Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Blue

Does Anyone Know Where To Find G-f Veal?

Hi, all. I've recently started buying my meats from U.S. Wellness after re-confirming that they're gluten-free but have been left with one problem. U.S. Wellness sells beef, pork, chicken, etc but doesn't seem to carry any veal. Does anyone know anyplace on the web that carries gluten-free veal? I'm part italian and have been missing my veal parm :D Thanks :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi, all. I've recently started buying my meats from U.S. Wellness after re-confirming that they're gluten-free but have been left with one problem. U.S. Wellness sells beef, pork, chicken, etc but doesn't seem to carry any veal. Does anyone know anyplace on the web that carries gluten-free veal? I'm part italian and have been missing my veal parm :D Thanks :D

Veal is meat from baby cows. Beef.

Jessica

Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!

Kansas

Veal is meat from baby cows. Beef.

Hehe, I almost forgot that :lol: but unfortunately U.S. Wellness' search isn't coming up with any hits for veal at all :(

Oh, to add for other meatlovers, Roche Brothers Supermarket confirmed for me that all Applegate Farms meats are gluten-free and Stop & Shop that all thier Nature's Promise meats and Deli-meats are gluten-free as well.

Unfortunately, they don't carry gluten-free Veal in either store :(

Are there any raw meats that aren't gluten-free?

Sorry - I'm probably just missing the point.

Actually, I've had incidents in the past based on contaminated meats. As I had it explained to me what an animal eats could just be as dangerous as it could be to the person who eats it. Some chickens are raised on grains containing gluten, some pigs, some cows, etc it could easily carry over to the person eatting it.

Another problem is cross-contamination due to deli-cutters, meat-grinders, etc.

Then we can get into fillers and such in hot dogs, nitrates and nitrites in bacon, there are alot of potential problems. Before U.S. Wellness I couldn't eat a burger without getting glutenned now I can't get enough of them :D

In good news alot of supermarkets have realized it's a problem and are training thier meatcutters and handlers how to deal with it. In Massachusetts, where I am, Stop & Shop, Hannaford/Shop N' Save, Roche Bros and Shaws are trying to make thier stores customer-friendly to those with gluten-problems and other food allergies.

Actually, I've had incidents in the past based on contaminated meats. As I had it explained to me what an animal eats could just be as dangerous as it could be to the person who eats it. Some chickens are raised on grains containing gluten, some pigs, some cows, etc it could easily carry over to the person eatting it.

This is a celiac urban legend. The gluten protein will not show up in the muscle tissue of the animal eating a gluten-containing food product. It gets metabolised first.

Another problem is cross-contamination due to deli-cutters, meat-grinders, etc.
If you are buying sliced deli veal or ground veal, that could be an issue, and would require discussion with the butcher.

Then we can get into fillers and such in hot dogs, nitrates and nitrites in bacon, there are alot of potential problems. Before U.S. Wellness I couldn't eat a burger without getting glutenned now I can't get enough of them :D

Again, not an issue with veal cuts, but any meat has to be labeled if it has grain added to it - this is a USDA law, not the food allergen law, and it's been around for a while. It's unique to meats.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

This is a celiac urban legend. The gluten protein will not show up in the muscle tissue of the animal eating a gluten-containing food product. It gets metabolised first.

Are you sure on this Tiffany? Not saying I doubt you, just that the butchers at Roche Bros, Market Basket, Stop & Shop and U.S. Wellness all told me oherwise. I know what they say clearly matches up with my attacks. They even told me specifically which cuts of thier meats were safe and not.

I agree it's a legend.

An animal science researcher and a large animal vet researcher at the college where I work have told me not to be concerned. Plus, most every person with celiac I know eats meat without checking the source of feed and does fine. And finally, this is not something that any celiac expert or organization tells us to watch for. The gluten protein simply cannot make it into the muscle of the animal.

That said, you should continue buying whatever you feel comfortable with.

Also, although it seems that hot dogs would be a suspect product, the only hot dog I've ever found with gluten is Nathan's, and in that case the wheat is clearly listed.

richard

As richard and sophie said, it's not a concern. In order to get into the muscle, proteins are formed through metabolism of the foodstuffs digested, and they are not necessarily the same proteins eaten - they are merely made up of the same amino acids that all proteins are made of. It's something put on the outside of the meat you need to be concerned about.

On of our other posters noted that he was having similar problems, and finally tracked down that it was an electric knife that had been contaminated that he had been using to cut slabs of meat he had purchased. Contaminated grills, utensils, facilities for storage, and so on can also be an issue, but cow muscle does not have wheat protein.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

As richard and sophie said, it's not a concern. In order to get into the muscle, proteins are formed through metabolism of the foodstuffs digested, and they are not necessarily the same proteins eaten - they are merely made up of the same amino acids that all proteins are made of. It's something put on the outside of the meat you need to be concerned about.

On of our other posters noted that he was having similar problems, and finally tracked down that it was an electric knife that had been contaminated that he had been using to cut slabs of meat he had purchased. Contaminated grills, utensils, facilities for storage, and so on can also be an issue, but cow muscle does not have wheat protein.

as long as it doesn't have "flavoring", its safe, you're being paranoid. its meat, meat doesn't have gluten in it in it's pure form without any gunk on it/injected into it.i do like how people are trying to not voice their opinions on veal but keep saying baby cow. ALthough, i have to admit, i'm a paranoid celiac too bc its better safe than sorry, but you should be back to veal parm in no time...why dont you go talk direclty to a butcher? they know whats in their meat

Gluten Free since April '04

Even if it does have "flavoring," all you have to do is read the ingredients to see if it's gluten-free. The USDA requires that ANY grain added to meat be clearly listed.

richard