Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jerseygrl

Tapioca Starch --

I am going to make the Bette Hagman's Pizza Crust. But I can't for the life of me find Tapioca Starch. What is it, can it be substituted in this recipe? Thanks!

1-1/2 cups gluten-free flour mix (3/4 cup white rice flour, 1/2 cup potato starch, 1/4 cup tapioca starch)

1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon xantham gum

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon sugar

7/8 cup lukewarm water

1 tablespoon rapid-rising yeast (1 packet)

1 egg or 1/4 cup liquid egg substitute

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

My mom was dx'd Celiac in her 80's after a life time of stomach troubles. I am fine however.

2nd daughter born in 2000

An agitated kid since birth, non-compliant attitude, dx'd with PDDNOS in 2003, ADHD in 2006

Had ongoing facial rash since 2004 -- tested for Lupus -- negative, discovered a high antibody count.

Never complained of stomach ache

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Tapioca is made from the starch of the cassava root.

Tapioca starch might be the same or similar to tapioca flour, though I've not checked to see if there really is any difference. I'd be surprised if it could be easily substituted in this or many other recipes. You can get tapioca starch at many health food stores, and it's all over the place online, such as the gluten-free mall, which is linked on the left hand side of the page.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

Thanks RG. I did go to our health food store -- no such luck, although they did have tapioca flour. But like you, I was hesitant to substitute with it.

Guess I will try a store about 20 miles away. I'd like to make this tomorrow, so too late for a web order.

My mom was dx'd Celiac in her 80's after a life time of stomach troubles. I am fine however.

An agitated kid since birth, non-compliant attitude, dx'd with PDDNOS in 2003, ADHD in 2006

Had ongoing facial rash since 2004 -- tested for Lupus -- negative, discovered a high antibody count.

Ah, I found this on allergygrocer.com:

Tapioca Starch: (also known as tapioca flour) Very fine powder with soft, airy, starchy texture. It is white in color & has no aroma. It is made from the Cassava plant. It adds chewiness & elasticity (springiness) to baked goods. It lightens baked goods & can cause them to brown quickly. Tapioca can be used to replace cornstarch or arrowroot.

Mystery solved! Back to the original HF store......