This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Another Snow Day!

lonewolf

lonewolf Collaborator

This is crazy for Western Washington. We can go for years, literally, without seeing as much as a flake. Now, I LOVE the snow, but missing all this school is getting old. We got 6 inches last Wednesday, so school was closed Thursday, it was down into the teens Thurs. night and they closed school on Friday too. (Don't laugh all you people who live in places where it usually snows all winter, no one here knows how to deal with it and school gets closed for less than an inch.) We had Monday off already. It's been snowing since 4 or 5 am, there's only about 3/4 inch and school is closed again! I would have been happy with 2 hours late, especially since it's supposed to warm up to high 30's before noon. Arrgghh...

I'm a teacher, so it's not like I just don't want my kids home anymore. We've used our school's built in snow days and we'll make it up later - most other schools, public and private will be going longer than we will, so I should be thankful that we had those days built in to our calendar.

Oh well, looks like we'll be getting the Yankee Clippers out again...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

There was one winter when I was young we missed so much school we went right up to the end of June. We once did not go all week due to ongoing snow. I was in 6th grade. I want to say it was the winter of 94'

But I am jealous you are getting snow, it will get winter cold here and then 50 the next day...too strange :)

Jestgar Rising Star

Hi Lonewolf,

I don't remember where you are, but in Seattle the roads are really really slick, as are the sidewalks.

lonewolf Collaborator
Hi Lonewolf,

I don't remember where you are, but in Seattle the roads are really really slick, as are the sidewalks.

I'm in Federal Way. A lot of roads are still slick here, but we've been getting around pretty well - just driving slowly on the side streets.

Three of my kids are sleeping in and I'm just starting to make a brunch of waffles and sausage. It is beautiful to look at out the window! We'll be outside playing soon, I'm sure. I think I'm going to take a picture of my house for next year's Christmas cards.

tarnalberry Community Regular

where I live and where I work (east side and Kent) are both sheets of ice. it's not the snow, it's the ice. even cables on the car don't always get traction on our inch thick sheet of ice outside our house. and the fact that - at least east side - is all hills. if it were flat, it wouldn't be as much of a problem, but when *everything* is a hill, and unplowed in many places... sigh.

trying to make up this much time at work is *hard*. how do we cram an extra 16 hours of work into four days? :blink:

2Boys4Me Enthusiast
We got 6 inches last Wednesday, so school was closed Thursday, it was down into the teens Thurs. night and they closed school on Friday too. (Don't laugh all you people who live in places where it usually snows all winter, no one here knows how to deal with it and school gets closed for less than an inch.) We had Monday off already. It's been snowing since 4 or 5 am, there's only about 3/4 inch and school is closed again! I would have been happy with 2 hours late, especially since it's supposed to warm up to high 30's before noon. Arrgghh...

Trying very hard not to laugh! :lol: (oops- was that out loud?) I lived in Southern Ontario from K-grade 3 and never had a snow day. 1/2 of grade four in Grande Cache, Alberta (pretty much on top of a mountain) and at Hallowe'en had 2 feet of snow the year I was there, but we never missed school. Then I lived on Vancouver Island where we should have had rain days, but didn't. My kids have had their whole school careers in Calgary, and they've never had a snow day either. We haven't had much snow this year, but we had a week in November when it was -40c with the windchill and 3 or 4 days earlier this month when it was close to -30c windchills.

My sister who lives in Windsor, Ontario (south of Detroit, still trying to wrap my head around that :huh: ) says all a snow day there means is the school busses aren't running, but school isn't cancelled. You still have to get there, just that the bus won't get you there.

Here's hoping for sun and melting snow so you can get back to school.

Jestgar Rising Star

Hey!!!

Umm, our snow is slipperyer

Yea! Thats it!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Viola 1 Rookie
Hey!!!

Umm, our snow is slipperyer

Yea! Thats it!

:lol::lol:

It is funny ... we never had a snow day here either. However I have lived on the North Coast ... Just south of Alaska ... and on the coast that slushy mess is slipperyer ... hmmmmm, is that a word? :lol:

Guhlia Rising Star

We normally get snow by Thanksgiving, but we have yet to get a real snow this winter. It's so odd. Normally we have at least one decent snow with a foot. We haven't had any. I'm so jealous.

Aizlynn Rookie

Vancouver/Portland is all hit with snow and the schools are closed here...NO work today!!! When I lived in Colorado, things wouldn't shut down until there was over 3ft of snow. The only bad thing is that Comcast cable is down. snow ball fight!

AndreaB Contributor

We've probably got about 4 inches today. It just stopped snowing, although we have another small band of precip that might hit us.

Since I homeschool, I don't keep up with whether school is open or not. Hubby has to go to work no matter what so he's out manuevering around in this (he's a truck driver, local).

We are north of Vancouver about 1/2 hour.

Lymetoo Contributor
We are north of Vancouver about 1/2 hour.

I LOVE that area of the country!! :)

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

My area finally got snow....only a coating but still snow!!!! Winter has arrived!!!! This is exciting, it was 60-70 the first few weeks of winter and in PA that is odd!!!

Archived