This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Helps With Energy Level?

GEF

GEF Explorer

I'm in the midst of more testing, which means that I'm not gluten-free yet. Believe, every passing day I detest gluten more and can't wait to ban it from my life. But I'm dealing with an energy level that is so unbearably low and I don't know what could help. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Gretchen

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

Exercise? Sleep? Hormone blood tests? I don't know... if it were me, I'd probably just say "I'll keep sleeping 'til the tests are over", but I blew a summer that way, so maybe not the best of advice. ;-)

GEF Explorer
I'd probably just say "I'll keep sleeping 'til the tests are over"

Hahahahahaa! That's what I feel like doing!

Guest Lindam

I just went to a new Internist who specializes in Celiac and IBS. What she said to me is that "our" bodies have a hard time digesting B vitamins, which help out the energy level. So she is recommending that I go for the B-12 shots. I am not looking forward to that, but I can't stand feeling so tired, either.

Has anyone else heard of this treatment? I am very curious to know.

Linda

dkmb Newbie

I too have unbearable fatigue at times, although I am at this point gluten-free, just not healed yet.

At work I break my day up into shorter breaks. I also have taken some of my sick leave an hour or more at a time. Last week was a killer for me and I ended up taking 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours sick leave 3 days and came in on one day for only half my shift.

I go to bed as early as I can and get up later than usual. Those vitamin B shots sound worth looking into.

DK

GEF Explorer
Those vitamin B shots sound worth looking into.

I agree! I'm going to ask my doctor about those. Although I'm not much of a shot person, I'd gladly take them if it helped!

Mysteriously, I have energy and no cloud-head today... I'm running through all the things in my mind that could have caused that! :lol: I wonder if this is what people feel like normally?

Dk... I need just as much rest as you do. I live close enough to the office, so sometimes I'll take my lunch and get some sleep in. It's wonderful that your job is so flexible with your hours!

Gretchen

Guest Lindam

I did get B-12 shots after I had mono, and I knew back then it did some real good. I wish I lived close enough to go home a take a happy nap. Please if you guys do talk to your doctor, I am very curious as to what they say.

Linda :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GEF Explorer
Please if you guys do talk to your doctor, I am very curious as to what they say.

Absolutely!

I have to wait until 10/8, but I'm going there with a list!! :lol:

ryebaby0 Enthusiast

Things that could make you extra tired (like life doesn't do that, anyway!) A b12 deficiency, anemia, or an underactive thyroid! Are you taking a multi? Keep in mind that if you are celiac, you aren't absorbing a lot of what you are eating..... Hang in there....

dkmb Newbie

I had forgotten, but one woman I work with who was ill, returned to work on a gradual basis. Her doctor actually wrote out a prescription for the amount of hours she could work each week for about 2 to 3 weeks.

DK

YankeeDB Contributor

Before I was diagnosed, I was hitting the caffeine quite a bit. Might be short term solution to get you through it. Not the best solution, I know.

brehm48 Newbie

I definitely agree with the b vitamin thing. We suffer from lack of absorption so we have to ingest a lot higher levels of vitamins to hope that we absorb some.

If you don't want to get shots, there are some really good vitamins out there. They are made by Alacer Corp. The vitamins also come in powder form, which is a lot easier to digest. There is a web site on the box www.alacercorp.com. I get them at the local co-op market. I have not contacted the company to verify that they are gluten-free but I've never had a reaction to them.

The vitamins are called Emer'gen-C the base of them is actually Vitamin-C which also helps with lack of energy. They are bonded to trace minerals making them non-acidic. I know I can't handle all the acid in regular vit-C. The majority of them contain very high levels of B Vitamins. After I drink a couple of these I actually feel energy. I use to drink caffeine when I was tired, but these actually give you more energy than caffeine. Just an idea

GEF Explorer

Thank you, Rebecca! I visited their website and will see if I can get them today. They have a list of retailers on their site, and a few of them are local. I know this is bad, but I usually eat the Flintstone's chewables... regular multi's are awfully strong and give me nausea.

If it weren't for celiac, I probably wouldn't be drinking coffee.

Oh... also on the Alacer website (on the faq's tab), they say that all of their vitamins are gluten-free! Yeah!

What's a good flavor?? They all look good.

Gretchen

hthorvald Rookie

I've been gluten free for 4 months now and my energy level is low. I keep hoping that it'll improve. I took b-12 shots before my diagnosis, but it didn't help. I might try again, though. My headaches are killer, but could be my body trying to adjust to no glutens. Quite a confusing time. So what's a cloud-head or cloud headache?

that's true! I sorta assumed you were taking plenty of viatmins. the B's definitely help, though I've been fine with oral and not needed to go with shots (best to take them with food, of course)

GEF Explorer

I got a couple of boxes during lunch to try out... the raspberry & tropical fruit flavors. They were majorly on sale at the Vitamin Shoppe... like 40% off! I added a packet of the raspberry vitamin packet to my iced tea.. and it was good!!! I'm feeling pretty good today anyway, but I'm definitely going to try them out on my "down" days too to see if they help.

In regards to cloud-head, I believe it to be like a mental-exhaustion... where you feel in la-la land and have trouble concentrating, fatigued and listless or giddy.. it feels as if your head is in the clouds. I'm sure if a doctor heard me describe those symptoms, they'd say it was depression... I guess you can say it sort of feels like that. I'm not prone to headaches, but could be experiencing some gluten and/or caffeine withdrawals?

Gretchen

brehm48 Newbie

Hey Gretchen,

I'm glad you got some vitamins. I think they will help a lot. I ussually take two to four packets everyday. The extra vitamin-C helps ward off colds, and the vitamins help me have energy. Most of the flavors are good it just depends on what you like. I don't really like that mixed berry one with Calcium but I still use it cause it's the only flavor with a lot of calcium. I don't know if you noticed but they all have a little bit different vitamins in them. There is one that has Glucosamine & Chondroitin, these are really good for your joints. I know that I read on one of these forums that some celiacs have joint problems. Also there is one that has MSM which is suppost to help with energy. Here is a very interesting article on this web site about the benefits of MSM.

Open Original Shared Link

:blink: About the cloudy head thing, I know what that feels like. I read in an article that the blood veins in your brain actually swell(ie bloating and swelling, leaky gut syndrome) up when you eat gluten and that is what causes ADD and Cloudy head. If I remember were I read the article I will post it.

Isn't it wonderful to have a day full of energy! If I had one majic wish it would be energy. :P

Honestly, I think the cloudy-headedness is the opiate effect of the gluten when it hits the brain. It's just like high doses of codeine, which is also an opiate.

Archived