This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Corn Chips

Carriefaith

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I am trying to find a safe corn chip brand that isn't contaminated. Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

key Contributor

I eat Green Mountain Gringo chips and they say gluten free. THey are healthy and taste good to me. I get them at the health food store.

MOnica

Felidae Enthusiast

I eat Que Pasa tortilla chips and I haven't had any problems. Here is their allergy statement from their website:

"14. Do your chips and corn tortillas contain gluten, wheat, soy, or nut products?

No, our chips and corn tortillas do not contain gluten, wheat, soy, or nuts as ingredients. Our corn tortilla chip facility does not manufacture products containing these allergens. For all of the products processed in our facility we have an allergen management program in place. This is inteded to ensure our chip and tortilla products are not exposed to any undeclared allergens. Please contact our Quality Assurance Department if you have specific allergen concerns about any of our products - Links.

Please note that while we only process whole grain corn in our plant, it may be possible for some of these other items to occur in a batch of corn or be present to some degree in other ingredients or foodstuffs stored in the plant. For example, packaged wheat flour tortillas are stored at our plant, even though we do not manufacture them at this facility."

hez Enthusiast

We eat Mission chips, they say gluten-free on the package.

Hez

mommyhugz Newbie

An online friend told me about Fritos corn chips, and I just bought a bag this morning. Ingredients: Whole corn, corn oil, and salt. No preservatives.

We're brand new to the Gluten-free Casein-free diet, and today is actually our DS's first day being completely Gluten-free Casein-free. I'm anxious to find a variety of foods that are safe for him to eat... WITHOUT breaking the bank! :blink:

mmaccartney Explorer

We eat Fritos all the time and haven't had any problems.

StrongerToday Enthusiast

I eat Tostido's or Trader Joes.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jkmunchkin Rising Star

I eat Tostitos or Fritos.

psawyer Proficient

I eat Fritos (the plain ones) with no trouble. I can't comment on the BBQ flavor ones.

Corkdarrr Enthusiast

Tostito's - never had a problem

emcmaster Collaborator

IMO, Mission tortilla chips are the absolute best packaged tortilla chips. We eat those or baked tostitos when I'm trying to be "good" :)

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

Tostitos (made by Frito-Lay). I have seen Fritos only at Wal-mart. I'm not sure if you have a Wal-mart iin your town.

I have never seen Mission brand in Canada.

I haven't seen Que Pasa either, but Felidae's from Canada, I believe near Edmonton, and you're a bit north of Edmonton, so it's possible you can get them at Save-On Foods. We don't have a Save-On here.

tarnalberry Community Regular

I also generally have Que Pasa.

lorka150 Collaborator

I buy corn tortillas and make my own in the oven. It's really quick and easy!

Felidae Enthusiast
I haven't seen Que Pasa either, but Felidae's from Canada, I believe near Edmonton, and you're a bit north of Edmonton, so it's possible you can get them at Save-On Foods. We don't have a Save-On here.

You have a good memory. LOL

Que Pasa is available at Save-On and Planet Organic.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Thanks everyone! Seems like most people can tolerate tostitos, I may be brave and try them. Que Pasa chips are good, but they are contaminated with dairy. I'm planning on challenging my milk allergy in the future, so maybe I'll be able to eat them!

jukie Rookie

I like the "Natural" Tostitos as they are soy free (unlike regular Tostitos) and don't seem as greasy as some corn chips.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I don't think that I have ever had the natural Tostitos. Maybe I will try those...

Piesmom Apprentice

Our family loves both Mission and Tostitos. I like Mission because by me they are priced better than Tostitos and just taste different. We LOVE authentic Mexican food (however we just don't go out to eat anymore...too scary for my DH)...and mission is just closer to authentic than Tostitos.

happygirl Collaborator

hey carrie :)

mission, tositos, and fritos are my main choices.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I wonder if I can buy Mission brand in Canada... Anyone know?

Felidae Enthusiast
I wonder if I can buy Mission brand in Canada... Anyone know?

I've never seen Mission brand in Alberta.

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

Me neither.

MSU Newbie

WARNING!

Natural Tostito Chips are not gluten free! Tostito's official gluten free list is at this websight

Open Original Shared Link

Although many of their products are listed, they are cross-contaminated.

"*The above products do not contain gluten; however, they are produced on the same line as our products that do contain gluten. Although the lines are washed between batches, a slight residue may remain on the lines. Individuals who are extremely sensitive may be affected."

These chips made me sick all of one summer before I identified them as a problem.

Carriefaith Enthusiast
I'm guessing they aren't sold in Canada. Ah well. Maybe I'll get someone I know to get some for me.

WARNING!

Natural Tostito Chips are not gluten free! There official gluten free list is at this websight

Open Original Shared Link

Although many of their products are listed, they are cross-contaminated.

"*The above products do not contain gluten; however, they are produced on the same line as our products that do contain gluten. Although the lines are washed between batches, a slight residue may remain on the lines. Individuals who are extremely sensitive may be affected."

These chips made me sick all of one summer before I identified them as a problem.

The warning does bother me, but some people don't seem to get a reaction. I have reacted to lays regualar chips and regular stacks before, but I believe it was a dairy reaction (I could be wrong though).

Archived