Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

almostnrn

Does It Have To Be Gluten Related?

I'm curious...sometimes I get a spot of DH here or there and it doesn't seem to be related to getting glutened. Are there other things that can trigger it? I have read about iodine. I have also asked my dermatologist and they don't have any idea. I actually had one dermatologist reccommend that I eat food with gluten so I could track how long it took me to break out! Hmmmm, I don't think so!

Amy

Diagnosed by biopsy with DH August 2005

Diagnosed with hypo-thyroidism December 2005

Diagnosed by biopsy with Celiac July 2006

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

It takes up to five years for the deposits under your skin to clear that cause DH (but I believe I read that two years is average). During that time you can get the odd outbreak here and there, without actually eating gluten. Now, if you actually eat gluten, you'll likely get a major, terrible outbreak.

Limiting your iodine intake is supposed to help a lot. My concern with that is, that your thyroid NEEDS iodine to function. So, I am not sure what to suggest. I am iodine deficient due to limiting my salt intake for 27 years (when a doctor told me that my feet were swollen during my first pregnancy due to too much salt, and I should stop using any salt), and I am hypothyroid.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Limiting your iodine intake is supposed to help a lot. My concern with that is, that your thyroid NEEDS iodine to function.

Its a Catch 22 - isn't it

So ... I could still be tested for DH despite being gluten-free for 6 months. The areas that had the rash still itches a bit - but there is no visible sign of it now.

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.

Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.

Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.

Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.

Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.

News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !

Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

Yes, your skin still contains enough of the IgA deposits to cause the rash for up to six years from your last glutening; no, that doesn't neccessarily mean you could get an accurate test result six months after going gluten-free (particularly if you no longer have visible lesions).

With regard to iodine, my outbreaks have definitely diminished since I cut iodized salt out of my diet. . .and my thyroid function is fine and my iodine levels are comfortably within the normal range because I eat tuna or salmon once a week. The key is to limit your iodine levels, not eliminate it.

The only thing that seems to really clear up my DH though is living completely gluten-free - I am absolutely anal about CC.

ps. Georgie. . .I am so envious. . .invisible after 6 months gluten-free. . .lucky lucky you!

Thanks for the info guys, I had NO IDEA it took that long to clear your system. I guess I shouldn' t gripe about a spot here and there, I know some people really struggle with controlling their DH but sometimes I swear one or two spots on a knee or elbow are worse than a bunch of them!

Amy

Diagnosed by biopsy with DH August 2005

Diagnosed with hypo-thyroidism December 2005

Diagnosed by biopsy with Celiac July 2006