This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pasta/pizza Sauce

Tippy

Tippy Apprentice

I've been checking my labels on spaghetti sauces and such and i cant find anything to let me know if theres gluten in it or not. I was told that i should be aware of the kinds i get but im not sure why. Is there a reason why i cant use shelf pasta sauces?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Electra Enthusiast

I've been wondering the same thing. I've also been looking at salsa labels and can't seem to find anything that looks suspicious in them. I'm sure someone will be able to tell us why ;-)!!

Felidae Enthusiast

You need to watch out for certain words such as "spices" and "natural flavours." Also, cross contamination may be a problem depending on the manufacturer.

I'm sure there's more, but I can't think of anything else right now.

Michi8 Contributor

Any tips on which brands are actually safe? I heard Prego is, but what about Ragu? We prefer the taste of Ragu over Prego... Also, what about Classico? I see nothing on the label (Sun-Dried Tomato sauce) that indicates a source of gluten (there are no natural or artificial flavours listed either.)

Michelle

Felidae Enthusiast
Any tips on which brands are actually safe? I heard Prego is, but what about Ragu? We prefer the taste of Ragu over Prego... Also, what about Classico? I see nothing on the label (Sun-Dried Tomato sauce) that indicates a source of gluten (there are no natural or artificial flavours listed either.)

Michelle

If there is nothing that indicates hidden gluten in the ingredient listing, I have tried the sauce before. This may be risky. I'm not sure about the brands you listed. I started making my own sauces out of canned tomatoes, fresh veggies and spices. But, I have a lot of time on my hands since I haven't been able to find a job in my field.

I checked Classico's website and they state that all of their red and white sauces are gluten-free.

Lisa Mentor

I try to use Paul Newman's products because profits are donated.

I believe all of his pastas and salsas are gluten free.

angel-jd1 Community Regular

All of the Classico sauces are gluten-free (Even the white sauces) Mmmmm

I use Contadina for my Pizza Sauce

Wal-Mart Great Value Brand pizza sauce in the jar is also gluten-free (stated on the label)

Enjoy!!

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Michi8 Contributor
If there is nothing that indicates hidden gluten in the ingredient listing, I have tried the sauce before. This may be risky. I'm not sure about the brands you listed. I started making my own sauces out of canned tomatoes, fresh veggies and spices. But, I have a lot of time on my hands since I haven't been able to find a job in my field.

I checked Classico's website and they state that all of their red and white sauces are gluten-free.

Thanks for the Classico info. :) I'll check into Ragu too.

I'm just starting back onto a gluten-free diet now. I had tried before Xmas, but abandoned it due to stress of a funeral of an immediate family member and then Xmas. It will be much easier to follow the diet now, when I don't have to worry so much about meals prepared by others. Now I need to get serious again about avoiding gluten. Got a good cookbook for preparing gluten-free meals for Xmas too. :)

Michelle

zansu Rookie

most pregos are safe (not the meat flavored, I believe) I seem to recall Ragu IS NOT. I like the muir glen organic cabernet marinara.

Salsas: I like the muir glen, also Pace is safe and readily available.

marciab Enthusiast

I like the organic Muir Glen and organic Bertolli. I haven't called about them, but so far so good.

They don't have soy and Newman's does. marcia

Michi8 Contributor
most pregos are safe (not the meat flavored, I believe) I seem to recall Ragu IS NOT. I like the muir glen organic cabernet marinara.

Salsas: I like the muir glen, also Pace is safe and readily available.

I went onto the Ragu website, and found no FAQ that addresses gluten, so I tried to ask a question through their email form. Apparently I'm not allowed to ask any questions if I don't live in the US. I can't find info easily on Ragu through Unilever Canada (they don't list Ragu on their website.)

I'll have to spend more time digging into this later...I'm off to make homemade ice cream with the kids. :)

Michelle

Guhlia Rising Star

If you live in the US, just read the ingredients on the ragu jar... Ragu is made by Unilever and they will clearly label gluten as wheat, barley, rye, or oats. Classico sauces are gluten free and delicious. For pizza sauce I use Wal-mart's GV brand. It's very good and it says gluten free right on the jar.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I generally buy Wegmans Pasta Sauces, all labeled gluten-free and I believe some are even lactose free and all are labed with the Allergen keys, they have quite a few different flavors and I believe all are gluten free. I really enjoy the Smooth Marinara and the Tomato and Basil....I just checked my closet and the Tomato and Basil and Roasted Garlic are both Lactose free.

I actually stockpile the pasta sauce since I use it frequently....and the Harrisburg Wegmans did not open yet, so I usually travel to the store and I stock up on my favorite things. I go to town when they are 99cents a jar....they are big jars!

I also have a jar of salsa from Wegmans and it says gluten free.

Since I saw the gluten free labeling I tend to only buy that brand, so I actually like it more than Ragu and Prego.

psawyer Proficient

Unilever's policy of clearly labelling gluten ingredients applies in Canada as well as in the US. Just read the label on the product, looking for wheat, barley, rye or oats. If none of those words appear, then the product is safe.

Michi8 Contributor
Unilever's policy of clearly labelling gluten ingredients applies in Canada as well as in the US. Just read the label on the product, looking for wheat, barley, rye or oats. If none of those words appear, then the product is safe.

Good to know. Thanks! :)

Michelle

new to LI Newbie

i make my own very smple but great tasting souce. one part tomato paste, two parts water. a LOT of garlic, diced onion, oregano, basil, salt, pepper, or anyother spices you want.

Felidae Enthusiast
I'm just starting back onto a gluten-free diet now. I had tried before Xmas, but abandoned it due to stress of a funeral of an immediate family member and then Xmas. It will be much easier to follow the diet now, when I don't have to worry so much about meals prepared by others. Now I need to get serious again about avoiding gluten. Got a good cookbook for preparing gluten-free meals for Xmas too. :)

Good luck! It does get easier with time.

• 2 years later...
Leonesse Rookie

Unilever at Ragu sent me the following response on 3/10/2009:

Thanks for writing!

Common ingredients that may contain gluten are rye, wheat, oats and

barley, and noodles and pasta prepared with any of the previously

mentioned grains. HVP, TVP, flavorings, are likely to contribute gluten

as well, however, if they contain any gluten, the source would always be

listed in the ingredient statements.

SINCE FORMULATIONS CHANGE FROM TIME TO TIME, we do not have a printed

list of products that identifies those products that contain specific

allergens or gluten. The best advice we can give you is to check the

ingredient list on the label. Ingredients allergens as defined by FDA:

peanuts, tree nuts, soy, fish, seafood, wheat, eggs, and milk or dairy,

as well as any ingredient that may contain gluten are always listed on

the label.

Therefore, WE SUGGEST READING ALL INGREDIENT LABELS CAREFULLY.

• 7 years later...
Pam Coon Newbie
On 1/8/2007 at 11:42 AM, Electra said:

I've been wondering the same thing. I've also been looking at salsa labels and can't seem to find anything that looks suspicious in them. I'm sure someone will be able to tell us why ;-)!!

Some of the Pace salsas are gluten free, and it states it on the bottle! Six weeks diagnosed with Celiac, I am getting use to standing in front of the item I want to purchase on regular isles and googling what product is gluten free! That's how I discovered Pace (yum yum). There are gluten free Pizza Sauces in the Healthy eating section of the grocery stores. I need to google that on my next store visit!

Archived