Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

amybeth

School-aged Children In Us

I have been reading old posts about school lunches, etc.

As a teacher in a public school in Pennsylvania, I thought this might be helpful to someone.

A student in US public schools who has special needs that do not qualify for "Special Education" can get a legal document created that outlines those specific needs. It's called a 504 plan.

I have taught students with 504's for a number of concerns like......bee sting allergies, peanut allergies, ADD/ADHD, and a fatique syndrome.

The document outlines the specific needs and makes it clear to the school how they must accomodate this student so he/she can successfully access what he/she needs at school.

It may say, the school should provide a 'peanut free' lunch table, so the student can eat without risk.

It may say, the child must have an epi pen on his/her person if they are required to be outside.

It may say, the doorways of the school classrooms must be wide enough to accomodate the child's wheelchair, if the student is permanently confined to a wheelchair, etc.

You would need to have documentation to support that the condition (celiacs) exists.

Why couldn't we request "gluten free" lunch tables?

I do not know if there are limitations on what it can cover, but your school counselor, nurse or administrator should be able to help you.

Just thought I'd throw it out there. If and when I do have children and if they have celiacs, this is one of the first questions I'd ask the school. "Can you provide a 504 plan for my child so he can be safe and successful at school?"

Hope this helps!

Amy

Gluten Free since 4/05 - adult onset

Symptoms for 4+ years prior

Immediate family tests negative

No Known family members w/ celiac disease

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi, Amybeth, thank you for the informative post!

I am in Pittsburgh--is a 504 the same thing as an IEP?

No they are not the same. Depending on what they are written for, they can sometimes overlap or cover the same items. However most children do not have both. They have one or the other. Here are some definitions.

Section 504 is a civil rights law that prohibits discrimination against individuals with disabilities. Section 504 ensures that the child with a disability has equal access to an education. The child may receive accommodations and modifications.

Unlike the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), Section 504 does not require the school to provide an individualized educational program (IEP) that is designed to meet the child's unique needs and provides the child with educational benefit. Under Section 504, fewer procedural safeguards are available to children with disabilities and their parents than under IDEA.

This individualized education plan (IEP) describes the goals the team has set for the child for the school year, as well as any special supports that are needed to help achieve those goals.

Jessica

Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!

Kansas