Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ptkds

I Think I Have Dh

I was recently diagnosed w/ celiac disease. Last week I was glutened by some ice cream that I thought was safe. Instead of getting diarrhea, I got a rash. It was mostly on my face at first. My nose, cheek, under my eye, on the back of my neck, and around my mouth were the worst. It wasn't symmetrical, though. But it is so itchy! And sweating makes it itch and burn, especially on my face. I went to the dr, and he diagnosed it as impetigo because the spot on my nose was oozing and very red. Now it is clearing up on my face, but my arms have gotten really bad. It is also on my stomach and legs, but not as bad. It isn't symmetrical, but some areas are slightly symmetrical. It looks like poison ivy according to a nurse and the dr., but I definetly have not been exposed to that.

So, could this be DH? I have requested a referral to a dermatologist, but I don't have an appt. set up yet. Someone please tell me if iths sounds like DH!

Thanks!

ptkds

ptkds

Mom of 4 beautiful girls (the 2 youngest are only 10 months apart!)
Diagnosed with Celiac disease on November 8, 2006; gluten-free as of 12-1-06.

DD#2 13 years old; diagnosed on November 28, 2006. gluten-free as of 12-7-06.
DD#3 9 years old; diagnosed through blood work in October 2006. Gluten-free as of mid-November and doing GREAT!!
DD#4 8 years old; had a scope done on 6-22-07 (at 14 months old) and the dr saw stomach ulcers, but all test results were negative. GI dr told us to put her on the gluten free diet anyway. She is gluten free as of 6-22-07.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I was recently diagnosed w/ celiac disease. Last week I was glutened by some ice cream that I thought was safe. Instead of getting diarrhea, I got a rash. It was mostly on my face at first. My nose, cheek, under my eye, on the back of my neck, and around my mouth were the worst. It wasn't symmetrical, though. But it is so itchy! And sweating makes it itch and burn, especially on my face. I went to the dr, and he diagnosed it as impetigo because the spot on my nose was oozing and very red. Now it is clearing up on my face, but my arms have gotten really bad. It is also on my stomach and legs, but not as bad. It isn't symmetrical, but some areas are slightly symmetrical. It looks like poison ivy according to a nurse and the dr., but I definetly have not been exposed to that.

So, could this be DH? I have requested a referral to a dermatologist, but I don't have an appt. set up yet. Someone please tell me if iths sounds like DH!

Thanks!

ptkds

My daughters DH looks exactly like poison ivy (just not as sever and it's spread out over certain parts of her body) She gets it mainly on the back of the neck and in the hairline, but also on her cheeks and nose, and on her legs. She gets a few spots on her back sometimes too. Hers is usually just a few bump in each area not all at the same time, but when she first started getting them we thought it was poison ivy, and then chicken pox, and now that I have Celiac I KNOW that it's DH!!

Good Luck and I hope it feels better soon!!

~~Angie~~

DX'd With Narcolepsy In 1995

Dx'ed With Celiac On 12-18-06

Positive Biopsy On 2-1-07

DX'd With Pernicious Anemia 4-24-07

Daughter Has DH, so I suspect she also has Celiac!!

"If Alcoholism was Celiac Disease they would make us drink ourselves into kidney failure before they would admit we had the disease"

Sounds like it could be. I get spots right under my eye or on the lid by my lashes and man they hurt. The only time I would call mine symmetrical is when I have had a steady stream of gluten over a peroid of time and needless to say I don't do that anymore. Mine is usually one on an elbow, one on a knee. The best way I can think to describe what it feels like at first is almost like a rug burn, then comes the most fun....the ITCHING! LOL. Good luck I hope you find a solution.

Amy

Diagnosed by biopsy with DH August 2005

Diagnosed with hypo-thyroidism December 2005

Diagnosed by biopsy with Celiac July 2006

Two questions:

Has your doctor given you anything for your "impetigo"?

Have you tried it, and did it work?

Impetigo is highly contagious, and could easily spread to the rest of your body. . .and it looks quite a lot like really bad DH. If you actually have impetigo, you need to change your sheets and towels (wash the dirty ones seperately from those of the rest of your family in VERY hot water and detergent) as well as any clothing that came in contact with your "impetigo" (and any clothes that were in contact in your closet with clothes that were in contact with your impetigo. Yes, I'm serious.). You also need to fill the prescription your doctor gave you (or find a new doctor who will give you one if the first one didn't give you anything) and use it religiously (if it is a lotion) - make sure you understand the instructions (harass your doctor or pharmacist if you don't) - for at least a week. If your impetigo doesn't clear up from the lotion (you should see dramatic improvement within three days) or spreads to other parts of your body, you need to go back to the doctor and get an oral antibiotic suitable for treating staph and other bacterial causes of impetigo. Wash your hands thoroughly and frequently with antibacterial soap (the ONLY time you will hear me recommend antibacterial soap), do NOT share your towels with anyone, and keep any oozing blisters or lesions covered with bandaids or gauze - wash your hands every single time you scratch, before you touch anything else. As always, call your doctor if areas of your skin become HOT, tight, and very itchy - this can indicate a deeper skin infection.

The rash locations you describe are clinically significant for impetigo, and not so much for DH - by all means make an appointment with a dermatologist, but try treating for impetigo first.