Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

• You've found your Celiac Tribe! Join our like-minded, private community and share your story, get encouragement and connect with others.

💬

• Sign In

Poll: Official Diagnosis Or ?

Do you have an official diagnosis?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. How were you diagnosed?

• I was diagnosed by my doctor (M.D) via positive blood test, positive biopsy, or both.
    • I was diagnosed in some other way - self, alternative-med, inconclusive MD testing results, Enterolab, etc. (anything other than choice #1)

Here! Here!!

Though, I'm finding that without an "official" diagnosis, some people (other doctors, hospital staff, etc) don't take ya seriously. When are they going to WAKE UP????

I hear what you are saying. To tell you the truth though even with my "official" diagnosis most people don't take my condition seriously. As far as doctors are concerned most don't understand Celiac to begin with so they could not help you if they tried. I make sure that I have a medical alert tag (bracelet or necklace) with me at all times when away from home. I think anyone could get or wear one. The main responsibility for our safety is unfortunately ourselves. I think the awareness is getting there but the support (resturants, hospitals etc.) is still lagging. The more of us (official or unofficial) who continue to request gluten free as part of our lifestyle the sooner this will happen. A good first step is to get the rest of the approximately 95% of us on board any way we can.

Tom

Here! Here!!

Though, I'm finding that without an "official" diagnosis, some people (other doctors, hospital staff, etc) don't take ya seriously. When are they going to WAKE UP????

I don't tell new doctors that I haven't been tested. I tell them I have Celiac and no one really asks questions after that. Don't doctors that are knowledgeable about celiac say that positive dietary response is often enough "proof" that someone has Celiac/gluten intolerance? IMO, it's enough for me.

ELIZABETH

gluten-free (04.17.2006)

corn-free (03.27.2007)

xanthan gum-free

My son was diagnosed via staggeringly positive bloodtests followed by blindingly obvious biopsy; my husband was diagnosed via equivocal ttg, amazing dietary response, and no biopsy. (So I just didn't know which button to choose!)

joanna

Mom/wife to celiacs dx 12/03 and 12/04

Success is never final and failure never fatal. It's courage that counts -George Tilton

Archived