Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VegasCeliacBuckeye

Immediate Family Members Should Be Tested!

She had the blood test and she tested positive for Celiac (at least the gene) . She just had the EGD tests done and is awaiting those...

I don't know whether to feel bad or relieved for her...

At least now she will want to join me for the Holiday meals and not the family...

Bronco

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Bronco, it is good that your mother got tested. And I can understand your mixed feelings, I think we all can understand them.

All I want is my immediate family to get tested (not all of them have) so that they know either way whether they have the disease or not. If they all got tested, I would be able to rest a little easier for them. It is not because I want someone to share the disease with, I just want them to be a bit more responsible about their own health, and to do their own worrying and not leave it up to me.

Cathy

Good for your mom!!!

Since my daughter was the first one DX - I was the next one to be tested. Now, I'm practically begging MY first degree family members to be tested, but they all think I'm nuts. =(

I wish they'd wake up and stop ignoring the health issues that have plagued them their entire lives. Their lives could be so much better if they'd just stop consuming gluten!!!

Jayhawkmom -

Mom of three....

Jay - 11

Bean - 8

Ian - 3

Chris

Of anyone, what is the exact name of the gene test. I would like to have my girls tested and hopefully they will agree.

Thanks, Lisa

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

That's great your mom got tested.....kind of bittersweet that she is positive though. At least now she can take control of her health and prevent any further complications.

I wish my family would get tested, but no one will. Even my brother who has been really sick since he was a child refuses to believe he may have it. It's driven us apart somewhat. Last time he came over, he had a few beers and immediately was in the bathroom for the rest of the night. I try to hold my tongue most of the time about how skinny he looks, but when he got sick all over my bathroom, I felt like that gave me the right to say something! It did not go well, he really thinks he's fine.

Hope everyone else has a family who takes celiac a bit more seriously!

Tamara, mom to 4 gluten & casein free kiddos!

Age 11 - Psoriasis

Age 8- dx'd Celiac March 2005

Age 6- gluten-free/cf, allergy related seizures

Age 4 - reflux, resolved with gluten-free/cf

Sorry, it's been posted before, but I have forgotten. Would someone please clarify exactly what constitutes a "first degree relative" or a second or third, etc.? And also the likelihood for them genetically having celiac/gluten intolerance (either your observed personal opinion or statistics). Thanks!

Grandparents = ?

Parents = ?

Siblings = ?

Children = ?

Cousins, Aunts, Uncles = ?

My understanding is that a first degree relative is a parent, sibling or child of yours.

And if you have the celiac gene, it had to come from somewhere. That means either your mom or dad is carrying it.

Any advice on how to convince family members to get tested? Like some of you, my mom and sister absolutely refuse to get tested. My sister just tells me that she doesn't want to give up eating cookies and muffins! It's kinda ticking me off. . . . .

My mom is a nurse, so she kinda accepted it when I brought it up. She is also a logical and reasonable person.

My brothers will be tougher. I can see my eldest brother getting his kids tested before he will. He is the kind of guy that loves Guiness, Pasta, French Bread, etc.

My other brother might be easier, but he will still go kicking and screaming.

Bronc

My understanding is that a first degree relative is a parent, sibling or child of yours.

And if you have the celiac gene, it had to come from somewhere. That means either your mom or dad is carrying it.

Any advice on how to convince family members to get tested? Like some of you, my mom and sister absolutely refuse to get tested. My sister just tells me that she doesn't want to give up eating cookies and muffins! It's kinda ticking me off. . . . .

My family won't be tested either. In our case it would require Enterolab type testing and money is an issue there. But the main reason is that they honestly don't want to know. I'm afraid it will have to wait until they get sick enough to be out of choices. Another sad reason is that they honestly think this is all a bunch of hooey.

lisa, through prothethius lab, our ped gi ordered celiagene and celiaplus.

Christine

15 year old twins with celiac, diagnosed dec. 2005

11 year old daughter with celiac diagnosed dec 2005

17 year old son with celiac gene

Lisa: Your doc should know what the "name" of the panel is, depending on which lab they use. All they need to know is that they want to be tested for the presence of "Celiac genes" which are HLA-DQ2 and HLA-DQ8.

Like Chrissy mentioned above, many use "Prometheus" as their lab of choice for that type of testing.

Well,

Mom just got back the test results from the endoscopy. She has Celiac! She alsso has elevated IGA and IG levels.

I told her "welcome to the club" and if she has any questions, I am here.

Once she gets her new computer, she will be coming on this site.

BB

p.s. No, you cannot ask her any potentially embarrassing questions about me - LOL

:)

What do you mean, in that I cannot ask her any embarassing questions about you? I just started a list. You mean I have to throw it away - that sucks big time.

"Throw yourself a pity-party and you'll be the only guest." - Earlene Fowler

Diag. Celiac Disease by positive blood test 2/03/2004

Allergies - corn, soy, casein, egg whites and wheat

Morphia Scleroderma

Osteoarthritis

Hypothyroid and Hperthyroid

Essential Tremors

Asthma

Migraines

Fibromyalgia - diag. in 1978 when they called it Fibrositis

PAD Peripheral Artery Disease

Angina and Atrial Fibrillation

Gluten Ataxia

Vitiligo

Scoliosis of the spine (caused by malabsorption and it is horribly painful) This would be enough reason for someone to go gluten free.

Ocular Myastenia Gravis

Guest AutumnE

Im sorry your mom has it too. Me, my daughter, my sister, my bil, my niece and nephew all have it.

My parents have the gene at least if not the antibody due to me and my sister both having a double gene, they didnt get tested themselves but obviously we get it from somewhere ;)

My husband still needs some coaxing to get tested even though he basically eats gluten free anyways.

Unfortunately not everyone sticks to their diet faithfully but I hope they come around soon. My mom, dad, and bil dont stick to it at all, I would call them more gluten lite than gluten free. It helps tremendously with holidays though since everybody makes gluten free dishes.

What do you mean, in that I cannot ask her any embarassing questions about you? I just started a list. You mean I have to throw it away - that sucks big time.

So-o- funny! :D

Well Bronco, I'm sorry that your mom is positive, but as we all know, it's best that she know so she can heal and be as healthy as she can. :)

I look forward to meeting her on the board!

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev