Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest aphares86

New At This Help!

Guest aphares86

Hi! My name is amanda, and I was just diagnosed w/ celiac about a month ago.

There are so many questions I have and so much confusion.

I would like to start today by asking about modified food startch. I have read so much about it, but there are so many different oppinions.

is modified food startch ok as long as the label does not say wheat anywhere on it???

And Modified corn statch, is that ok??

2nd Im confused about vinegar? is it is is it not safe?

Last for today, Maltodextrin... Safe? and I know malt is not, What about Just Dextrin??

Thanks to anyone who can help clear this up for me!

Amanda

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi and welcome to the boards. There is a bit of learning required with this diet but before you know it you'll be reading labels like a pro.

The best place to find answers to your questions is under the foods and products listings further down on the board. These subjects are common ones and you'll find answers to a lot there. Also be sure to check out the main page and the links provided there they are very helpful.

Again welcome and I hope you get the healthy, energetic feelings of the gluten free life soon.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

I would like to start today by asking about modified food startch. I have read so much about it, but there are so many different oppinions.

is modified food startch ok as long as the label does not say wheat anywhere on it???

Last for today, Maltodextrin... Safe? and I know malt is not, What about Just Dextrin??

Amanda

Hello, Welcome to the board. This disease does throw you a learning curve for sure. :P But hang in there, you will soon be an old pro.

Modified food starch 'corn' is perfectly safe. Also Maltodextrin is safe for Celiacs. I believe that Dextrin is safe also, but check with a few others.

With the new label laws in the US Modified food starch is safe unless it says Wheat.

Shirley

[save the Earth, It's the only planet with chocolate and wine.

It isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...

It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Gluten free since 1989

West Kootenay.... British Columbia

Amanda,

Modified food starch is safe if the product is made in the USA. From what I've read, all DISTILLED vinegar is safe. Obviously, barley vinegar is not safe. Maltodextrin must be labeled as "wheat maltodextrin" in the USA if it is derived from wheat. Otherwise, if it just says maltodextrin, it is safe. Dextrin is usually derived from corn in the USA, but imported food with dextrin may contain gluten. I hope this helps.

-Brian

Celiac Sprue

Multiple Food Allergies

Diagnosed June 2006

Stopped Eating June 2007

IV Nutrition: 6/27/07 - Present

Hi Amanda,

Maltodextrin is safe and modified food starch in the US is generally safe. There are some products I have seen which list modified food starch and then (corn) right after it to let customers know it came from corn.

It gets much easier just hang in there. This board is an untapped resource where you will learn the in's and out's of the diet. I found this board to be more help than the handouts I got at dietician I saw. People here are living through this just like us, so it is nice to know we have all been there :):)

Good Luck

~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

36_22_10[1].gif

I have been a step-mother to a 9-year-old girl with Celiac for slightly over a year and a half and am still learning about what is gluten free and what is not. I have been trying to find out for awhile if maltodextrin is safe or not and I am very thankful to finally have that question answered. I was aware that in the U.S., modified food starch is corn, unless specified otherwise, but it is nice to have confirmation on that!

Welcome amanda and everyone new! I spent the first three months of the diet eating peanut butter and rice because it was so much to figure out! It was the longest learning curve I've experienced, but I can say this board helped SO MUCH!

Beverly

Gluten free since 2005

In the midst of winter, I found there was within me an invincible summer.

Albert Careb

36_35_6[1].gif

Amanda

Hey Amanda,

Modified food startch is a big no! mainly because you don't know whats in it!

certain vinegars are ok, read the labels! it's really important! not sure abou the rest but hope i helped!

Lori

Maltodextrin is safe (it isn't actually "malt") and is made from corn.

The only vinegar that is not fine is malt vinegar. Distilled is ok, cider vinegar is ok. Stay away from malt vinegar.

I have heard that modified food starch is not much of a concern now since they would be required to list wheat if it contained wheat (per Jan 06 labeling law, I believe). I still worry about it myself though a little. If in doubt, don't do it. Modified corn starch should be ok since it's corn starch. And I know corn starch is safe. Hope this helps. I'm kinda new myself but have learned a lot in the last few months since diagnosis.......

Amanda

Azzie

I myself have never had a problem with Modified food starch, unless it says (wheat) on it. Maltodextrin has never bothered me either. I have a fear of dextrin for some reason. So, I just stay away from it, I find most products that I use dont have that in it anyway. As was previously said, distilled vinegar is fine. Most vinegars are distilled. No malt vinegar at all. I miss it, especially on my fish and chips, but these are the things that happen with celiacs! good luck! and welcome to the board!

Stephanie

Gluten free since October 05

son born severly premature due to

celiac

"True love stories never end" Richard Bach

"Did you ever stop thinking and forget to start again?" AA Milne

If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you" AA Milne

Swimming Instructor #2 and Town Crier of Rachelville

Hey Amanda,

Modified food startch is a big no! mainly because you don't know whats in it!

This is incorrect information. Modified food starch is safe unless it says wheat. This is mandated by the food allergen labeling law of 2006. By now, *most* labels will be up to date. In general, Modified Food Starch is often corn.

aphares86,

Welcome to the board! We are happy you have found us. This is a great resource. Feel free to ask questions! You'll get the hang of this, I promise :)

Your questions include:

And Modified corn statch, is that ok?? yes, modified corn starch is safe.

2nd Im confused about vinegar? is it is is it not safe? According to the American Dietetic Association, distilled vinegars are safe. This includes white vinegar, apple cide vinegar, vinegar (as written on a label as just vinegar, by FDA law it must be apple cider vinegar), etc. "Malt vinegar" is not safe.

Last for today, Maltodextrin... Safe? and I know malt is not, What about Just Dextrin?? You are correct, "malt" is not safe (derived from barley), but maltodextrin, although it sounds 'bad', is generally a corn derivative, and would be required to say wheat if it weren't (it isn't required to say corn because corn is not covered under the allergen bill). Same with dextrin. Both maltodextrin and dextrin (and another similar one, dextrose) are safe.

Guest aphares86

Thank you Everyone Soooo much! I am finding things are slowly getting easier!!

I made bread for the first timr & it was actually good!!

If ever you know of any good tips or advice or good foos please let me know!!

thanks again!! :D

I read a few good books on celiac disease and gluten sensitivity. It might be helpful to check the out. The titles are: "Dangerous Grains" and "The Gluten Connection", which provides recipes along with a lot of good information. It may help you out being new to the whole process. Take care,

-Brian

Celiac Sprue

Multiple Food Allergies

Diagnosed June 2006

Stopped Eating June 2007

IV Nutrition: 6/27/07 - Present

Just stopping by to say hello, and welcome!

Gluten-free since 10/05 - Positive dietary response with Doctor's validation! - Debilitating migraines, constant dizziness and lightheadedness gone; anxiety & panic attacks, depression, agoraphobia and extreme exhaustion considerably lessoned

Dairy/Casein Intolerant

Soy, Cabbage, Sugar, Peanut, Shellfish, Caffeine, Egg, Potato and Tomato allergies / intolerances

Sporadic reactions to: Poultry

Avoiding all preservatives and additives

Also Multiple Chemical/Environmental Sensitivities

Mitral Valve Prolapse

Pulmonary Embolism - 1999

Dance, when you're broken open.

Dance, if you've torn the bandage off.

Dance in the middle of fighting.

Dance in your blood.

Dance, when you are perfectly free.

RUMI

I had been told that maltodextrin (or just dextrin) are not safe in lotions, cosmetics, hair products, etc. b/c they don't have the same laws - is this true? I know it is safe for food, so figured it would be safe for everything else. So confusing!

I had been told that maltodextrin (or just dextrin) are not safe in lotions, cosmetics, hair products, etc. b/c they don't have the same laws - is this true? I know it is safe for food, so figured it would be safe for everything else. So confusing!

I would just phone the company of the product you are concerned with and check it. I haven't heard that before, but don't really know for sure.

Shirley

[save the Earth, It's the only planet with chocolate and wine.

It isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...

It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Gluten free since 1989

West Kootenay.... British Columbia