This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Does This Ever Happen To Seasoned Gluten-free People?

spunky

spunky Contributor

Well I'm rounding out the first full gluten free year, and was so happy about how great I've been feeling...then a few nights ago I felt the old gluten gas bombs starting to position themselves and getting ready to deploy. I dismissed the possibilbity and tried to just ignore it, because I have been extremely careful and I have not touched anything at all that could possibly have had gluten.

Then, bam! Today I am in horrible shape...the bombs exploded, the volcano erupted, and I'm just a horrible mess. I've had to stay home all day and feel awful.

It's not the flu, it's too much like the old gluten feelings. But I know I didn't touch gluten...I eat at home, and everything from scratch. I'm looking at one year gluten free in about a month, and cannot figure out what went wrong, or how long I'm gonna feel this terrible.

Can anyone make me feel any better???? Does this ever happen...just symptoms out of the blue?

And, will it go away again?????

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

emcmaster Collaborator

Is your entire household gluten-free? Is there any risk of cc from the ingredients you used? Those would be my guesses.

cmom Contributor

Yes, this happens to me. It seems like about every 10 weeks or so. I will feel bad and have to make many trips to the bathroom and my husband will say, "What did you eat today?" I usually have no idea what caused it. :blink:

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I have days like that. Sometimes I forget that there may be days I get sick just like everyone else. Sometimes I notice that I feel sick if I have a lot of stress at work too.

spunky Contributor

Thanks.

My entire household is gluten free: it's just myself and husband, and he just eats gluten away from home now.

It's driving me crazy trying to figure out what could've happened.

Always makes me feel better to know I'm not the only one, at least.

happygirl Collaborator

Spunky,

I'm sorry to hear you are having "issues" ;).....and I sure hope that this passes quickly, whatever it is!

Take care,

Laura

Generic Apprentice

Yup every once in awhile, we call it the mystery glutening. Then I jokeningly say someone is trying to kill me off and is sprinkling flour in my food when I'm not looking. In fact I am currently having an issue with my gut, I feel for you.

-Laurie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

codetalker Contributor

I've learned to watch out for food combinations. Nothing to do with a celiac reaction. Just a poor choice of what is eaten with what. Early on with this diet and with so many things disallowed, I'd find myself still hungry and/or unsatisfied after a meal. Searches of cabinets and the frig would produce odd, sometimes inadvisable additions to the original meal.

The absolutely worst for me is close to suicide: cashews and any type of fish.

I love cashews and sometimes eat a handful without even thinking. If I've had any kind of fish at the previous meal or if I have fish at the next meal, I am incapacitated for hours.

Lisa Mentor
I've learned to watch out for food combinations. Nothing to do with a celiac reaction. Just a poor choice of what is eaten with what. Early on with this diet and with so many things disallowed, I'd find myself still hungry and/or unsatisfied after a meal. Searches of cabinets and the frig would produce odd, sometimes inadvisable additions to the original meal.

The absolutely worst for me is close to suicide: cashews and any type of fish.

I love cashews and sometimes eat a handful without even thinking. If I've had any kind of fish at the previous meal or if I have fish at the next meal, I am incapacitated for hours.

Cashews and fish?

But I have always wanted to ask you about your avitar. Where were you and what were you doing? Fun or fund?

Rusla Enthusiast

It happens to me and it is usually to do with where I have been. Mostly work poisons me. I think I have cleaned all of the crumbs off the desk etc and then something gets into my food or mouth.

almostnrn Explorer

Happens here too, as a matter of fact I'm currently in a feeling not so great state. I drives me nuts when I can't figure out where or how it happened. I guess we just chalk it up to doing the best we can and enjoying those long strings of gluten free days and feeling well.

Archived