Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AmyTopolski

Soes Anyone Grind Their Own Flour?

Hi,

I have recently decided to grind my own flours. Now here's the problem. What to use!?! There are some many different grain mills. Which one works best? Or do we go the Vita Mix way? Any suggestions from those of you who know from experience is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Amy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

i grind my own rice flour. i have a nutrimill grinder. there was a problem with it when i first tried to use it---it took two tries to get things worked out, but they were wonderful to work with and the shipping back and forth was really quick. it grinds a little slower than i was expecting, but i think that is because rice is so hard. it does a good job and is supposed to be able to grind numerous different grains. i haven't tried anything else, yet, but i do plan on grinding other grains eventually.

Christine

15 year old twins with celiac, diagnosed dec. 2005

11 year old daughter with celiac diagnosed dec 2005

17 year old son with celiac gene

Chrissy, Is the rice flour fine enough to use for most baking? Do you grind brown rice? I like the whole grain feel, so a little "gritty" would be fine. I used to grind my own spelt flour and would love to get a new grinder and start doing that again. I'm sad that my old grinder is now useless for me - it was an older brand (can't remember off-hand) and worked wonderfully.

Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

I use my Vita Mix. I have the separate grinding container. I ground whole wheat in it before I found out I was a celiac... :lol: It did come out great. I recommed to keep the grain in the freezer because when you grind it, the VitaMix creates friction heat and it will make the flour hot, and can cause rancidity in the grain oils...(very carcinogenic)

HLA-DQ 3,1 (Subtype 8,6)

Antigliadin IgA 72

Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 49

I've used my cuisinart for softer grains like millet, nuts for nut flours and safe oats for oat flour. I don't think I'll try brown rice with it though.

Gail

Gluten Free since Jan. 06

Gluten intolerant. DQ 0301 DQ 0602

Lactose intolerant.

liz---it grinds it just about like the stuff i used to buy. i cannot grind it super-fine like you can get at an asian market, though. i haven't ground any brown rice, yet, but i intend to.

Christine

That's why I like a machine that multi tasks. The VitaMix makes whole juice, sauces, hot soup, chops, sorbets and "ice cream", the worlds best smoothies and drinks, plus you can grind flours, make bread, and nut butters.. For the price it's wonderful for people who are into natural, healthy eating like me.

A grinding machine is very expensive probably the same price as a VitaMix but it only grinds grains and that's it. If you plan to do a large amount of grain grinding than it would be worth it.

HLA-DQ 3,1 (Subtype 8,6)

Antigliadin IgA 72

Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 49

i have an older model vita-mix. i'll bet i could grind my oats into flour with it----my blender just isn't cutting it. i go through enough flour with the size of my family that my grinder should pay for itself.

Christine