Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

just had a random thought. is it possible to get glutened by the soap used to clean dishes? what do i need to look for? please let me know. thx!

Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT

Gluten-free since June 2006

Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991

Dairy-free for good since summer 2008

Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I'm very paranoid about gluten, so I operate under the assumption that it's possible to get glutened by anything. That being said, though, I've never seen a dish soap with gluten. I use Joy, Palmolive, or Dawn, which are all verified as gluten free. But, I would think that finding gluten in dish soap would be very unlikely.

Hope this helps!

*Julie*

Gluten free since December 2004

Soy free since June 2005

Dairy free since July 2006

does anyone know if Meijers brand dish soap contains gluten?

I use Dawn. It resonably enviromentally friendly. I got an email from the company that it is gluten-free (about 1 1/2 years ago) I don't think the "regular" types like DAwn & palmolive will add an expensive wheat ingredient. I'm not going to worry about it unless they start advertising made from plants.

I think that I will switch to Dawn or Palmolive soap instead of Meijers, since I can't get anyone who seems to know whether there is gluten in the Meijers brand or not.

When I touch things, I get glutened..either my Tide, or my Dawn Passion fruit dish soap is the culprit. And it's kind of a creeper to where I start questioning myself..is it gluten or my imagination. Then I get inside my head trying to convince myself I'm not crazy.

When I touch something with gluten, its a different reaction than when I injest something with gluten..forget about it.

So, I'm trying to determine if I need to try another brand of dish soap and if so, what brand could I purchase that maybe someone has tried that's affected by touching or washing with products containing gluten..please and thank you.

PS..and please, if you are thinking of telling me that its not possible to be glutened by touching things..please..be kind? Thank you

When I touch things, I get glutened..either my Tide, or my Dawn Passion fruit dish soap is the culprit. And it's kind of a creeper to where I start questioning myself..is it gluten or my imagination. Then I get inside my head trying to convince myself I'm not crazy.

When I touch something with gluten, its a different reaction than when I injest something with gluten..forget about it.

So, I'm trying to determine if I need to try another brand of dish soap and if so, what brand could I purchase that maybe someone has tried that's affected by touching or washing with products containing gluten..please and thank you.

PS..and please, if you are thinking of telling me that its not possible to be glutened by touching things..please..be kind? Thank you

First, the last post on this thread is more than 3 years old. Any product info could have changed in that amount of time.

Gluten can't enter through your skin. Even if it did, the Celiac antibody reaction takes place in the intestines. You could have some sort of contact allergy? You can call or email companies to find out if they put gluten or wheat or whatever into a product.

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/archives/faq/what-ingredients-should-i-avoid-in-cosmetic-products

Hey MsBella - Welcome to the forum.  We all have been in your shoes.  Like "holy moly" (not my choice of words, but whatever) Every thing seems to fall apart and your world gets crazy.  My advise to you is to take things a step at a time.  Eat cleanly, with fresh fruits, veggies, un-preseasoned meats or seafood,rice or potatoes.  There is much to choose from.  Go light on dairy for the time being.  To address your post.....it would be unlikely that Dawn, Palmolive or other dishwashing products would contain gluten. And as a newly diagnosed person with Celiac, I am well aware that EVERYTHING FREAKS YOU OUT.  We have all been there, been there  done that, kinda thing.   Touching or cleaning your pots and pans will not make you sick.  But, if you have not been gluten free for a very short time, most foods will make you sensitive.  Until your intestines have time to heal and absorb food normally, most intake will be an issue.  Be careful, and in time you will see improvement.  Hope this helps. :) 

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien