Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lisa

Ingredience Question?

Question?

Diamond Pecans lists ingredience as "Pecans, BHT (0.02%) in corn oil to preserve freshness"

Anyone know what BHT is?

Thanks

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

BHT is a food additive. It's used in cosmetics as well. Many countries have banned it's use in foods, but our country seems to like such things LOL.

"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

Thank you, still debating whether it's going to end up in the salad.

Lisa

Looks like the BHT keeps your Pecans from going rancid. Here's some info from about.chemistry.com. Best regards, lm

How do they preserve food?

BHA and BHT are antioxidants. Oxygen reacts preferentially with BHA or BHT rather than oxidizing fats or oils, thereby protecting them from spoilage. In addition to being oxidizable, BHA and BHT are fat-soluble. Both molecules are incompatible with ferric salts. In addition to preserving foods, BHA and BHT are also used to preserve fats and oils in cosmetics and pharmaceuticals.

What foods contain BHA and BHT?

BHA is generally used to keep fats from becoming rancid. It is also used as a yeast de-foaming agent. BHA is found in butter, meats, cereals, chewing gum, baked goods, snack foods, dehydrated potatoes, and beer. It is also found in animal feed, food packaging, cosmetics, rubber products, and petroleum products.

BHT also prevents oxidative rancidity of fats. It is used to preserve food odor, color, and flavor. Many packaging materials incorporate BHT. It is also added directly to shortening, cereals, and other foods containing fats and oils.

Are BHA and BHT safe?

Both BHA and BHT have undergone the additive application and review process required by the US Food and Drug Administration. However, the same chemical properties which make BHA and BHT excellent preservatives may also be implicated in health effects. The oxidative characteristics and/or metabolites of BHA and BHT may contribute to carcinogenicity or tumorigenicity; however the same reactions may combat oxidative stress. There is evidence that certain persons may have difficulty metabolizing BHA and BHT, resulting in health and behavior changes. BHA and BHT may have antiviral and antimicrobial activities. Research is underway concerning the use of BHT in the treatment of herpes simplex and AIDS.

There's more at: http://chemistry.about.com/library/weekly/aa082101a.htm

Question?

Diamond Pecans lists ingredience as "Pecans, BHT (0.02%) in corn oil to preserve freshness"

Anyone know what BHT is?

Thanks

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

Whoa...larrymac, I thank you for that information.

It is strange, what we put into our systems and don't even know it. Well, needless to say, the pecans are not going to be used. Uggg

Thank you for your research and your time. I am grateful.

Lisa

Hey, I wasn't trying to talk you out of eating your pecans. I've worked in laboratories all my adult life. Chemicals are nothing to me. People take antioxidant suppliments all the time. Besides, that BHA & BHT must be working pretty good, I've never had Herpes or Aids (ha,ha) !

lm

Whoa...larrymac, I thank you for that information.

It is strange, what we put into our systems and don't even know it. Well, needless to say, the pecans are not going to be used. Uggg

Thank you for your research and your time. I am grateful.

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa