Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lonewolf

Another Snow Day!

This is crazy for Western Washington. We can go for years, literally, without seeing as much as a flake. Now, I LOVE the snow, but missing all this school is getting old. We got 6 inches last Wednesday, so school was closed Thursday, it was down into the teens Thurs. night and they closed school on Friday too. (Don't laugh all you people who live in places where it usually snows all winter, no one here knows how to deal with it and school gets closed for less than an inch.) We had Monday off already. It's been snowing since 4 or 5 am, there's only about 3/4 inch and school is closed again! I would have been happy with 2 hours late, especially since it's supposed to warm up to high 30's before noon. Arrgghh...

I'm a teacher, so it's not like I just don't want my kids home anymore. We've used our school's built in snow days and we'll make it up later - most other schools, public and private will be going longer than we will, so I should be thankful that we had those days built in to our calendar.

Oh well, looks like we'll be getting the Yankee Clippers out again...

Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

There was one winter when I was young we missed so much school we went right up to the end of June. We once did not go all week due to ongoing snow. I was in 6th grade. I want to say it was the winter of 94'

But I am jealous you are getting snow, it will get winter cold here and then 50 the next day...too strange :)

~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

36_22_10[1].gif

Hi Lonewolf,

I don't remember where you are, but in Seattle the roads are really really slick, as are the sidewalks.

"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"

- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

Hi Lonewolf,

I don't remember where you are, but in Seattle the roads are really really slick, as are the sidewalks.

I'm in Federal Way. A lot of roads are still slick here, but we've been getting around pretty well - just driving slowly on the side streets.

Three of my kids are sleeping in and I'm just starting to make a brunch of waffles and sausage. It is beautiful to look at out the window! We'll be outside playing soon, I'm sure. I think I'm going to take a picture of my house for next year's Christmas cards.

Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

where I live and where I work (east side and Kent) are both sheets of ice. it's not the snow, it's the ice. even cables on the car don't always get traction on our inch thick sheet of ice outside our house. and the fact that - at least east side - is all hills. if it were flat, it wouldn't be as much of a problem, but when *everything* is a hill, and unplowed in many places... sigh.

trying to make up this much time at work is *hard*. how do we cram an extra 16 hours of work into four days? :blink:

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

We got 6 inches last Wednesday, so school was closed Thursday, it was down into the teens Thurs. night and they closed school on Friday too. (Don't laugh all you people who live in places where it usually snows all winter, no one here knows how to deal with it and school gets closed for less than an inch.) We had Monday off already. It's been snowing since 4 or 5 am, there's only about 3/4 inch and school is closed again! I would have been happy with 2 hours late, especially since it's supposed to warm up to high 30's before noon. Arrgghh...

Trying very hard not to laugh! :lol: (oops- was that out loud?) I lived in Southern Ontario from K-grade 3 and never had a snow day. 1/2 of grade four in Grande Cache, Alberta (pretty much on top of a mountain) and at Hallowe'en had 2 feet of snow the year I was there, but we never missed school. Then I lived on Vancouver Island where we should have had rain days, but didn't. My kids have had their whole school careers in Calgary, and they've never had a snow day either. We haven't had much snow this year, but we had a week in November when it was -40c with the windchill and 3 or 4 days earlier this month when it was close to -30c windchills.

My sister who lives in Windsor, Ontario (south of Detroit, still trying to wrap my head around that :huh: ) says all a snow day there means is the school busses aren't running, but school isn't cancelled. You still have to get there, just that the bus won't get you there.

Here's hoping for sun and melting snow so you can get back to school.

Linda, Mom to Ty (11 years old)

Ty was diagnosed by blood test June 7/05

biopsy Aug 11/05, diagnosis confirmed Aug 18/05

Mom, Dad and big brother Celiac-free.

Hey!!!

Umm, our snow is slipperyer

Yea! Thats it!

"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"

- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

Hey!!!

Umm, our snow is slipperyer

Yea! Thats it!

:lol::lol:

It is funny ... we never had a snow day here either. However I have lived on the North Coast ... Just south of Alaska ... and on the coast that slushy mess is slipperyer ... hmmmmm, is that a word? :lol:

Shirley

[save the Earth, It's the only planet with chocolate and wine.

It isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...

It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Gluten free since 1989

West Kootenay.... British Columbia

We normally get snow by Thanksgiving, but we have yet to get a real snow this winter. It's so odd. Normally we have at least one decent snow with a foot. We haven't had any. I'm so jealous.

~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

Vancouver/Portland is all hit with snow and the schools are closed here...NO work today!!! When I lived in Colorado, things wouldn't shut down until there was over 3ft of snow. The only bad thing is that Comcast cable is down. snow ball fight!

We've probably got about 4 inches today. It just stopped snowing, although we have another small band of precip that might hit us.

Since I homeschool, I don't keep up with whether school is open or not. Hubby has to go to work no matter what so he's out manuevering around in this (he's a truck driver, local).

We are north of Vancouver about 1/2 hour.

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

We are north of Vancouver about 1/2 hour.

I LOVE that area of the country!! :)

Negative biopsy for celiac 1980

Fibromyalgia 1980

IBS 1980

Interstitial Cystitis 1992

Systemic yeast

Diagnosed w/ Chronic Lyme Disease 2000

Diagnosed w/ Chronic babesia 2000

Tachycardia 2001

Asthma 2005

Have had Lyme and babesia for

about 48 yrs.

Began gluten-free July 19 '06

Native TEXAN living in Missouri

My area finally got snow....only a coating but still snow!!!! Winter has arrived!!!! This is exciting, it was 60-70 the first few weeks of winter and in PA that is odd!!!

~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

36_22_10[1].gif