Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sweetie101282

Yowza! gluten-free Right On Coffeemate's Label!

I haven't been on the site too much recently so this may be old news, but I recently bought one of the Holiday coffee creamers that Coffeemate put out (I had the pumpkin spice). Right on the label in a section called "good to know" it says Gluten Free! What a stride in the right direction! I will certainly continue shopping with a company this willing to recognize our needs (and our buying power!). Drink up, coffee lovers :-)

Amy

Diagnosed by biopsy and Gluten-Free since March 2003. I have the noisiest stomach known to man. Seriously, how do I turn off this crazy thing??? Sounds like I've got an alien in there...

Go Green! Go White! Go State!

For the ultimate donuts, visit www.celiacspecialties.com. I wouldn't lie to you, I swear!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Was it the liquid or the powder? I have a hot chocolate I made with the powder before going gluten free, haven't had any b/c I'd been told ot avoid non-dairy creamers.

:) I'm assuming it was the liquid.

Yup, it was the liquid - sold in the fridge section.. I'm not sure if they'll have that flavor around anymore though since the holidays are over :-(

Diagnosed by biopsy and Gluten-Free since March 2003. I have the noisiest stomach known to man. Seriously, how do I turn off this crazy thing??? Sounds like I've got an alien in there...

For the ultimate donuts, visit www.celiacspecialties.com. I wouldn't lie to you, I swear!

I think that this is a great stride for companies to recognize their products as gluten free.

Many are doing this because we continue to call and e-mail companies for information on their products.

Continue on.

Thank you for posting this. :)

Lisa

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Yup I was all excited when I saw Gluten Free writtin on the back of my coffeemate french vanilla flavored creamer mmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!

~~Angie~~

DX'd With Narcolepsy In 1995

Dx'ed With Celiac On 12-18-06

Positive Biopsy On 2-1-07

DX'd With Pernicious Anemia 4-24-07

Daughter Has DH, so I suspect she also has Celiac!!

"If Alcoholism was Celiac Disease they would make us drink ourselves into kidney failure before they would admit we had the disease"

I noticed this too and became so excited! I can only hope that in 10 years our lives will be even easier with more people understanding what we go through.

Hez

I noticed this too and became so excited! I can only hope that in 10 years our lives will be even easier with more people understanding what we go through.

Hez

I had noticed this as well. I was wondering (along these same lines), the Nestle hot cocoa mix also says "gluten free" on the package. It lists "modified food starch" as an ingredient. Is this a contradiction, or is modified food starch sometimes okay?

Mother to Whit (celiac and food allergies diagosed 11/04, gluten-free ever since), Addie (gluten intolerant - gluten-free since 1/06) and wife to Tim (celiac and gluten-free since 1/06)

Gluten free/Peanut/Nut free house!

I had noticed this as well. I was wondering (along these same lines), the Nestle hot cocoa mix also says "gluten free" on the package. It lists "modified food starch" as an ingredient. Is this a contradiction, or is modified food starch sometimes okay?

It's not necessary to worry about modified food starch in most cases, especially products made in the US. Food starch can mean many things but in the US it typically is referring to cornstarch, sometimes tapioca. If this product flat out says "gluten free" I wouldn't worry about it unless I saw a contraction like "wheat starch" listed. The company is taking a big enough risk by listing that on their label to not be certain of that fact. Hope this helps!

Modified food starch is often ok. Amy is right, it is usually cornstarch. However, it can be made from wheat. Now, due to changes in food labeling, companies are required to list it if it is from wheat, because wheat is an 8 main allergen. It is not required to list corn, potato, tapioca, etc.

Modified food starch does NOT equal gluten/wheat, but it could be a source. Now with the labeling law, you will know if its wheat derived or not.

This is very helpful to know. I think I have been erring on the side of caution, but this is good news. The kids love creamed corn (from a can) and it lists modified food starch. So, it should say "wheat" as the source of the food starch, if it contains it - right?

Thank you - I will add this news to my shopping list guidelines.

Mother to Whit (celiac and food allergies diagosed 11/04, gluten-free ever since), Addie (gluten intolerant - gluten-free since 1/06) and wife to Tim (celiac and gluten-free since 1/06)

Gluten free/Peanut/Nut free house!