Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Canadian Karen

Okay, It's Confirmed, I Have A Sick Sense Of Humour!

I am researching my family history and was going through some newspapers on-line and found this. I know now that I have a sick sense of humour because I couldn't help but laugh at how they wrote back then! Can you imagine this article appearing in a newspaper today? LMAO!

check out this article in a Newfoundland newspaper in 1907:

"MRS. FITZPATRICK BURNED TO DEATH! Upsetting of Kerosene Lamp Sets Fire To Her Clothing! Heroic But Unsuccessful Efforts of Husband To Save Her!

Between the hours of eleven and midnight Saturday, a double tenement house on Colonial Street was partly destroyed by fire, and Mrs. Fitzpatrick, one of the inmates, burned to death. The alarm was sent in from Box 17, Colonial Street at 10.55, and the

Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy

Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism

endometriosis (at age 20)

spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.

Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs

Rhiannon 8 yrs

Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."

Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.

-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."

Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."

Unknown

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Dude- That is one gnarly story!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ph34r:

But the writing is so funny. I can't believe how descriptive they got.

Beverly

Gluten free since 2005

In the midst of winter, I found there was within me an invincible summer.

Albert Careb

36_35_6[1].gif

I also cracked me up how they called tennants "inmates" back then! LMAO!

God, I am a sick person <_<

Karen

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs

Rhiannon 8 yrs

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."

Orison Swett Marden

-- Victor Borge

Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."

Unknown

Now that journalist is a prime candidate for "Sensativity Training"....... :rolleyes:

Karen

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs

Rhiannon 8 yrs

Orison Swett Marden

-- Victor Borge

Tom Nansbury

Unknown

Very interesting, they would never print that today. Can you imagine picking up your paper and reading that. Wow!

~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

36_22_10[1].gif

Whew! They did use some odd words! But...the journalist got his message across loud and clear!

Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

I'm sorry, I have a very visual and sick mind. I laughed all the way through it and everyone at work here wanted to know what was so funny.

I love the parts about "upsetting the kerosene lamp," "one of the inmates, " and "his mind would give way." Believe it or not in some of the small country newspapers like some of the ones in this province they still write them that way.

I had some of the old girls when I was writing for one of the country news papers freak out because I did not write that way. I told them yes, I did creative writing but that was not what you do in journalism. They still wrote that way and expected that was the way it should continue. The editor and I were trying to change things. There was just too much of; "Aunt Emma Baines and Betty Sue Peters travelled cautiously up the coal train towards the metropolis of Red Deer. They did not accelerate their car over 20 kilometers because of the lack of shoulders and icy conditions. Upon reaching the bustling metropolis of Red Deer they noticed enticing signs in red and green. Giving way to temptation they stopped at the Saan Store to buy various sizes of under panties in assorted colours and then decided to partake of a delicious repast at Patty's Restaurant...blah blah blah"

Rusla

Asthma-1969

wheat/ dairy allergies, lactose/casein intolerance-1980

Multiple food, environmental allergies

allergic to all antibiotics except sulpha

Rheumitoid arthritis,Migraine headaches,TMJ- 1975

fibromyalgia-1995

egg allergy-1997

msg allergy,gall bladder surgery-1972

Skin Biopsy positive DH-Dec.1 2005, confirmed celiac disease

gluten-free totally since Nov. 28, 2005

Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism- 2005

Pernicious Anemia 1999 (still anemic on and off.)

Osteoporosis Aug. 2006

Creative people need maids.

Straight shooting journalism. LOL.

There wasn't very much entertainment in those days. Maybe that explains it.

Diagnosed by my doctor on the basis of symptoms only (May 2005). My symptoms include:

-amenorhea (all my life)

-high prolactin levels

-major bloating ("Are you pregnant?")

-swollen ankles

-possible DH: had the rash on my elbows and scalp (gone now)

-joint pain

-childhood arthritis

-all dairy allergy

-dry skin

-fat in stool sample (no connection was made at the time...I was being tested for something else...When the doctor told me of the fat I replied by saying: "I eat alot of olive oil". DUH!!!!)

-mother is allergic to wheat

-ravenous appetite: I eat for 5 people

-light coloured stool

-pass stool 7 times a day sometimes

-hemorrhoids

-get the hiccups alot (not sure if this is related)

-some reflux

I'm sure there are more that I don't recall at the moment. SIGH.

I often marvel at the way old articles and even ads were written. I'm glad someone else shares that odd fascination :lol:

Now, you'll think I'm really weird, but I find that kind of storytelling/writing comforting, in a way :blink:

Plenty wordy, though.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

God, I am a sick person <_<

But that's why we LOVE you!

This part cracked me up: "When it was practically extinguished, the body was found at the foot of the stairs, and was burnt beyond recognition. The flesh was charred and dried to a crisp, making it dangerous to handle the remains, for fear that the joints would fall apart."

THAT WAS THEIR BIGGEST FEAR? :lol::blink:

Beverly

Gluten free since 2005

Albert Careb

36_35_6[1].gif

. There was just too much of; "Aunt Emma Baines and Betty Sue Peters travelled cautiously up the coal train towards the metropolis of Red Deer. They did not accelerate their car over 20 kilometers because of the lack of shoulders and icy conditions. Upon reaching the bustling metropolis of Red Deer they noticed enticing signs in red and green. Giving way to temptation they stopped at the Saan Store to buy various sizes of under panties in assorted colours and then decided to partake of a delicious repast at Patty's Restaurant...blah blah blah"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Rusla- you kill me!

Beverly

Gluten free since 2005

Albert Careb

36_35_6[1].gif

That is an AWESOME article!! I was busting a gut! What a hoot . . . . can you imagine reading something like that today? :lol:

As for Confirmed ------- Karen, honey, we ALL knew you had a sick sense of humor. For a really, really long time. :lol::lol::lol:B)

Love you! :wub:

Lynne

Lynne

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I'll try tomorrow".

"There's not a word yet, for old friends we've just met. Part Heaven, part space, or have I found my place? You can just visit, but I plan to stay, I'm going to go back there some day." Gonzo, in the Muppet Movie

But that's why we LOVE you!

This part cracked me up: "When it was practically extinguished, the body was found at the foot of the stairs, and was burnt beyond recognition. The flesh was charred and dried to a crisp, making it dangerous to handle the remains, for fear that the joints would fall apart."

THAT WAS THEIR BIGGEST FEAR? :lol::blink:

That is TOO funny!!!!! :P

Lynne

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I'll try tomorrow".

"There's not a word yet, for old friends we've just met. Part Heaven, part space, or have I found my place? You can just visit, but I plan to stay, I'm going to go back there some day." Gonzo, in the Muppet Movie

There was just too much of; "Aunt Emma Baines and Betty Sue Peters travelled cautiously up the coal train towards the metropolis of Red Deer. They did not accelerate their car over 20 kilometers because of the lack of shoulders and icy conditions. Upon reaching the bustling metropolis of Red Deer they noticed enticing signs in red and green. Giving way to temptation they stopped at the Saan Store to buy various sizes of under panties in assorted colours and then decided to partake of a delicious repast at Patty's Restaurant...blah blah blah"

We live in kind of a "sub-city" of Louisville, and I'm not kidding you, whoever writes our "Town Newsletter" writes disgustingly close to that!!! It is the greatest source of humor and humiliation you have ever seen!!!!!

Lynne

At one point, I got confused....... Was I reading a newspaper article or an advertisement for Kentucky Fried Chicken....... :blink::ph34r:

Karen

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs

Rhiannon 8 yrs

Orison Swett Marden

-- Victor Borge

Tom Nansbury

Unknown

The body was fried up nice and crispy with forty seven different herbs and spices. They carefully removed for fear of the joints falling apart. Her husband fearing the worst, was out of his mind at losing his former inmate and wife.

Rusla

Asthma-1969

fibromyalgia-1995

egg allergy-1997

Osteoporosis Aug. 2006

:lol::lol: I'm going to email it to my daughter, who is now at the University taking journalism. Who knows, maybe she'll take it to class :lol:

Shirley

[save the Earth, It's the only planet with chocolate and wine.

It isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...

It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Gluten free since 1989

West Kootenay.... British Columbia

If she needs the link where I found it, I still have it. It was hilarious actually, it had daily accounts of how many people were arrested by the constable and put on the "blacklist" for consuming alcohol!!! I guess they had some morals (or fear of litigation) as at least they didn't name names!!!! LMAO!

Karen

Karen

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs

Rhiannon 8 yrs

Orison Swett Marden

-- Victor Borge

Tom Nansbury

Unknown

... it had daily accounts of how many people were arrested by the constable and put on the "blacklist" for consuming alcohol!!! I guess they had some morals

Karen

if consuming alcohol got your name on the list imagine how many of us would on that list.... LMAO... way too funny Karen. I needed that laugh. I obviously share that sick sense of humour.

Tanya

Canadian eh and new to all of this!

DH Diagnosed December 20, 2006

Waiting on Gatro appt. until April!

You guys are too much!!! This is my second read-through of this thread - during the first one I was laughing so hard that I was glad no-one else was home - and am still crying! :lol:

Thank you, Karen...that perked up my day tremendously. I was feeling rather down and frustrated; laughter really is the best medecine!

The body was fried up nice and crispy with forty seven different herbs and spices. They carefully removed for fear of the joints falling apart. Her husband fearing the worst, was out of his mind at losing his former inmate and wife.

Rusla: You are a scream!!! :P That's one reason why I love you!

Gluten-free since 10/05 - Positive dietary response with Doctor's validation! - Debilitating migraines, constant dizziness and lightheadedness gone; anxiety & panic attacks, depression, agoraphobia and extreme exhaustion considerably lessoned

Dairy/Casein Intolerant

Soy, Cabbage, Sugar, Peanut, Shellfish, Caffeine, Egg, Potato and Tomato allergies / intolerances

Sporadic reactions to: Poultry

Avoiding all preservatives and additives

Also Multiple Chemical/Environmental Sensitivities

Mitral Valve Prolapse

Pulmonary Embolism - 1999

Dance, when you're broken open.

Dance, if you've torn the bandage off.

Dance in the middle of fighting.

Dance in your blood.

Dance, when you are perfectly free.

RUMI

Thanks Karen, I haven't seen Tam on today, we are four hours difference, and with her in University it's hard to catch her. Hopefully she will see my email tonight though ... I'm sure she will get a real kick out of it :lol:

Shirley

[save the Earth, It's the only planet with chocolate and wine.

It isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...

It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Gluten free since 1989

West Kootenay.... British Columbia

Hmmmmm....... And what was that reference to Kentucky Fried Chicken????? :angry::lol::lol::lol:

Lynne

Hmmmmm....... And what was that reference to Kentucky Fried Chicken????? :angry::lol::lol::lol:

I KNEW you would catch onto that!!! LMAO! :lol:

Hugs.

Karen

Karen

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs

Rhiannon 8 yrs

Orison Swett Marden

-- Victor Borge

Tom Nansbury

Unknown

I'll have my inmate nice and gluten-free crispy with gluten-free fries on the side. You know in the place I am renting from my wacko landlady I feel like an inmate.

Rusla

Asthma-1969

fibromyalgia-1995

egg allergy-1997

Osteoporosis Aug. 2006