This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Not Pregnant, But "lady" Issue

Yenni

Yenni Enthusiast

So I am not pregnant but it still seems this part of the board would be the place to ask this...

I have always had very painfull periods. In my teenagers it was so bad I wanted to faint. They have been regular and light.

I was on the pills for like 3 years because of this and my periods were easier after I stopped. But the last maybe 4 years (as I got really bad in my stomach and health) my periods got really long (still pretty light though) and my PMS got really crazy. I had worst possible PMS. It actually scared me it was so bad. Since I stopped with gluten during the summer my PMS has gotten better and it seems maybe the cramps are less bad, but I have had irregular spotting some months (for the last 2 years).

I think my ovulation is pretty irregular too. I bleed very lightly sometimes when I get it and it can be from day 13 to 20 in my cycle.

The last three months I have been figuring out cross contamination and also that I can't have soy and casein. Just over Christmas I realized all the Legumes give me trouble so I just stopped with them too. I am finally staring to feel better, more energy and less bad stomach days.

But now I have been having really, really light spotting for the last week. No strange odor or anything and I am not on the pill.

I went in mid December for my yearly exam and PAP and it was all normal. It was normal last year too and I had a ultrasound donelast year also and it was normal too (had a little water filled cyst that she told me was nothing to worry about, they come and go for many women I guess). I have told the woman I see about the occational spottings and she just wants me to keep track of it. Thing is I have never had it for a week like this. (I had a very stressy thing happen last weekend can stress cause this?)

I used to get Candida infections all the time. Since this summer they have stopped.

Did anyone else experience this in any way? I am thinking it might have to do with the Celiac some how.

I am worried. Hate having more stuff that is messed up. I feel my body is just one "war zone" full of crazyness..

Should I go back again even if it was less than a month ago I was checked and everything felt and looked fine?

I have had my thyriods checked last year and they were fine.

Strange thing is that I had these irregular spottings in June (I stopped with Gluten as best as I could in May) and I got my results from EnteroLab in October and properly stopped with casein and soy (I have had spottings in Nov, Dec and jan). Can it be the diet some how..?

Sorry about my some what comfused post. I probably tried to put too much of my "history" in here.

Thank you for any reply.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

SpikeMoore Apprentice

Hi There

My advice would be to re-do the ultrasound. I am wondering about endometriosis and specifically an endometrioma (ovarian cyst of endometrial tissue that can leak and cause spotting). Although with endo, periods tend to get heavier as time goes by. Also, pick up the book "taking charge of your fertility". It has excellent info on cycles even if you are not trying to get pregnant, it is just excellent information and it will help you sort things out.

Michi8 Contributor

I also suffered from horrible cramping as a teen (if I didn't take my presciption pain meds on time, I'd be unable to function), but experienced heavy, long periods that have gotten worse after having three kids. The cramping is virtually gone, but I now get horrible mood swings a week before and a week after my period. I know it's not endometriosis for me, and I'd suspect it's not for you either, because you're periods are so light. But it's still worth looking into with your doctor.

Just like SpikeMoore, I highly recommend reading Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler. Charting your cycles, basal temperatures, cervical signs and symptoms will give you and your doctor a lot of valuable information about what is going on with your body. With this chart you can keep track of your diet and see if there is a correlation with what happens during your cycle as well.

HTH! :)

Michelle

ElizabethN Apprentice

I also have had trouble with this issue. I always had terrible cramps and the worst PMS, and irregular cycles, and about 6 yeast infections a year. Because my husband and I were TTC, I started tracking my cycles shortly after I went off the pill- and the same time I stopped eating gluten. This was about 14 months ago and as time went by I noticed that things were ever so slowly going back to normal. After a full year my cycles were down to 35 days (still long!) and less cramping, less moody, and no more infections.

So I have decided that gluten had my body so messed up that even my periods weren't working right, and that as I got the gluten out of the system my body was slowly fixing itself. This may not be the most helpful reply ever but I guess I am saying that you aren't the only one! Maybe some one else would know more about if there really is a link because I just have circumstantial evidence but it seems like gluten could cause issues in this department. It may just take some time? I hope you find some answers and that your doctor will work with you to solve this! Good luck!

mn farm gal Apprentice

I spotted for over 2 years prior to going glutten free. First it started periods not regular and then for about the last year I spotted everyday. Had all kinds of test done everything was just fine. Went glutten free and about 2 months no more spotting. It may take a little more time or you may be having problems with another food intolerent.

tiffjake Enthusiast
Hi There

My advice would be to re-do the ultrasound. I am wondering about endometriosis and specifically an endometrioma (ovarian cyst of endometrial tissue that can leak and cause spotting). Although with endo, periods tend to get heavier as time goes by. Also, pick up the book "taking charge of your fertility". It has excellent info on cycles even if you are not trying to get pregnant, it is just excellent information and it will help you sort things out.

I also suggest the book "Taking Charge of Your Fertility". It was GREAT information! I have ALWAYS had really weird period schedules. My last doc wanted to do surgery to "see" what was going on, because he had no idea. (I said no). I am now seeing a Reproductive Endocrinologist. They are running LOTS of blood work, and doing all kinds of tests. My last period was 15 days!! I know something isn't right. If I were you, I would keep pushing the issue, and see different docs if you aren't happy with what they tell you. Different docs have different methods. Hope you figure something out!

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I always had painful periods and then I noticed they got less painful once gluten free. They were always very normal 5 days, 2 heavy and then tapering....Until Sept, I went on fertility shots and now my periods come every 5 weeks and the first day is heavy but the taper begins and my period lasts about 4 days, by the fifth I could use a light tampon.

I hope this isn't too gross!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Yenni Enthusiast

Thanks for your replies.

I am not sure what to do. Seems it has gotten a little less the last two days (and it was tiny, tiny from starters)...I hate doctors. I would really like to not go again. :(:P;)

I think I might wait it out a little bit more to see what happens.

Yeah, my periods have never been heavy at all. Maybe a little heavier the last couple of years but still it sounds like they are light. I don't go on bleeding all day or anything. I mostly have proper bleeding for 3 days maybe and then mostly spotting.

But this time it is in the middle of the month and for a full week.

I have had a very stressy week (emotionally). I have heard stress can cause spotting too. Hmm..

And today I had a migraine too. First since last spring. I am bummed. Probably cause by the stress too. I am tired of being a wreck.

I am gonna look for that book.

Thanks so much for your relpies (again).

Yes, it seems gluten can mess things up quite a bit. I feel all messed up from it anyways.

• 3 weeks later...
Yenni Enthusiast

Ugh, I had a 11 day long period this last month. 3 days of them with regular flow and the others light. 3 days after it stopped I am spotting again. This time more. Been for 2 days now. I have to say I am pretty scared.

I am gonna call for an appointment tomorrow. I really hope it isn't something serious. I am so tired of being sick or having something wrong with me. I feel so depressed. :(

GFBetsy Rookie

Just wanted to add another vote for the "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" book. It talks about anovulatory cycles and some of the reasons behind why our cycles can go cukoo. Sometimes women spot when they are ovulating . . . and you MIGHT be ovulating 14 days after your period started . . . I never do, but then I've never had 28 day cycles.

Reading the book and following the charting process can REALLY help you understand what is going on with your body - which can really help you when you are going to the OBGYN for unusual bleeding and stuff. I'd highly recommend it. It's fascinating!

(By the way . . . have you been on any other "systemic" birth control methods, like Depo? I know that coming off of that can be a KILLER.)

deb.h. Rookie

for years before i had babies I had 14 day long periods. No one ever did figure out what the problem was. i had PMS from hell. I also thought that I had light periods but I did have clots, mind you small but apparently if you have any clotting you have a heavy period. My body was certainly telling me a thing or two and I didn't understand one word. Ithink a lot of it back then had to do my my emotions as well. they were always in high gear. i wanted to be married to my boyfriend. got that. then I wanted babies NOW!!!! twenty years later I can see I was a kid with anxiety and didn't know it. I just couldn't understand how stressed out I was and how I handled all my emotions contributed to my problems. Yeast infections were chronic. I didn't go Gluten free until four years ago and slowly I have learned about anxiety and how my body handles it. I was having full blown Panic attacks on a daily basis by this time four and five years ago. My body wasn't going to stop until i paid attention to it and my emotions. going gluten free was a start but getting my mind and body to relax was crucial. I had The Lord to help me through this but people do all sorts of things to calm themselves down. Being sick is such a cycle of fear and anxiety it is sometimes hard to know how deep you are in it. this is just my experience and thought I would share in case it rang any bells for. My body and mind are finally calm but any stress can stir up physical symptoms. My body is definitley my barometer of my emotional and physical state.

by the way the fertility book that everyone is talking about is awesome and really gives you a sennse of what your body is doing. this is empowering in itself. i highly recommend it. Unfortunelty you will probably have to find out your own answers with a lot of research, advice from these boards which is invaluable and experiementation. Not alot of answers usually come from the doctors and it is best to go in loaded with questions and information of your own. Just my opinion but everything that was ever wrong with I figured out first.

Yenni Enthusiast
for years before i had babies I had 14 day long periods. No one ever did figure out what the problem was. i had PMS from hell. I also thought that I had light periods but I did have clots, mind you small but apparently if you have any clotting you have a heavy period. My body was certainly telling me a thing or two and I didn't understand one word. Ithink a lot of it back then had to do my my emotions as well. they were always in high gear. i wanted to be married to my boyfriend. got that. then I wanted babies NOW!!!! twenty years later I can see I was a kid with anxiety and didn't know it. I just couldn't understand how stressed out I was and how I handled all my emotions contributed to my problems. Yeast infections were chronic. I didn't go Gluten free until four years ago and slowly I have learned about anxiety and how my body handles it. I was having full blown Panic attacks on a daily basis by this time four and five years ago. My body wasn't going to stop until i paid attention to it and my emotions. going gluten free was a start but getting my mind and body to relax was crucial. I had The Lord to help me through this but people do all sorts of things to calm themselves down. Being sick is such a cycle of fear and anxiety it is sometimes hard to know how deep you are in it. this is just my experience and thought I would share in case it rang any bells for. My body and mind are finally calm but any stress can stir up physical symptoms. My body is definitley my barometer of my emotional and physical state.

by the way the fertility book that everyone is talking about is awesome and really gives you a sennse of what your body is doing. this is empowering in itself. i highly recommend it. Unfortunelty you will probably have to find out your own answers with a lot of research, advice from these boards which is invaluable and experiementation. Not alot of answers usually come from the doctors and it is best to go in loaded with questions and information of your own. Just my opinion but everything that was ever wrong with I figured out first.

Your post does ring a bell. Thanks for posting. I do have clots too, but they are always small so I thought my period was lighter. Interesting. I am starting to wonder if it could be endometriosis...

I am gonna pick up that book. I think I am not counting my period cykle the right way.

Alsp my life has been VERY HARD with a lot of stress, especially the last 2 years. I feel I am not myself right now. I worry as soon as I wake up in the morning. Sleep bad.

Thank you everyone!

• 3 weeks later...
JEM123 Newbie
Hi There

Hi,

I have a fibroid tumor that causes a lot of what you desrcibed. The external ultrasound did not show the fibroid. I insisted that something was not right and they did a internal ultrasound using a wand vaginally. The tech doing the ultrasound did it from the same machine that she was performing the external one from. It is not uncomfortable or painful and you will get better results. Good luck to you.

• 2 weeks later...
Karina Explorer

I have this problem too. I have been to the RE and to other docs. For me, I think it is just messed up hormones that I have been trying to treat herbally. I may start myself on Progesterone cream in the next couple of months if things do not respond to my current regimine. My docs have prescribed the oral Progesterone, which I am not taking. I would rather try the cream first.

The book everyone recommended is really, really good. Every woman should own a copy.

Sorry you are going through this.

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

One other thing to request is a CBC (complete blood count). You should be sure you have plenty of platelets. (Platelets are the doodads that clot your blood.) This is especially true if you have bleeding gums, bruises you don't remember getting, or little tiny red dots on the tops of your feet or where your seatbelt might hit your chest, that type of thing.

I had ITP, which is Idiopathic (we don't know why it's happening) Thrombocytopenia (not enough platelets) Purpura (bruising, or literally, purple). One way I found out I had it was from vaginal spotting.

On another note, I just went to the doc for spotting because I never have it, and I had just had a fever. It turned out I had a bleeding cervical polyp, which they removed.

Anyway, make sure your blood is alright before you have them do anything else -- giving blood is a lot easier than some of the other options.

-Sherri

Yenni Enthusiast

I had an ultrasound done this week. I have a fibroid in the uterus wall (hence the painful cramps) and also lots of egg cysts that my hormones does not make let go of the ovary (hence the spotting). I guess the lack of the proper amount of hormones also makes the lining not "bleed out" properly so I have gotten more period amount over time because of that.

They put me on birth control pills. I told them I couldn't have gluten, casein or soy and I got Yasmin BCP. I have felt nasty in my stomach on the first two that I took. Recognized the symptoms from before I got better from the Celiac so I checked this evening and they have Lactose monohydrate NF in them. I asume that is dairy. I am so mad!!!!!!!

I have had a period for 3 weeks now because of stinking doctors telling me to eat BCP's then go off them and now give me one that makes me sick. I don't wanna take one tonight...I just don't know what to do.

(I was sick with the flu and sinus infection about 3 weeks ago and my doctor checked my blood for a bunch of stuff and everything was normal.)

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

Interesting stuff from the web. the basic gyst is that estrogen dominance causes these fibroids (both breast and uterine). The last thing you want to do in response to them is increase your estrogen intake. If the fibroids are small, increasing progesterone can help; if they are big, the progesterone will also contribute to their growth.

I would say that you should ask yourself what estrogen-like foods you're eating as well - like SOY, which is highly estrogenic. I don't know if you eat soy or now. Estrogenic foods list here: Open Original Shared Link

The article also says vitamins B6(and all the b's), Vitamin E, and Magneseum will help. B-s and E's are supposed to help with heavy bleeding, cramps, and PMS.

Anyway, good luck to you. I assume they've tested your hormones? They are special tests, and quite expensive (at least for testosterone), so you would've known had they tested for them.

ARTICLE at Open Original Shared Link

Get Rid of Uterine Fibroid Tumors( Myomas )!

NO Surgery!

Dr. Lee Treats Uterine Fibroid Tumors ( Myomas ) Successfully

WITHOUT SURGERY

Dr. Lee further writes in his book "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Menopause" :

"Otherwise known as myoma of the uterus, uterine fibroid tumors ( myomas ) are the most common growth of the female genital tract. They are round, firm, benign (i.e. noncancerous) lumps of the muscular wall of the uterus, composed of smooth muscle and connective tissue, and are rarely solitary. Usually as small as a hen's egg, they commonly grow gradually to the size of an orange or grapefruit. The largest uterine fibroid tumor ( myoma ) on record weighed over 100 pounds. They often cause or are coincidental with heavier periods, irregular bleeding, and/or painful periods.

Uterine fibroid tumors ( myomas ) are also one of the most common reasons that women in coffee exacerbates uterine fibroid tumor ( myoma )their thirties and forties have a hysterectomy. Some particularly skillful surgeons are capable of removing only the uterine fibroid tumor ( myoma ), leaving the uterus intact, but they are the exception.

Uterine fibroid tumors ( myomas ), like breast fibrocysts, are a product of estrogen dominance (too much estrogen). Estrogen stimulates their growth, and lack of estrogen causes them to atrophy. Estrogen dominance is a much greater problem than recognized by contemporary medicine. Many women in their mid thirties begin to have anovulatory (nonovulating) cycles. As they approach the decade before menopause, they are producing much less progesterone than expected, but still producing normal (or more) estrogen. They retain water and salt, their breast swell and become fibrocystic, they gain weight (especially around the hips and torso), they become depressed and lose sex drive, their bone suffer mineral loss, and they develop fibroids. All are signs of estrogen dominance.

When sufficient hormone is replaced, uterine fibroid tumors ( myomas ) no longer grow in size (they generally decrease in size) and can be kept from growing until menopause, after which they will atrophy. This is the effect of reversing estrogen dominance."

"Fibroids (benign tumors that grow in the uterus) are the most common reason that women visit a gynecologist in the ten or so years before menopause. Fibroids tend to grow during the years before menopause and then atrophy after menopause. This suggests that estrogen stimulates fibroid growth, but we also know that once they get larger, progesterone too can contribute to their growth. Many doctors prescribe Lupron injections to block all sex hormone production. This causes fibroids to shrink, but they regrow when the injections are stopped. The anti-progesterone drug RU-486 is also used to reduce the size of larger fibroids. Women with fibroids are often estrogen dominant and have low progesterone levels. In women with smaller fibroids (the size of a tangerine or smaller), when progesterone is restored to normal levels, the fibroids often stop growing and shrink a bit, which is likely due to progesterone's ability to help speed up the clearance of estrogens from tissue. If this treatment can be continued through menopause, hysterectomy can be avoided.

However, some fibroids, when they reach a certain "critical mass," are accompanied by degeneration or cell death in the interior part of the fibroid, and will have interaction with white blood cells that ends up with the creation of more estrogen within the fibroid itself. It also contains growth factors that are stimulated by progesterone. Under these circumstances, surgical removal of the fibroid (myomectomy) or the uterus (hysterectomy) may become necessary. When you think of treating smaller fibroids, your should be thinking in terms of keeping your estrogen milieu as low as possible; when treating large fibroids, all hormones should be kept as low as possible.

The last thing you want to do if you have fibroids is take estrogen, which will stimulate them to grow. If you're estrogen dominant, then it's important to use supplemental progesterone , usually in doses of 20 mg per day during the luteal phase of the cycle. Sometimes this approach works to slow or stop the fibroid growth, and sometimes it doesn't. It is worth a try. Reducing stress, increasing exercise, and reducing calories are also good strategies for slowing fibroid growth.

There are a number of techniques for removing fibroids without removing the uterus. If your doctor doesn't know about these, find another one who does! The difference in recovery time alone between laparoscopic removal of fibroids ( for example) and hysterectomy is three weeks versus three months.

Ultrasound tests can be obtained initially and after three months to check results. A good result would show that the fibroid size hadn't increased, or had decreased by 10 to 15 percent. With post menopausal hormone levels, fibroids usually atrophy (and not taking prescription estrogen)."

Yenni Enthusiast

I am not going on the pills for the fibroid really. It is because my body does create the eggs, but isn't letting go of them, so I have a bunch collected in there. She said it is the estrogen that is low aparently.

I hear so many things from everywhere on what to do so I am all confused on what to do. I do feel I should get on the pill for a while to hopefully get back on track once I stopp with them. Hopefully it will not be for long.

I have tried vitamins, minerals and Omega to help with the cramps, nothing ever helped.

I am intolerant to all legumes so I am not eating Soy at all.

Archived