES suck!

Snacky things are hard for me as well...don't really have a lot that I have on hand at any one time because I end up eating the whole thing. I snack mostly on nuts and fruit with nut butters.

tarnalberry Community Regular

I'm very sorry. :( It is going to be a very rough year.

Please do take care of yourself. When you have the energy, brainstorm (either at home, on here, or at the store) things you would like to snack on, and have that list available for all the times you don't have the energy to think about it. (Conservation of thinking! :P)

*hugs*

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular
I'm so picky I don't like Fritos or dark chocoate :-( LOL!!

What gluteny things do you like? Maybe we can come up with good substitutes for you...

jamrock Rookie
I'm very sorry. :( It is going to be a very rough year.

Please do take care of yourself. When you have the energy, brainstorm (either at home, on here, or at the store) things you would like to snack on, and have that list available for all the times you don't have the energy to think about it. (Conservation of thinking! :P)

*hugs*

I am really sorry to hear but I do know as mentioned before once there is life there is hope and God is still in the healing business. In 2001 my huband was diagnosed with Lymphoma(lymp node cancer) there were legions everywhere ( just had a baby about 2 months old) things were looking pretty bad, major surgery Chemo the works its been over five years now he is well in total remission got a miracle from God and in addition I had another baby she is 2 years old. The doctors play their role but it is God who decides on our exit from this life. Pray for believe that they can be healed and commit it to God. Dont worry about the funeral for them because tomorrow is promised to no one neither you are me..

I pray the lord will give you courage.

Jamrock

Electra Enthusiast

Thanks so much for the prayers and positive thoughts everyone. I'm hoping that by some miracle at least one of them will beat their cancer!!

As for snack foods I love caramel pop corn-I think I can have that too lol!!

My only snack food right now is POPCORN

I think I can have Rolos candy too YUM!!

I do like Peanuts but only the honey roasted ones, and I don't think I can have those.

I'm severely disappointed because the only way I like most meats is if it's cooked in Worshtireshire

sauce and tha's definitely out!!

I'm not fond of Peanut Butter unless it's in Reeses PB Cups lol!!

I only like Milk Chocolate and I don't like it plain but love it in most candy bars.

I can't have Butterfinger anymore :-(!!

I LOVE ice-cream but haven't checked any ice-cream labels yet

The hardest thing is that I have 4 children and am always on the go, so we used to go to the drive throughs a lot and now I have to put in an extra effort to make sure I pack fruit everywhere I go, and it's embarrassing when I get out a Granny Smith Apple and my husband orders French Fries or Pizza from the shop at whatever event we are attending. My entire family eats out and eats in front of me all the time and I just want to scream because I can't EVER have any of it again :-(!! My entire household is picky so I constantly have to fix chicken nuggest, fish sticks, waffles, pancakes, grilled cheese sandwiches, french toast and all kinds of other things that I can't have and it's so hard. On New Years Eve we ordered out Pizza and I ate an Apple while my kids and all their friends ate Pizza and Doritos :-(!! I did have some cheese puffs chips because they didn't appear to have Gluten in them, but the next day I didn't feel to well, so I think there was something in them that I shouldn't have had :-(!! Oh well I'm doing my best right now and that's all I can do ;-)!!

Guhlia Rising Star

Are you in the US? If so, Lea & Perrins worchestershire sauce is gluten free. I use it all the time. Reese's Peanut butter cups are also gluten free as are butterfingers. So, enjoy!

As for your household not being supportive.... Who does the cooking? You or them? I would just make gluten free stuff for meals and don't give in. If they want gluten, they can cook it themselves. I know it sounds harsh, but they need to be supportive of you, they're you're family. Try making gluten free chicken nuggets in bulk with Kinnikinnick's crispy chicken coating, then freeze them. You can do the same with fish too to make fish sticks. If they see you're making an effort to make this easier on them, hopefully they will reciprocate the effort.

If you like sinfully sweet and delicious treats, try some of the LesserEvil popcorns. They're fabulous. They have all different flavors to choose from, I really like the SINnamon and the BBQ flavors. You can them at www.shopbydiet.com.

Electra Enthusiast

Actually I gave up the cooking a long time ago. I do get my 5 yr. old and 2 yr. old hot dogs and grilled cheese and chicken nuggets quite often, but I also do not allow them to eat them unless they have a fruit or veggie first. My hubby gets mad at me a lot because I won't cook him supper, but all he eats is potatoes (most of the time) and I stopped cooking those years ago because I had to make 2 or 3 different meals for all my other kids. I normally don't eat the chicken nuggets and things, but it used to be nice when we all ate Pizza together once a week.

All of my kids are being tested this month and I'm thinking that a least one more of my kids has Celiac, so if the tests come back positive then our entire household is going to have to change!!

I'll have to pick up some of that Lea and Perrins because I love my meat cooked in Worchestershire sauce.

I looked on the back of butterfinger candybars and I could have sworn I saw wheat on there? If not then I am in HEAVEN hehe!!

Eventually I'll try that crispy coating but right now I have absolutely no time to try and cook UG!! I did make a shephards pie today, but as usual it didn't come out all that well.

Thank God I can still have Nachos or I'd probably starve hehe!! I'm not sure if the Sour Cream or Salsa are Glutan Free but they sure do taste good LOL!!

Guhlia Rising Star

Pace salsa and Breakstone (Kraft) sour cream are both gluten free. I buy everything Kraft because they will list their ingredients clearly. It makes life easier. Also, planters honey roasted peanuts appear gluten free. I think they're made by Kraft, if so, then they should be safe if the ingredients appear safe. Kraft will clearly list wheat, barley, rye, or oats on the label.

Butterfingers are definitely gluten free. At least they used to be. I haven't had one in a while, but they're made by Nestle Foods and Nestle will clearly list WBRO (gluten).

AndreaB Contributor

I'm so sorry Angie. :(

I agree with jamrock's post. We take for granted we will be here the next day but we truly don't know if we will. It's hard to sit by when you know someone has cancer. My father does as well, but he's the only one so I can't say I know what you are going through.

For me I had to take a break from the board as I couldn't be there for everyone else for awhile. That may be different for you though. It sounds like you really need support on the diet. It also saddens me that your family doesn't appear to be that supportive. Hopefully you'll be able to get the family to come together for at least dinner so you can all enjoy the same meal together.

jkmunchkin Rising Star

Ughh, I am so sorry for you. I wish there was something I could say or do to help. I wish i could snap my fingers and they'd be cured.

Maybe make sure you always have some carrot sticks, candy bars... anything gluten free around that appeals to you so that when you find you need a snack you have something and won't be tempted to make a rash decision and get something that will make you sick.

Mtndog Collaborator

Oh Angie- that's brutal. I had a year like that. My mom, my uncle, my friend's brother and dad all in a row (like within 6 months of each other- all cancer). It was brutal!

I'm so sorry.

Lay's potato chips

Reese's pb Cups

Butterfingers

Nutella (so so so so so good)

carrots and hummus

Anything by Enjoy Life (their snickerdoodle cookies rock!)

apples (Honeycrisp or Fuji- prefereably smeared with nutella)

Cheese

all my favs!

Archived