Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Electra

Local Celiac Support Group's Leader Makes Me Nervous!

I even said to her "Well there are some things that aren't labeled Gluten Free that don't have gluten" and she said "No their aren't" and changed the subject.

oh dear.....them's fighting words.....I would get in LOTS of trouble in this group....... :P Maybe even get kicked out.....

SUSIE

Diagnosed January 2006

"I like nonsense. It wakes up the brain cells." ~Dr. Seuss

Join eNewsletter

oh dear.....them's fighting words.....I would get in LOTS of trouble in this group....... :P Maybe even get kicked out.....

LOL but my problem is that I have a little avoidance personality disorder (that has been caused by my medical condition no doubt) but I have a really hard time speaking my mind when I'm face to face with people. That is one of the things I'm hoping I can change when I'm feeling better :-)!!

~~Angie~~

DX'd With Narcolepsy In 1995

Dx'ed With Celiac On 12-18-06

Positive Biopsy On 2-1-07

DX'd With Pernicious Anemia 4-24-07

Daughter Has DH, so I suspect she also has Celiac!!

"If Alcoholism was Celiac Disease they would make us drink ourselves into kidney failure before they would admit we had the disease"

Join eNewsletter

But you'd have so much fun doing so. :lol:

Join eNewsletter

Oh, me, too! Me, too! I'd be waving a carton of eggs , a red pepper, and a bag of spinach and saying innocently, "Oh, no--these aren't marked gluten-free--THEY MUST HAVE GLUTEN!!!! AAAGGGGHHH!!!!"

This woman obviously has something up her butt.

You could pull the classic husband-ly "Yes, dear. Yes, dear," and then go eat what you think is good.

Join eNewsletter

Wow--Susan, Donna, can you imagine what it would be like if the three of us showed up at this group????

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

common down ladies. I need a web cam so we can be at the meeting together lol!!

~~Angie~~

"If Alcoholism was Celiac Disease they would make us drink ourselves into kidney failure before they would admit we had the disease"

Join eNewsletter

:lol::lol: Too bad we couldn't all go as a group :lol: Wouldn't we create havoc!

Shirley

[save the Earth, It's the only planet with chocolate and wine.

It isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...

It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Gluten free since 1989

West Kootenay.... British Columbia

Join eNewsletter

If I waited for everything up here to say"wheat/gluten-free" I would not be eating and that includes potatoes and rice noodles.

First of all for Canadians you should know Black Diamond Cheeses do contain gluten as I talked to the company. I stick with Kraft because they list everything. As for fruits and vegetables they wax and crap they spray on them has been reported as containing gluten.

As I am paying a fortune for my food as it is I decided to continue with the trend and buy organic for health's sake. They taste better also organic and when I can I buy fresh from the organic growers.

Rusla

Asthma-1969

wheat/ dairy allergies, lactose/casein intolerance-1980

Multiple food, environmental allergies

allergic to all antibiotics except sulpha

Rheumitoid arthritis,Migraine headaches,TMJ- 1975

fibromyalgia-1995

egg allergy-1997

msg allergy,gall bladder surgery-1972

Skin Biopsy positive DH-Dec.1 2005, confirmed celiac disease

gluten-free totally since Nov. 28, 2005

Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism- 2005

Pernicious Anemia 1999 (still anemic on and off.)

Osteoporosis Aug. 2006

Creative people need maids.

Join eNewsletter

B.C. fruit..even the waxed stuff is gluten free. But we have our own fruit trees, so buy very little fruit. Having said that, organic isn't in the budget :( even for what we have to buy.

Thanks Rusla for the information on Black Diamond cheese! :o I didn't know that. I've always bought Kraft anyway, but nice to know if I ever get in a store that doesn't have Kraft handy.

Shirley

[save the Earth, It's the only planet with chocolate and wine.

It isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...

It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Gluten free since 1989

West Kootenay.... British Columbia

Join eNewsletter

LOL but my problem is that I have a little avoidance personality disorder (that has been caused by my medical condition no doubt) but I have a really hard time speaking my mind when I'm face to face with people. That is one of the things I'm hoping I can change when I'm feeling better :-)!!

Angie, I DO think that this will improve the longer you're gluten-free, as it has for me. (of course, I could actually USE a little of that disorder in my own personality :ph34r: .....I have no trouble speaking my mind....but I HAVE noticed the reverse - - I am much calmer and don't need to assert myself as often. :))

But you'd have so much fun doing so. :lol:

yup. ;)

Oh, me, too! Me, too! I'd be waving a carton of eggs , a red pepper, and a bag of spinach and saying innocently, "Oh, no--these aren't marked gluten-free--THEY MUST HAVE GLUTEN!!!! AAAGGGGHHH!!!!"

This woman obviously has something up her butt.

Yes, Alison, wave away with your non-labelled items! :lol: The woman sounds like an eejit, clearly.

Wow--Susan, Donna, can you imagine what it would be like if the three of us showed up at this group????

oh dear.......oh dear......... :lol:

It's just sad that she'll be the "educator" in this group, and people WOULD starve if they ate only foods labelled gluten-free.

Angie, I would say, go and observe, maybe take some printed materials to give her, and when you're healthier and emboldened, a few months down the line, go again.......

It would be fun to go as a group, though....;)

SUSIE

Diagnosed January 2006

"I like nonsense. It wakes up the brain cells." ~Dr. Seuss

Join eNewsletter

Well Shirley, I can't afford organic monetarily speaking but physically I have to sobe it. You are lucky, you have fruit trees and stuff like that. I need to live in Jamaica or the Bahama's with Johnny Depp, they have real fruit trees, unsprayed and they taste like fruit. Not like the crap you find in Safeway.

For all the American's I am so jealous you have Trader Joes.

Rusla

Asthma-1969

wheat/ dairy allergies, lactose/casein intolerance-1980

Multiple food, environmental allergies

allergic to all antibiotics except sulpha

Rheumitoid arthritis,Migraine headaches,TMJ- 1975

fibromyalgia-1995

egg allergy-1997

msg allergy,gall bladder surgery-1972

Skin Biopsy positive DH-Dec.1 2005, confirmed celiac disease

gluten-free totally since Nov. 28, 2005

Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism- 2005

Pernicious Anemia 1999 (still anemic on and off.)

Osteoporosis Aug. 2006

Creative people need maids.

Join eNewsletter

ummm...what's an eejit? :blink:

In Britian referred to as an "idgit" or in technical terms an "I D 10 T" or for the layperson "idiot".

Linda, Mom to Ty (11 years old)

Ty was diagnosed by blood test June 7/05

biopsy Aug 11/05, diagnosis confirmed Aug 18/05

Mom, Dad and big brother Celiac-free.

Join eNewsletter

First of all for Canadians you should know Black Diamond Cheeses do contain gluten as I talked to the company. I stick with Kraft because they list everything. As for fruits and vegetables they wax and crap they spray on them has been reported as containing gluten.

Also, for Canadians. I contacted Parmalat a while back and they said that they will not guarantee any of their products to be gluten free, not even their milk.

Tapioca intolerant

First cousin dx'd with Celiac Disease

Grandmother died of malnutrition b/c everything made her sick... sounds like celiac to me.

Gluten-free since June 2005

Dx with IBS February 2005

Blood tests both negative (or inconclusive?) for celiac (in 2002 and 2004)

Join eNewsletter

"However, it seems obvious that a HUGE percentage of celiacs have other food allergies/issues as well."

Obvious based on what? Remember that folks who frequent celiac forums are not representative of the general celiac population. Most have more physical problems than the average person with celiac and many are more sensitive to gluten than average. The majority who come to the forums early on in the gluten-free diet leave or simply lurk after adapting, meaning only a small percetage are "veterans." And the forums are overwhelmingly female. I don't say that disparingly in any way; it's just a fact.

I don't believe, based on my experience, that a HUGE percentage of people with celiac have other food allergies, but if you know of some studies proving otherwise I'd be glad to read them. I do know some people have dairy problems (and a large number do not), but that often disappears after going gluten-free.

richard

Join eNewsletter

I'm curious if Black Diamond said their cheese does have gluten, or was it just the CYA, "we won't guarantee." I ask because I just looked at their web site and didn't find a cheese with gluten in the ingredients. And the shredded cheeses use cellulose for anti-caking.

richard

Join eNewsletter

"However, it seems obvious that a HUGE percentage of celiacs have other food allergies/issues as well."

Obvious based on what? Remember that folks who frequent celiac forums are not representative of the general celiac population. Most have more physical problems than the average person with celiac and many are more sensitive to gluten than average. The majority who come to the forums early on in the gluten-free diet leave or simply lurk after adapting, meaning only a small percetage are "veterans." And the forums are overwhelmingly female. I don't say that disparingly in any way; it's just a fact.

I don't believe, based on my experience, that a HUGE percentage of people with celiac have other food allergies, but if you know of some studies proving otherwise I'd be glad to read them. I do know some people have dairy problems (and a large number do not), but that often disappears after going gluten-free.

richard

Good heavens, Richard, you think that I am wrong because I am not basing my observations/experience on official studies; yet you insist you are right based on your observations/experience--you're not quoting any studies to back up anything you are saying!

YOU CAN'T HAVE IT BOTH WAYS.

Join eNewsletter

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

:lol: indeed!

Join eNewsletter

Also, for Canadians. I contacted Parmalat a while back and they said that they will not guarantee any of their products to be gluten free, not even their milk.

No matter what they say, their milk is gluten-free. However I wouldn't drink just because of their attitude.

richard

Join eNewsletter

But wheat straw might be the source for the cellulose. Google "cellulose from wheat" and dozens of links pop up. Here is just one: http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/klu/...000001/05270955

Thanks for this, I have been glutened by store brand cheeses. I just didn't feel comfortable saying so without a link to prove it. Thanks

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

This is the kind of luck I always have UG!! My MIL usually watches the kids for me and she can't do it tonight. There is a slight possibility that hubby will get out of work on time, but I won't know for sure until it's time to leave!!

I also got our new mattress today that we've waited over a week for and they went to set it up and the bed frame we bought does not have all the pieces so I may have to drive 45 min to get that piece and I was suppose to get FREE sheets with my bed because I don't have any in that size yet, and they forgot to send those too so I have to get to them all before they all close UG!!

I swear they could make a soap opera out of my bad luck ;-)!! I could take reality TV to the next realm hehe!!

~~Angie~~

Join eNewsletter

Angie,

I'm sorry you won't be able to go! Maybe next month.

In terms of managing the board --- this thread probably would have been better suited to the thread that it was referencing...otherwise people might not know what you are talking about! Often, related ideas are kept together in the thread for this reason.

Laura

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter