This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help ! Animals And There Food ?

Rebecca47

Rebecca47 Contributor

Hi everyone I really not sure where to put this thread, sorry.

I just realized that the rabbit I have been caring for could be a no no. I just read the ingredients and they have barley, oats, oatmeal, wheat middlings what ever that is?. I think that it is affecting me, Panda(the rabbit) lives inside and my ex as of now thinks that it probably ok. :o

I say that I feed him clean, clean his cage out and I am touching everthing in his cage. I say it could be making me sick. :angry:

He says that he not sure it would make me sick. :angry:

What do you all think ? Need some input. Thank you :rolleyes:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Touching things containing gluten can not hurt you. Putting you fingers in or around your mouth after you have played-fed-cleaned the rabbit can.

Gluten must be ingested. Some also react to flour dust in the air.

Rebecca47 Contributor
Touching things containing gluten can not hurt you. Putting you fingers in or around your mouth after you have played-fed-cleaned the rabbit can.

Gluten must be ingested. Some also react to flour dust in the air.

Thank you very much. :rolleyes:

Guest cassidy

My cat eats food with gluten in it. I make sure I wash my hands after I touch his food. I usually ask my husband to pour the big bag of food into the plastic container we store it in because that makes a huge cloud of gluteny dust that I don't want to breathe in/get all over me.

If you wash your hands, you should be fine.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I had to get rid of a bird, there is no bird seed that is safe and I kept 'getting myself' and the constant handwashing and cleaning and the needed mask (airborne gluten can be absorbed by the mucous membranes in the nose) were just too much of a pain after a while.

We have also switched our cats and dog to a totally grain free food. They are healthier and I don't have to worry about feeding them or having them lick me and contaminating myself.

Yenni Enthusiast

I have a dog and I give her gluten free dog food. Makes me feel safer. It does have Alfalfa in it though, which could be a problem for me, but I haven't noticed any problems so far. I always make sure to wash my hands and stuff after I have fed her.

I did give her a gluten and legume free food before but her stomach couldn't handle it so we had to look for another. It proved to be hard to find one that is soy free.

kbtoyssni Contributor

I had a guinea pig and never had any problems with her. I was very careful, though. I always washed my hands after I picked her up or touched anything around the cage. I had noticed for several years that my eyes would get itchy when I played with her. I did not test positive for a guinea pig allergy so maybe it was the gluten. I think if you're careful you can make it work, but if you're very sensitive you may have to reconsider having a bunny.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

moonlight Rookie

Hi, my husband has gluten intolerance.. he has been gluten free since july and was doing fine.. few weeks ago we adopted a little cat.. I worry about the same thing, but I am now sure, since we have gotton him my husband's neurological problems appeared again (not much) this could be related with the cat food - I just tell him to wash his hands after giving food, or playing with him....i dont know if there is any gluten-free cat food available... is there any?

elonwy Enthusiast

Here is a good long thread on gluten-free cat food, page two has a list.

Open Original Shared Link

HTH

Elonwy

arc Newbie

We switched our cat and dog to gluten free foods and it made a big difference for me. I think it was mostly the cat. She almost always cleans herself after she eats. I personally think that put gluten on her fur and then she spread it around the house by sleeping on the couch or sitting on my lap. It's about impossible to not get glutened in that case, no matter how many times you wash your hands.

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

I've had the same thought. WE do not have pets...but about a year ago I did the pb/birdseed feeders with my kids. I had hives all the way up my arms and got REALLY REALLY sick from the exposure. This was way before I was gluten free, (only been doing this two weeks) but i'm assuming that had to do with it, somehow.

I do have a severe dust allergy too - so I'm sure that was a possibility.

I will wonder!

Sillyyakdidi Apprentice
I had a guinea pig and never had any problems with her. I was very careful, though. I always washed my hands after I picked her up or touched anything around the cage. I had noticed for several years that my eyes would get itchy when I played with her. I did not test positive for a guinea pig allergy so maybe it was the gluten. I think if you're careful you can make it work, but if you're very sensitive you may have to reconsider having a bunny.

There are def. gluten-free catfoods. out there,, when i find it i will PM you. The LAST thing that was making me sick in my home was the stupid cat's food! When you pour it, dust rises, and i inevitably was swallowing some of it, so it does matter if it is gluten-free if you are handling it!

Cynbd Contributor

I have been wondering about pets lately too. Before I went gluten free I swear I got sick everytime I swept my patio, or cleaned my house -- it was really wierd, I kept thinking maybe I was alergic to cleaning products or mold outside (I live near the beach) (I was certain I was just allergic to cleaning <_<:-)

Now with this new dx I wonder -- I have 4 guinea pigs outside and they use Hay everyday in their cages, and it's a big mess, and I tend to be the one sweeping it up outside. My son cleans their cages, I tend to feed them... etc. Hmmm....

I have a bird inside and clean and care for him (it's a parakeet my husband found flying around his shop, so he brought it home) hmmm ... they flap their wings and make a big airborne mess...

I have a dog --- hmmmm

I have been making my son more responsible for feeding them all so I don't have to touch all that stuff, but the outside patio -- maybe I need to find a new home for my pigs!

This all makes me think about the airborne thing --

What is hay anyway? I know it's a grass, but is it a wheat, barely, rye -- Alfalfa? A comingled, cross-contaminated, conglomeration of bad news for gluten intolerant people? Hmmmm

I wonder...

moonlight Rookie

Thank you Elonwy, I will go with one of those gluten-free cat foods...Our little cat likes my cooking, I guess I am lucky, he wont feel bad when I change the dry food. My husband has been doing fine for a while, but somehow all the "pins and needdles" and "tiredness" came back.

I think I am now able to make all the connection.. I was wondering about what was happening to my husband eventhough he was gluten-free.

• 3 weeks later...
moonlight Rookie

hi all again, we solved the food problem - now our cat is gluten free and seems to be doing fine - but, what about the cat litters? do they contain gluten? I called the company, the lady said, as far as she knew there is no specific information.. :S

Archived