Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pinktulip

Jekyll Island Georgia

My dad and I are traveling to Jekyll Island next week, I'm going for convention, he's going just to go. The convention is providing several meals for us and I indicated gluten free, but this is my first time traveling since going gluten free and am worried. Also we're on an island in a hotel and I'm wondering about the resturant options for the rest of the meals.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Can you contact the hotel directly about the meal situation? I would try to do that first, and plan to bring some snacks that could replace a meal if you need to. Also, you may need to contact whoever is in charge of the food at the conference as soon as you get there to make sure they will be providing you with gluten free meals, that way you will have a better idea whether they know what gluten free means. Don't wait until meal time and then try to get them to bring you something gluten free while they are busy serving everyone else.

Here is a link to the other restaurants on the island: http://www.jekyllisland.com/dining/index.asp

You could probably contact them ahead of time and discuss if you would be able to eat there safely. Mostly it is steak & seafood places, which means you will probably find quite a few items on the menu that would be gluten free, but you need to make sure there won't be much contamination from the kitchen.

The whole concept of "Island" scares me! :blink: It makes me feel trapped, like I can't leave and go find gluten-free food. I want to go to Hawaii next year and that even makes me nervous. I mean, I can't take my kitchen with me to Hawaii, and what if we can't fine gluten-free meals! I've done some research on other people's experiences and know that realistically we will be able to eat plenty, but subconsciously I cringe at the whole idea of being that far away from home. So far we have only traveled in California and Nevada (Lake Tahoe/Carson City area), close enough to get home in 8 hours or less!

~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

One of the dinners is buffet, seafood. (yuck) After living in New Orleans and eating thier seafood everything is bland in comparison. But as long as I stick to baked or broiled I should be safe. Lunch they said as long as I tell our server everything will be prepared gluten free and seperate.

It's the other meals that worry me becuase this will be conference room meals (done by hotel catering_ while the others I'm on my own.