This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ate Gluten--by Accident

rat toe

rat toe Rookie

Hi--I've had celiac disease for about 1 1/2 years now and today I accidently took a bite out of a "gluten filled" scone thinking that is was a gluten free one. Once I realized it, I spat out as much as I could, but I know I still ingested some. I've had one or two mess ups before, but for some reason I got really mad at myself for this one. I'm asymptomatic, but I'm just so frustrated becuase I've been doing really well sticking to the diet. I was just wondering if this has ever happened to anybody else and how you cope with the feeling that you made a big mistake.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Viola 1 Rookie
Hi--I've had celiac disease for about 1 1/2 years now and today I accidently took a bite out of a "gluten filled" scone thinking that is was a gluten free one. Once I realized it, I spat out as much as I could, but I know I still ingested some. I've had one or two mess ups before, but for some reason I got really mad at myself for this one. I'm asymptomatic, but I'm just so frustrated becuase I've been doing really well sticking to the diet. I was just wondering if this has ever happened to anybody else and how you cope with the feeling that you made a big mistake.

It must be very difficult knowing that you have been contaminated when you are asymtomatic. The only way to cope actually is to remember where the mistake was, move on and try not to make it again.

Unfotunately mistakes are bound to happen ... or should I say contamination problems. A lot of time it isn't our mistake so much as not being aware of cross contamination.

You can only do your best to keep gluten out of your system. When you get caught with it, remember where it came from. We learn more from our mistakes than anything else <_<

plantime Contributor

Yes, I've done that. I wasn't so much angry at myself as I was disappointed in myself. It took a lot of positive self-talk to get myself out of the funk I fell into last time it happened. I think the way I talk to myself does more damage than the accidental glutening!

elonwy Enthusiast

Thats a hard one. I have been brought to tears because I grabbed a can of tomato sauce that wasn't gluten-free and didn't read the label before dumping it into the pot of food I was making. I didn't eat it, but it felt like I'd been smacked with a hammer once I realized what I'd done.

For me its just a matter of setting my resolve and moving on, and not letting it get to me. I let myself have the occasional tantrum for sanities sake, but I have them less and less.

I guess that doesn't really help much :)

Elonwy

Viola 1 Rookie
Thats a hard one. I have been brought to tears because I grabbed a can of tomato sauce that wasn't gluten-free and didn't read the label before dumping it into the pot of food I was making. I didn't eat it, but it felt like I'd been smacked with a hammer once I realized what I'd done.

For me its just a matter of setting my resolve and moving on, and not letting it get to me. I let myself have the occasional tantrum for sanities sake, but I have them less and less.

I guess that doesn't really help much :)

Elonwy

Hi Elonwy ... good to see you!

I think the occasional tantrum is good for everyone! As long as we don't take it out on someone else :rolleyes:

SchnauzerMom Rookie

I have been trying to learn from my mistakes. To try and pay attention to what I'm eating and avoid it in the future. I still get mad at myself occasionally. :(

Generic Apprentice

I finally convinced my mom to go gluten free. She still has mis-haps. The other week she ate half a croisant before she realized what she was doing. Needless to say she is still paying the price a week later.

She is at least now convinced she has a minimum of gluten intolerance if not full blown celiac. She wouldn't consider it before since my dad's side of the family has it. Well surprise! Her dad's cousin has it too. She was diagnosed after getting stomach cancer. She survived it, luckily.

Don't beat yourself up, just try and learn from the mishaps. It will get easier with time, I promise.

-Laurie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived