Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are their brands or lines that are gluten free? I can't seem to find anyone who will commit to spices being gluten free?

I'm assuming I need to dump all my current spices (I have used a couple of them recently, and I don't think I'm reacting to them, but I'd prefer to be safe than sorry).

Even Whole Foods doesn't list ANY of their spices on their gluten free list, and it does have the "good manufacturing process" statement on them. Do I trust that???

THANKS!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

McCormick will clearly list any gluten so with them all you do is read the ingredients. If there are no ingredients, that means the only thing in there is the listed spice or herb. I think Frontier has a gluten-free list. I know there are others.

Based on my experience and posts over 5 years, pure spices are pretty much without exception gluten-free. The old thing about companies using flour to prevent clumping is simply a celiac myth. Spice mixes, particularly ones made as a rub or a marinade, can have wheat (I've never seen barley, rye or oats), but in those cases you'll usually find the wheat listed. Call if you really aren't sure about a mix.

richard

From my experience, McCormick is a great company about listing very clearly (in their seasoning mixes, like for tacos, enchiladas, etc) gluten ingredients. When I have had questions, they were very helpful on the phone. I used them a lot before being diagnosed, and use them all the time now.

McCormick will clearly list any gluten so with them all you do is read the ingredients. If there are no ingredients, that means the only thing in there is the listed spice or herb. I think Frontier has a gluten-free list. I know there are others.

Based on my experience and posts over 5 years, pure spices are pretty much without exception gluten-free. The old thing about companies using flour to prevent clumping is simply a celiac myth. Spice mixes, particularly ones made as a rub or a marinade, can have wheat (I've never seen barley, rye or oats), but in those cases you'll usually find the wheat listed. Call if you really aren't sure about a mix.

richard

I called Frontier in about July, and they said that all of their spices had 'no added gluten' but it was in the same facility, on the same lines, and they do not test in between.

I was fine, and then I bought one (it might have been a fluke) and got quite sick (it was definitely the spice, I re-tested it on myself to make sure that is what it was). Anyway - just a heads up, it's your own descretion, but I've stopped using those, personally.

Gluten-free, Vegan

I use McCormick and Club House. Both companies have warned that the risk of cross contamination is greater with larger containers. So I recommend buying smaller containers.

Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004

Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003

Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

I also generally do not worry about pure spices. My preferred brand, just for flavor is Spice Hunter.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

I use McCormick and Club House. Both companies have warned that the risk of cross contamination is greater with larger containers. So I recommend buying smaller containers.

Ditto, I also use McCormick and Club House.

Shirley

[save the Earth, It's the only planet with chocolate and wine.

It isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...

It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Gluten free since 1989

West Kootenay.... British Columbia

We like to use Spice Trends (we live in WI) that, I believe, is made by McCormick. We haven't found any yet that have gluten. Hope this helps!

Kelly

Hubby diagnosed 4/06 by scope/biopsy.