Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jayhawkmom

My Oldest Son's Results In....

Blood tests for my oldest child are positive. I'm not even going to bother with endoscopy and biopsy for him, since everyone else in my household is already gluten-free. I feel sad for him, but - I am also *slightly* relieved, as this will make my life so much easier if we are ALL gluten free.

tTg (<3) = 5

AG IgG AB's = (<11) = 13

AG IgA AB's = (<11) = 37

Anyone wanna convince me these are really negative??

Jayhawkmom -

Mom of three....

Jay - 11

Bean - 8

Ian - 3

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

tTg (<3) = 5

AG IgG AB's = (<11) = 13

AG IgA AB's = (<11) = 37

Anyone wanna convince me these are really negative??

Nope, that would be impossible. At least you now know what is wrong, and keep up the gluten-free diet.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yea... bittersweet for sure. I was hoping for a negative, on one hand.... just so he would not have to deal with this his entire life.

However, on the other hand... I was hoping we'd have some answers to the stomach problems and the attitude changes. So, I'm both sad and relieved at the same time - if that makes any sense.

FWIW - I was really surprised by the AG IgA AB's - seriously!!

(I will add...the doctor who ran the tests is out of town until the end of the month, his NP reviewed the results and the secretary called to give me the results. She said, "These results look normal to the NP, but if that isn't accurate, he'll give you a call once he returns from his trip." Let me just say... it's a darn good thing I know how to interpret the tests, and know better than to continue feeding him gluten!!!! ) Normal? Really??

Jayhawkmom -

Mom of three....

Jay - 11

Bean - 8

Ian - 3

Is there any other reason than Celiac for a slighty elevated tTG. I have an 8 year old boy who just came back with a slightly elevated tTG and I've seen some numbers here that are through the roof, into the 100's. I know all tests are different and thank goodness it looks like both boys(yours and mine) were caught early. Sadly, my son's tTG was slightly elevated after being gluten free for 3 months. We don't know how high it initially was. Does anyone else in your family have Celiac? We are now doing a gluten challenge to prepare for the biopsy. 11 days down and about 30 to go. It hasn't been that bad yet. The only weird thing is I will go from stuffing him with bagels to not sharing the same toaster. It's just bizarre. Good luck to you.

Is there any other reason than Celiac for a slighty elevated tTG.

Thank you for the well wishes.

I don't think that anything other than Celiac causes an elevated tTg. I sure could be wrong, and hopefully someone else will correct that, if I am. But, I do think that any elevated outside of the normal range is positive, even if it's just by a couple.

My other two children are gluten free.... my 5 year old had (highly) elevated IgG levels, and damage consistent with Celiac in her intestines.... yet, no villi damage. So, she doesn't have a definitive diagnosis. Same thing with me.... questionable blood, questionable biopsy. This is the first child to test positive on the blood test. Oddly enough, he'd already been tested two previous times.... at ages 2 and 4. Both negative.

I have more I want to say....but the baby is demanding to be fed, LOL!!! BBL!

Jayhawkmom -

Mom of three....

Jay - 11

Bean - 8

Ian - 3

I feel you! With DD I half wanted it to be negative and half wanted it to be positive just so we would know! I'm sometimes sad for her and the things she will never get to have, but now that she's healthy I can't really argue that I wish that hadn't happened!

Mom to 3 girls

DD1-diagnosed by allergist 10/2006

DD4 & DD9-diagnosed by Mom 01/2007

I'm sorry, but at least you found out while he's still young and his habits aren't set in stone!

Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy

We'll all float on, alright

Well we'll float on good news is on the way...