This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

A Question For Those Who Use Guar Gum In Replacement Of Xantham Gum....

Guest AutumnE

Guest AutumnE

I'm making a birthday cake for my nephew and plan on using guar gum for his cake instead of xantham gum. He has celiac and has a severe corn allergy. He has grand mal seizures when ingested. How much do I use? Do I use the same amount or 1/2 the amount? I did a search and found both, one said it was equal to the amount and one said 1/2 the amount because its too rubbery if used the full amount.

Also if anyone has any cake recipes or frosting recipes with these problems it would be greatly appreciated. I was thinking on making a ganache type of frosting, enjoy life chocolate chips and milk and letting it set to thicken.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Viola 1 Rookie
I'm making a birthday cake for my nephew and plan on using guar gum for his cake instead of xantham gum. He has celiac and has a severe corn allergy. He has grand mal seizures when ingested. How much do I use? Do I use the same amount or 1/2 the amount? I did a search and found both, one said it was equal to the amount and one said 1/2 the amount because its too rubbery if used the full amount.

Also if anyone has any cake recipes or frosting recipes with these problems it would be greatly appreciated. I was thinking on making a ganache type of frosting, enjoy life chocolate chips and milk and letting it set to thicken.

Hello;

I'm not a baker, so I can't give you the amounts, but I do know that you need to be careful with the amounts of Guar gum as it is also used as a mild laxative. So ... if he gets a bit of the runs, it may be the guar gum and not a gluten problem.

Sophiekins Rookie

Guar gum can be swapped for Xanthan gum on a 1:1 ratio. . .the rubberyness is only an issue if your flour mix includes bean or corn flour. Rule of thumb is 1 and a half teaspoons of binding agent (guar gum, in your case) per cup of flour.

For a gluten-free/corn free cake, try Rebecca Riley's butter cake - double the recipe for a layer cake that is indistinguishable from non-gluten-free cake. . .mmmm.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Don't have much info on this but wanted to chime in so i can get the alerts.

I'm switching from the 'X' gum to the guar gum and pray it will agree with me more.

looking forward to more replies.

judy

Rusla Enthusiast

I use guar gum because xantham is too expensive when you can find it.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

interested in this also

thanks judy

Viola 1 Rookie
I use guar gum because xantham is too expensive when you can find it.

Yes, just about worth its weight in gold <_<

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest AutumnE

Thanks so much for the help :)

Im not sure what we are going to do for his birthday dessert its his first and he probably wont have a cake :( I made a corn free, dairy free and gluten free cake for a trial with guar gum. He had a huge grand mal seizure. He is having them from so many foods right now we are scared to try a cake. He had 5 this week. One was from carrots that had been washed free of any corn residue with baking soda, peas, potatoes, Chicken?? not sure if this was it or not as it was kosher chicken and shouldnt have any gluten or corn in it. My sister is having a hard time feeding him anything without causing a seizure.

Im going to do some sort of baked apples for a dessert since apples are the only thing he seems to tolerate that we know for sure of.

Even though I wont be using it for him right now it helps me as I cant eat corn or gluten.

She is testing him through immunolabs and doing an elimination diet to try and stop them.

Thanks again

Autumn

Viola 1 Rookie

Oh my, that's terrible! Children shouldn't have to go through this stuff. I sure hope that they find help quickly!

Guest AutumnE

Shirley, it hurts so much to see my nephew go through this. His seizures started at six months old with solid foods. They did all the testing and he had two eeg's and an mri and was put to sleep during them since he was so little. Because of no food in his body due to him being under general anesthetic rules prior to it they never showed seizure activity. So he isnt on medicine and they assume it is all related to foods. With no gluten, dairy, corn, or soy he still has them with other foods. I have epilepsy too but mine were easy to treat with just gluten and corn being removed from my diet so I know he gets this from the same genes I have.

Thanks for the well wishes :)

jukie Rookie
Guar gum can be swapped for Xanthan gum on a 1:1 ratio. . .the rubberyness is only an issue if your flour mix includes bean or corn flour. Rule of thumb is 1 and a half teaspoons of binding agent (guar gum, in your case) per cup of flour.

Sorry for jumping in late, but I may be looking to replace xanthan gum as well. So is it not recommended to use guar gum with bean flours or can the "rubberyness" be resolved by reducing the amount???

This gluten-free baking thing can be so confusing, but is sooo worth it when it works!

Mayflowers Contributor

Make a practice cake. Then you'll know for sure.

Guest AutumnE

Jukie- Im not sure hopefully this will bump it up and someone will be able to answer.

Mayflowers- It did turn out well :) but unfortunately my sister is having too many intolerances problems with him to try it just yet.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

AH THIS IS SO SAD. POOR LITTLE GUY

jUDY

Archived