Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tasha2004

Protein Drink For Celiacs?

I'm going pretty nuts with this. I think my 81 yr old Mom was accidentally glutened.

Now she is having some tummy problems, though colonoscopy, endoscopy and abdomen CT scan showed her to be in great health.

She's afraid to eat almost everything (her doctor told her to keep eating, and said most likely her only problem is lactose.)

So she isnt getting nutrients, and she is getting weak. Throw in a snowstorm which has kept her housebound and my usually very very pepply Mom just isnt having any pep.

She wants to know if there is a lactose free type of product like Ensure?

She also cant decide where to get some nutritional counseling or help.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Type I Diabetic with IgA positive only, Mom has celiac disease.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Guest cassidy

I don't know about Ensure, you might check their website, but I thought it was ok.

I know Boost is fine - I drink it everyday. The only flavor you can't have is Chocolate Malt. I like the high protein because it does have a decent amount of protein. If you belong to Sam's Club you can buy it there by the case.

Thank you. My Mom already had Boost at home, so I told her to get it out and try it.

She knew not to buy chocolate.

thanks so much.

Guest cassidy

I have found that I can't have more than one Boost in a day. It isn't gluten but it gives me D. I'm not sure if it is too many vitamins in that form or what exactly, but the same thing happens when I drink carnation instant breakfast more than once a day which also has tons of vitamins. I don't know if this only happens to me, or if other people with sensitive systems need to watch out for it, but I wouldn't recommend drinking more than one a day.

Boost and Ensure are gluten free, except for the Chocolate Malt.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

But I dont think Ensure claims to be lactose free does it????????