Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mmaccartney

Cocoa Puffs Now Contain Wheat!

We got a new box of cocoa puffs the other day, and didn't notice until we got home that they now contain wheat! :angry::angry:

They did label the box properly acording to the new regulations. They even put a small box under the ingredients in bright blue background with white letters (in contrast with the brown/white box) that indicated that change, and caught our attention well as it started with ATTENTION ALLERGIC CONSUMERS

Be warned, always check your labels every time, even on the brands you know are OK becuase things always change!!

Michael J. MacCartney

gluten-free 2005-June-24 Dairy free 2005-July-26

gluten / casein intolerant

HLA-DQ 2,3 (Subtype 2,7)

Diagnosed Celiac 2006-April-24

Father of:

Michael II HLA-DQ 2,1 (Subtype 2,6) - Allergic to Peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, and milk

William HLA-DQ 2,1 (Subtype 2,5) - Allergy free

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Wow... I think a lot of people eat those. That is just a perfect example to check labels every time.

Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004

Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003

Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

Wow... I think a lot of people eat those. That is just a perfect example to check labels every time.

i thought cocoa puffs were always unsafe, aren't coacoa pebbles ok???

Gluten Free since April '04

My understanding is that cocoa pebbles are still safe.

As far as the cocoa puffs are concerned they were unsafe, then the formula changed and they were safe and then yet another change and they are unsfe again! :huh: Just goes to show that we need to read every label, I learned this the hard way!

Hez

I gave up hope on the Cocoa Puffs after all the changes, I just get the cocoa pebbles now.....

~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

36_22_10[1].gif

Oh man, that sucks =(

i don't know, i had to give up cocoapuffs when i went gluten free too (I gave them to the dog, it was a sad day :0).

It was because of the maltodextrin... could that be why they added the celiacs beware to their label? I know maltodextrin contains gluten, maybe it contains wheat too....

hmmm...

:unsure:

=/

Oh man, that sucks =(

i don't know, i had to give up cocoapuffs when i went gluten free too (I gave them to the dog, it was a sad day :0).

It was because of the maltodextrin... could that be why they added the celiacs beware to their label? I know maltodextrin contains gluten, maybe it contains wheat too....

hmmm...

:unsure:

=/

Maltodextrin is safe. It contains no gluten or wheat.

Michelle :)

My understanding is that maltodextrin while sounding dangerous is actually gluten-free in the US. I believe they started adding wheat flour to the cereal?

Hez

Maltodextrin is safe. It is not a source of gluten.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007