Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Electra

Local Celiac Support Group's Leader Makes Me Nervous!

Ravenwoodglass,

I have no idea what it would be. I don't think oat hulls are a standard source of cellulose in food.

richard

It was gluten in the mozzarella. This was from Sargento's website, figured you'd rather see that than hear what the rep said when I called. And it was not on the label or I never would have eaten it.

Q. Is there gluten in Sargento cheeses?

We are pleased to tell you that most Sargento natural cheeses should be acceptable to a gluten-free diet. However, there are a few exceptions.

There is wheat gluten in Sargento Blue Cheese. Sargento Imitation Mozzarella Shredded Cheese contains a modified food starch that may contain gluten

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Join eNewsletter

It was gluten in the mozzarella. This was from Sargento's website, figured you'd rather see that than hear what the rep said when I called. And it was not on the label or I never would have eaten it.

Q. Is there gluten in Sargento cheeses?

We are pleased to tell you that most Sargento natural cheeses should be acceptable to a gluten-free diet. However, there are a few exceptions.

There is wheat gluten in Sargento Blue Cheese. Sargento Imitation Mozzarella Shredded Cheese contains a modified food starch that may contain gluten

Well, I think it's important to note that we were talking about *cheese* - not *imitation cheese*. Those are two very different things in many ways.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

Join eNewsletter

I'm way late in replying to this, but I'd interpret her comment as "If it isn't labeled gluten-free, you must verify it's gluten-free-ness before eating". Obviously not everything that's gluten-free is labeled, so it is best to call and confirm if it isn't explicitly stated. Good luck at your meeting! You can learn a lot from these "paranoid" types - they may have discovered gluten in places you would never imagine!

Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.

Peanut-Free since July 2006.

Join eNewsletter

They were exclusively gluten free and extremely junk food oriented. I know full well that I wasn't the only celiac there with other allergies or who would rather not eat tons of starch, shortening and white sugar.

I hear you there! I tried going to the local gluten-free support group once - and not only did not a single person come up and say hello, even though we were the only people there without nametags on - but it was all about what junk food we could safely eat. isn't that what got us into this mess in the first place? I don't eat meat, although I eat fish, eat gluten and dairy free, avoid sugar as much as possible, and still struggle with tomatoes - and not one thing they offered would fit into my diet - not only that, but they weren't even aware what was in things, and i was. I would have thought that people who have to be careful enough to read labels on everything would be sensitive to other people's allergies, but got the brush off when I asked if something had dairy or sugar in it.

Join eNewsletter

Well, to be fair, it is a gluten-free group, not a healthy diet group. Expecting people to be into healthy foods just because they're gluten-free is probably not realistic for most people. From what I can tell, most gluten-free people are concerned more about eating as close to however they were eating before they were diagnosed, not in making any additional changes.

Now for me, it changed a lot more than just my gluten status. I started looking at foods as things that can tear down your health or build it.

Join eNewsletter

FYI, I wasn't considering the imitation stuff - That stuff is so gross, I don't know how you could stomach it in the first place :)

The Bleu cheese is a safeguard due to the process that it undergoes. Again, there has been new research and a recent Livin Without article which discusses the bleu cheese dilemma indepth.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter