This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Subway Restaurant

Daisy Duke

Daisy Duke Explorer

I had lunch delivered at work today from Subway. I went out on there website and they have several items that are gluten free. I ordered the tuna fish salad with some extra veggies, and I don't seem to be having any problems. I want to try their grilled chicken breast and baby spinach salad. I am so excited about finding a new place that I can eat a couple things, I'm just very excited.

Daisy Duke

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

angel-jd1 Community Regular
I had lunch delivered at work today from Subway. I went out on there website and they have several items that are gluten free. I ordered the tuna fish salad with some extra veggies, and I don't seem to be having any problems. I want to try their grilled chicken breast and baby spinach salad. I am so excited about finding a new place that I can eat a couple things, I'm just very excited.

Daisy Duke

For me, that place would be too high on the list of "possibility of cross contamination" to even think about eating there.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

i canary Rookie

I'm with Jessica. All it takes is one clumsy employee to drop a bun in the tuna salad to mess me up.

RiceAddict Rookie

There are only 2 fast food chains in my small town, McDonalds and Subway. Only a couple days after I was diagnosed I decided to try a salad at Subway. Not knowing then what I know now about cross-contamination I thought I was fine. In reality, they mixed the salad and chopped the veggies on the same surface used to prepare subs. The yalso used the same knife. I don't recall if the server changed plastic gloves or not, I'm doubting it. Now that I know more about what I am doing I don't go near there. Maybe tunafish or other locations have more gluten-free safe preparation, but I have to agree with others that it probably isn't the best choice for lunch.

However, I am glad that you seem to have handled the meal without problems.

elonwy Enthusiast

One of the things that was hardest to let go of was Subway salads. I loved them so much. Way too many bread crumbs everywhere though. I went in with new eyes and gave a good look at the preparation area, and after watching them make a couple sandwiches and watching how stuff just got flung everywhere I walked out, and haven't been back in a subway since.

Elonwy

happygirl Collaborator

After being glutened by them every time, I gave them up! Too high of a risk for cross contamination for me, apparently.

brendygirl Community Regular

I just ate there yesterday while my bro and I were sightseeing in chicago.

I had a club salad and I substituted spinach instead of plain lettuce.

The preparer used clean gloves, put everything in the salad bowl so it did not touch any surface, and she sliced the deli meat on the plastic top for my salad.

I think it's AWESOME to actually get to WATCH the person prepare my food and enjoy a quick, cheap, healthy meal that I don't have to prepare myself or worry about.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cmom Contributor

Our local Subway allowed me to read the ingredients in all their soups...none were gluten free. <_<

zachsmom Enthusiast

see the other day I was wondering if it would be possible to eat there gluten free... its possible but ... like everyone has said... If you get someone who could care less about your dietary problems and your a sick person later..... It probably is possible but because every one if the meats is wrapped in paper... in side the containers... but when some one doesnt change gloves... your dead. I had someone not change gloves in quiznos and gave the person their money and then made a sandwhich... I called the health department.

But subway is almost as famous for the sandwhich bread now... than the sandwhich .. it seems as though eating their is possible but at your own risk.... chris

Juliebove Rising Star

My daughter and I both have food allergies. She has a lot of them. I would not let her eat there. Just too much cross contamination even with a salad, plus I think their salads are nasty. I did let her get a bag of chips. The one and only kind they had that she was not allergic to. That and a drink were the only safe things.

Ksmith Contributor

I eat there all the time and don't have problems, but everyone should make there own decisions on this kind of stuff.

Shake&Bake Newbie

I worked at Subway and I wouldnt suggest it. All of the cutting and preparing are done on the same table, and with the same tools. They get wiped down but the cutting boards only get washed once a day (at the end of the night) and it would be so easy to cross contaminate something.

LL04 Newbie
I just ate there yesterday while my bro and I were sightseeing in chicago.

I had a club salad and I substituted spinach instead of plain lettuce.

The preparer used clean gloves, put everything in the salad bowl so it did not touch any surface, and she sliced the deli meat on the plastic top for my salad.

I think it's AWESOME to actually get to WATCH the person prepare my food and enjoy a quick, cheap, healthy meal that I don't have to prepare myself or worry about.

Just a thought, do you realize that even though the preparer used clean gloves for you, that she had reached inside that same spinach container to get spinach that she had touched who knows how many times previously that day with gloves that had just made a sandwich? The same goes for any of the veggies they have out as well as the meat...all previously reached into with gloves that had just made a sandwich....Just a thought....

• 2 months later...
devenshah Newbie
One of the things that was hardest to let go of was Subway salads. I loved them so much. Way too many bread crumbs everywhere though. I went in with new eyes and gave a good look at the preparation area, and after watching them make a couple sandwiches and watching how stuff just got flung everywhere I walked out, and haven't been back in a subway since.

Elonwy

I can imagine the frustration. But you don't have to put with contamination. Most customers are not that allergic and it is a fast food industry where speed matters most. If you are allergic, ask the person to change the golves, tell them to use plastic on top of cutting board, if not sure of the veggies, tell them to pull fresh and most will go along with your request. There are always an exception, those employees who think they have to stand their ground. I have demanded sometimes and I was happy to see them comply. And at times, I have simply left. You can not generalise the opinion based on one experience.

d

Sesheta Rookie

I was diagnosed over a year ago and of the places I have thought of trying Subway is at the bottom of my list. Way too much of a chance of cross contamination, Wendy's however, is probably of the best places you could go to eat out, plus they have good salads. =^.^=

Archived