This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I've Suffered Long Enough!

Guest FLbetsy

Guest FLbetsy

Well...Praise God. I've found people who sound like me. I've been living with horrible symptoms for 28 years!!! Since my early 20's (I'm 51) I've had aweful bouts of diarrhea. When I was about 24, I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. Managed on and off (mostly off) with frequent bouts (daily) of 10-15 times. With a bad flare-up 20-30. I've been medicated every which way to Suday with everything from colitis drugs, depression/anxiety meds, Barretts esophagitis meds, asthma meds...you name it, I'm Walgreen's overflow backup. I was watching TV three weeks ago and saw something from Gluten-Free Girl. My daughter asked me if I thought I was allergic to food and I immediately said "Yes, honey, I break out in fat! I'm one of the obese possible celiacs. I called my GI doc the next day and asked for the blood panels to be done after staying up all night and pouring over the internet. The symptoms were me! Diarrhea, gas, bloating, nausea, weight gain, mal-absorption, mal-nutrition, insomnia, asthma, infertility (15 years ago) dermatitis, fatigue, joint pain, migraines, numbness in my hands and arms...I think that's all - Oh, and memory problems/loss of concentration. I've been unable to work for the past 6 years. I've been hospitalized 4 times for ulcerative colitis. I've had IV feedings and then started a "soft diet" of pasta and cream of wheat!!! I might as well called Kavorkian! I was poisoning myself and didn't know it. Tomorrow, I have an appointment with my GI doc. I can't wait to see him and tell him what I've come to believe. I started eating "mostly" gluten free for two weeks and I'm almost human. Oh, I still have some symptoms and I've not been as cautious as I know I need to become and yes, I know being cautious and mostly gluten free is like being a "little bit pregnant". I intend to get really commited tomorrow. It's probably too early to have blood results yet as the lab is in CA and I'm in FL and the South don't mooove too quick like. But, I can pray that my doc is receptive. Oh, did I mention that he was arrested and charged with drug use last week. Lord, Help me!! Now, I'm glad to read about others who deal with similar things like me. I'm thankful I have a wonderful husband who loves and supports me. I'm glad to learn now, about becoming gluten free and healthy and helping our 15 year old daughter to be gluten free herself and prevent these horrible problems. I'm most glad that I was watching TV and was open to see the amazing help available to me. I thank God for making me sit and watch whatever show it was. Obviously, my prayer is being answered. Thanks for listening. It's been a long time since I've been able to takl with anyone who would truly understand.

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me...Phil 4:13

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Sillyyakdidi Apprentice
Well...Praise God. I've found people who sound like me. I've been living with horrible symptoms for 28 years!!! Since my early 20's (I'm 51) I've had aweful bouts of diarrhea. When I was about 24, I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. Managed on and off (mostly off) with frequent bouts (daily) of 10-15 times. With a bad flare-up 20-30. I've been medicated every which way to Suday with everything from colitis drugs, depression/anxiety meds, Barretts esophagitis meds, asthma meds...you name it, I'm Walgreen's overflow backup. I was watching TV three weeks ago and saw something from Gluten-Free Girl. My daughter asked me if I thought I was allergic to food and I immediately said "Yes, honey, I break out in fat! I'm one of the obese possible celiacs. I called my GI doc the next day and asked for the blood panels to be done after staying up all night and pouring over the internet. The symptoms were me! Diarrhea, gas, bloating, nausea, weight gain, mal-absorption, mal-nutrition, insomnia, asthma, infertility (15 years ago) dermatitis, fatigue, joint pain, migraines, numbness in my hands and arms...I think that's all - Oh, and memory problems/loss of concentration. I've been unable to work for the past 6 years. I've been hospitalized 4 times for ulcerative colitis. I've had IV feedings and then started a "soft diet" of pasta and cream of wheat!!! I might as well called Kavorkian! I was poisoning myself and didn't know it. Tomorrow, I have an appointment with my GI doc. I can't wait to see him and tell him what I've come to believe. I started eating "mostly" gluten free for two weeks and I'm almost human. Oh, I still have some symptoms and I've not been as cautious as I know I need to become and yes, I know being cautious and mostly gluten free is like being a "little bit pregnant". I intend to get really commited tomorrow. It's probably too early to have blood results yet as the lab is in CA and I'm in FL and the South don't mooove too quick like. But, I can pray that my doc is receptive. Oh, did I mention that he was arrested and charged with drug use last week. Lord, Help me!! Now, I'm glad to read about others who deal with similar things like me. I'm thankful I have a wonderful husband who loves and supports me. I'm glad to learn now, about becoming gluten free and healthy and helping our 15 year old daughter to be gluten free herself and prevent these horrible problems. I'm most glad that I was watching TV and was open to see the amazing help available to me. I thank God for making me sit and watch whatever show it was. Obviously, my prayer is being answered. Thanks for listening. It's been a long time since I've been able to takl with anyone who would truly understand.

Good luck tommorow, i sincerely hope your Dr. is well educated in celiac and will give you the diagnoses/help you need!! What you said about being mostly gluten free is like being a little bit pregnant made me laugh so hard you have no idea, it is good you still have a sense of humor, hang in there!

Sillyyakdidi Apprentice

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

Good luck with your bloodwork -- but the bottom line is this: if your body responds to a gluten-free diet, and you FEEL BETTER when you don't ingest gluten, then go for it! I'm starting to be VERY skeptical about bloodwork . . . . . .

jayhawkmom Enthusiast

I'm also one of those who can't kick the weight. I had a baby 16 months ago....and the weight just will not move, no matter what I'd do. Well, I found out I was gluten intolerant - and removed it from my diet and started to lose weight.

Oddly enough, I didn't stick with it 100% and so the weight loss stopped. I got *dead serious* in November, since I was so sick and tired of being "sick and tired" - and I've lost 34 lbs!!!!

I eat no gluten. I severely limit dairy, no eggs (except baked in foods) - and the weight is just falling off me. It's awesome. And, I feel like a million bucks!!

Regardless of your blood test results, if you feel better on a gluten free diet, by all means... stick with it!!! You don't need positive blood tests to eat gluten free. All you need is the desire to feel better!!!

Lots of luck to you!

Archived