This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Do You Tell The Difference?

hannahsue01

hannahsue01 Enthusiast

How do you tell the difference between having the flu or being glutened. Both my daughter and myself may have been glutened at two different times. Both of us had a chance for cross contamination. I am more convinced that my daughters was from being glutened because she ended up with mouth sores and a couple of itchy blisters on her face. Myself I am unsure as I didn't get either of those symptoms. Niether one of us ran a temp of any kind. Niether one of us would throw up from consuming gluten before going gluten free and have been gluten free for a couple of months now.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

I would think that a presence of a fever would indicate the flu.

But you have to remember, that often after being gluten free for some time, you react totally different to a gluten exposure.

The blisters would certainly indicate a gluten exposure.

I don't know if this was a help and I know that everyone reacts differently. I have been gluten free for almost a year and a half and my gluten reactions vary quite a bit.

Lisa

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I have to agree with the other poster. If you have a virus or an infection of some kind it usually will cause a fever. Glutening symptoms can change after you have been gluten-free for a while. Many of us will be able to identify ways that are obviously only gluten related, like you daughters blisters. For me I also get skin problems and gluten will cause a distinct and short lived but intense depression and irritability. Eventually you will get to know the 'signs' that are specific for you.

Nancym Enthusiast

Do a google search on norovirus or stomach flu and see if the symptoms match. I just had it a few months ago myself, I didn't have a fever but had headache, vomiting, and a general feeling of malaise. I was around someone that had just had it too, and it is frightfully contagious, so I was sure that was it. Plus, my symptoms of gluten aren't that bad.

lovegrov Collaborator

The "stomach flu," which isn't actually influenza, sometimes includes a slight fever but often doesn't. I know some people throw up after ingesting gluten, but I'd say the percentage is very tiny. It is not a common symptom of gluten ingestion.

The "real" flu always includes a fever, body aches, and respiratory symptoms but not vomiting.

richard

GlutenWrangler Contributor

While the symptoms may be similar, it is true that if you had the flu you would most likely have a fever. Reactions to gluten change after going gluten-free. Before going gluten-free, your body is used to taking in a toxin every day. It knows that it will keep coming. When you go gluten-free, your body adapts to a toxin free diet, and vigorously reacts when gluten is re-introduced. This could account for the vomiting. The flu entails: high fever, nausea, diarrhea and vomiting (especially in children) chills, sweating, headache and muscle aches. Generally, when you have the flu, you know it. I hope you feel better.

-Brian

hannahsue01 Enthusiast

Thanks for your replys. Makes sense about the toxin thing. My grandma throws up now when getting glutened. We didn't have a fever, chills, sweating, or muscle aches. Just a headache, knee ache, vomiting, then I got direah a few days later along with itchy bumbs under my chin and my daughter had slept for an entire day a few days after (wich if it was the flu I would have thought she would have slept more while she was vomiting rather than a few days after) and had mouth sores and the same itchy bumbs on her face.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Some of the symptoms are similar between stomach flu and getting glutened. I can tell when I am glutened because I usually get a rash. I also get depressed and irritable.

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

Just to add, I also do not vomit when I am glutened.

I do vomit when I have the stomach flu...

When I am glutened, I usually know it because I have eaten soemthing "questionable", I get a rash (dH), and the stomach cramping is more "pronounced". Not sure how to explain it, but the cramping usually lasts for 3- 12 hours with frequeent trips to the Lou.

Stomach flu is way different. I throw up constantly for a day or two. Then it comes out the other end for a day or two.

It feels much different.

Archived