Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rutland

Happy Times! I Feel So Much Better!

Its been a rough go for the past year or so for me. Went gluten free in August and solved my neurological problems with numbness, tingling and weakness. So I thought that a strict adherance to the gluten free diet would be enough for me to improve all the others stuff, like the exhaustion, insomnia, depression, brain fog,back pain, and anxiety. I felt completely hopeless. Until now.

It feels like the black fog has lifted. What I realized is that even though I was strictly gluten free, I was still consuming foods that my body reacted to. I was afraid to limit my diet further but I felt I needed to do something. I knew I had sensitivities to dairy, and egg, but I still consumed them in small amounts because I thought that I needed the variation. Also I noticed I didnt feel right eating the gluten-free baked goods, like the breads and cookies and all gluten-free processed foods. So now that I eliminated dairy, egg, and the baked goods I feel a tremendous shift. I am now just eating meats, fish, poultry, veggies, fruits, and nuts. What a difference!

Im also taking some good supplements. This one supplement Im taking for magnesium is awesome. Its a powdered supplement that you mix with water. It makes me feel more calm and for some reason helps control my blood sugar from dropping.

I finally feel human again. :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

congratulations .. It's always good to hear someone is doing well .... :rolleyes: Marcia

ps. I have to stay away from those gluten-free goodies too. Maybe when we are healed .....

Jan 1990 - Dx CFS/ME/FM (URI's, Ataxia, myoclonus, orthostatic hypotension, insomnia, brain fog, swollen lymph nodes, sore throat... ) Completely Disabled (housebound and bedridden at times)

2004 - Digestive pain all the time.

May 2004 - Hiatal hernia, erosive gastritis, gastroparesis (endoscopy)

August 2004 - Colon polyps, diverticulitus, internal hemorrhoids (colonoscopy)

No relief from Nexium, Prilosec, Protonix, Zelnorm, Miralax, Imodium, Lomotil ...

July 2005 - GP recommended WFDFSFEFCF + vegan (Also, anything that hurts free)

Immediately stopped needing naps and digestive pain reduced.

Sept 2005 - GFDFCFSFEF + chemical free - Immediately stopped feeling jittery / buzzing and digestive issues were much better.

June 2006 - Dx B12 and iron deficient. Started B12 injections and using cast iron pan.

August 2006 - MYOCLONUS GONE. (off Klonopin)

September 2006 - ATAXIA, INSOMNIA and Feeling like the floor was moving under my feet gone.

June 19, 2007 - Positive DQ2, Dx Celiac

October 2007 - Sleeping like a baby, waking up with energy, but still having fatigue/stamina issues

Nov 2007 - Started Paleo diet for chronic hypoglycemia

April 2008 - GTT normal. I'm no longer hypoglycemic. Started Low oxalate diet for kidney stones.

May 1, 2008 - Began salt loading for OI/NMH - noticed immediately muscle weakness was gone. I was sodium deficient but my labs don't reflect it. Still working on OI and PEM.

Many who visit this site are in the maelstrom of celiac suffering. Those of us who have gone through it know there is nothing worse - it seems to attack not only your body, but your mind, making you feel like you'll never escape.

But there is hope, the body DOES heal. When the fog lifts and health returns, it's absolutely amazing the difference.

To any celiacs reading this who feel hopeless, do NOT give up hope. Avoid the "poison", be patient, and you will be a new person in time.

God bless,

Christian

Gluten free since 7/6/06. :)

Enterolab Results positive 8/24/06:

Antigliadin IgA 33 (Normal Range <10 Units)

Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 16 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Anti-casein (cow’s milk) IgA antibody 21 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,1 (Subtype 8,5)

Blood test somewhat positive 7/6/06:

Antigliadin IgG (only) 57 (Normal range <20 units)

"Perspective is Reality"

I have also started to feel better. It took a while for me to figure out I can't handle any Legumes at all and I kept eating legumes for a long time after I stopped with casein and gluten.

I am very paranoid with preemade/processed food in general. Seems I have gotten sick from stuff that shouldn't make me sick. I have had problems eating this corn chips brand (Mission) and they have started to print on their bags that the chips are made on the same machine as casein products. So now I know why.

I eat pretty much the same as you. I seem to be ok with egg and corn. I have tried small amounts of it and so far so good, but I doubt I will ever get big on it. I try to follow Dr Fine's advice.

img006.GIF

I am allergic to nuts though, so I don't eat any of that. I am allergic to a bunch of fruits too so that is a little tricky too.

I am thinking baout getting allergy shots for the nuts and fruit, but I am not sure.

Glad you are feeling better!

I guess I can't get that picture to work, so go here to look at it instead: http://www.finerhealth.com/Lecture/img006.GIF

One Celiac gene and one gluten intolerance gene (HLA-DQ 2,1).

Grain free, casein free, soy/legume free + a bunch of allergies I have had since I was a child (stone fruits, nuts..carrots)

Following the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, but no nuts, legumes or casein.

Congrats on feeling better. I know it's hard to give up those last few things, but those subtle effects are often less subtle than we think they are. ;)

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

I am so glad you are feeling better. I had a hard time accepting that I had to do the same thing when I was first healing but I ended up eating basically like you are and am surprised how much of a difference it makes. I still stay away from most mainstream stuff and feel better for it. I never thought I would be happy eating a 'fast food' meal that is fish and veggies wrapped in foil and baked instead of frys and burger. It can be so hard to figure out what our bodies need but when we do what a difference it makes. Congratulations on your hard healing work finally paying off.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

It sounds like you're eating nearly a paleo diet. :) I think it is a tremendous way to eat. Sure, might not be as immediately gratifying as dumping lots of grains, starches and sugar down the gullet, but it pays off in good health! Much easier to control the weight too.

Its so very nice to hear a story of recovery. I am very happy for you!!!

Amy

Diagnosed by biopsy with DH August 2005

Diagnosed with hypo-thyroidism December 2005

Diagnosed by biopsy with Celiac July 2006

Thats wonderful Stef! I feel better when I stay away from grains also. Giving up dairy was very hard though,....I still cheat with that one with a little cheese here and there. If I was just grocery shopping for me I'd literally would just need to shop the perimeter of the store except for olive oil. They've been tellling us to do that for years, and I remember thinking who does that! Its weird how life is.

Gail

Gluten Free since Jan. 06

Gluten intolerant. DQ 0301 DQ 0602

Lactose intolerant.

Glad you are feeling better! I also gave up eggs, most dairy, and most processed stuff and felt better afterwards. Just wanted to note that someone on the board pointed out that they sometimes use eggs to clarify red wines. So, I just crossed red wine off my list for a while too. :( But, rather not drink it than continue with puffy eyes and headaches.

S

This sucks. There is one more thing that I must give up now. Beans. I was out today running errands and when I do that I usually like to bring out some soup in a thermos and have it in between errands. I was really hungry with an empty stomach, and I ate my black bean soup that I love so much. And then WHAM! :blink: A bastard headache, backache, and a pain in my side.

Now I feel overwhemed, I thought I had it all figured out. Hopefully this will be the last item I cross off my list.

I'm glad you're feeling better; its good to know that you are successfully navigating this sometimes confusing area and are figuring out what your body needs (or doesn't need right now)! I think most of us here have been / are in the same boat as you are, and we "overstand"!!! :lol:

I've had to shed - in addition to dairy/casein which I've always been allergic to - peanuts, chocolate (not sure what it is in the chocolate, but its a scary reaction!), sugar, shellfish, most processed foods and, most recently potatoes, eggs and soy. I'm a vegetarian, so no meat either; I really can't stomach it. I've also like some of you been limiting my grains recently - not entirely on purpose, though - and am amazed at how much better and lighter I feel. I haven't had beans in a while, actually...humnnn...I wonder if that's another thing to look into?? :blink:

Who knew that this diagnosis would lead to such major life changes? I sure didn't! However I see it as a new lease on life, though at times things may seem overwhelming...

Gluten-free since 10/05 - Positive dietary response with Doctor's validation! - Debilitating migraines, constant dizziness and lightheadedness gone; anxiety & panic attacks, depression, agoraphobia and extreme exhaustion considerably lessoned

Dairy/Casein Intolerant

Soy, Cabbage, Sugar, Peanut, Shellfish, Caffeine, Egg, Potato and Tomato allergies / intolerances

Sporadic reactions to: Poultry

Avoiding all preservatives and additives

Also Multiple Chemical/Environmental Sensitivities

Mitral Valve Prolapse

Pulmonary Embolism - 1999

Dance, when you're broken open.

Dance, if you've torn the bandage off.

Dance in the middle of fighting.

Dance in your blood.

Dance, when you are perfectly free.

RUMI

Thanks so much for sharing this :) I hope you feel better from the beans really soon.

The tough thing about stopping eating the foods that do this to us is, in my very recent experience (I've just started an elimination diet) the withdrawal effects, as often the things that are worse for us are the ones we're addicted to.

Nancy - I think I'm starting to agree about the paleo diet :)

Susie from Coventry, UK

IBS & GERD 2000

Screened for coeliac disease as sister has it - negative blood test

Nov 2005 positive blood tests

January 2006 dx by biopsy

gluten-free and dairy lite since then

I am also neutropenic, anaemic and have hypothyroidism

Feb 08: free protein S deficiency; candida overgrowth; adrenal exhaustion

'My grace is enough; it's all you need. My strength comes into its own in your weakness.' 2 Corinthians 12

Thanks so much for sharing this :) I hope you feel better from the beans really soon.

The tough thing about stopping eating the foods that do this to us is, in my very recent experience (I've just started an elimination diet) the withdrawal effects, as often the things that are worse for us are the ones we're addicted to.

Nancy - I think I'm starting to agree about the paleo diet :)

Susie, thanks for your book recommendation. I just ordered it from amazon and Im eager to implement new ideas. I want to learn all I can about this, highly misunderstood condition.

Steph

Glad to hear you are feeling much better. Isn't it amazing what a change in food can do? Talk about a whole new light. I know personally I feel like a whole new person.

~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

36_22_10[1].gif