Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mb1894

I Made A Mistake

Yesterday I grabed a bottle of what I thought

was Rum. When I opened it last night I discovered

it was Blended Whiskey!! Made a very good hot toddy!

But is blended whiskey allowed? I looked up the

allowed/forbidden ingredients and Scotch Whiskey is

allowed-but blended?

Thanks mb1894

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Yesterday I grabed a bottle of what I thought

was Rum. When I opened it last night I discovered

it was Blended Whiskey!! Made a very good hot toddy!

But is blended whiskey allowed? I looked up the

allowed/forbidden ingredients and Scotch Whiskey is

allowed-but blended?

Thanks mb1894

Your best bet is to call the maker and ask. Also there are many celiacs who can tolerate distilled gluten grains but there are many who can not. You won't know if you do till you try one. When you try it for the first time make sure there are no other 'maybe' items in you diet so you will be better able to pinpoint the cause of a reaction if you have one.

In addition you may want to note what the Celiac Sprue Association has to say about distilled grain alcohol in their dietary reccomendation. The foundation stage is when first diagnosed and the expanding stage is when we are healed enough to add more 'risky' foods in.

Alcoholic Beverages

FOUNDATION STAGE:

Wine and brandies without preservatives and added dyes; potato vodka; most rums and tequila.

EXPANDING STAGE:

Distilled liquors known to be from wheat, barley or rye are categorized as “rendered gluten-free through processing.” If the product is from a gluten source, it does not conform to the diet of those who choose a zero tolerance level gluten-free diet

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

All distilled alcohol is gluten free. So if it is distilled, it is safe.

as long as they don't add stuff to it that wasn't distilled.

Blended whisky is whiskey from several batches (or even suppliers) mixed together to achieve a consistent taste (as opposed to whisky from a single batch of malt (single malt)). As long as they don't add barley water or some such thing AFTER distillation, it should be safe.