This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Response From Namaste Foods On Xanthan

chgomom

chgomom Enthusiast

Hi All...back now after a vaca.

I have found lately, I can only really tolerate meats, fish and chicken.

Sausage that is gluten free as well.

When I start adding in carbs, in particular starches, I start haveing major D and gas.

The gas like pops in my chest and it used to really startle me, as I am sure you can guess what it feels like. But then I burp and its good.

I ate these Namaste brownies last night now I have major D, bloating and gas?

Whats the deal with the carbs and starches,,,,and anyone have any bad luck with the brownies???

I am soooooooooooooooo confused ya know???

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

Can you post the exact ingredients? If there was rice flour, and especially soy, that could be the problem.

I also can't tolerate any starches and will get gas and bloating when I eat them. I am sort of okay with baking something with light buckwheat flour once in a while (mixed with ground hazelnuts and ground almonds for making cookies or a crumb crust), and having cream of buckwheat occasionally (dark buckwheat will cause a reaction that is much worse).

You mentioned that you can only eat meats. Can't you eat vegetables and fruits?

chgomom Enthusiast

Well that gas is terrible with the fruits and veggies.

Apple absolutely forget about it.

Bannas, are ok but give me a little gas, oranges acidy in my stomach. Carrots burping brocoli forget about it...gas....totally virgin mashed potatoes are ok, with a little butter and garlic, but thats very little.

Where I have no gas...no pain is with meats only.

I went two days like that I felt great.

Then last night I tried these things and WHAM!

They have supposedly no allergens like that...they do have arrow root but thats then only thing in there I Have never eaten before.....

chgomom Enthusiast

Anyone have issues with satrches, carbs and stuff?

Or these dang brownies??

Althougth the doc keeps stressing that since I have only been strictly gluten free since September because I started in June, then did a challange end of August (got SUPER SICK) then went totally gluten-free beginning of September that it goes thorugh cycles, sometimes is worse than others.

You know...I went a period thinking I knew my stuff and now I feel just like when I started.

chgomom Enthusiast

From Allergy grocer.com regarding namaste brownies:

evaporated cane juice, sweet rice flour, Dutch cocoa, tapioca flour, arrowroot flour, salt, xanthan gum (derived from wheat or soy).

Then I read that they way xanthum gum is made by nature it is contaminated with corn residue.

So how can they claim they are corn and soy free?

I emailed them and we'll see.

I always have terrible issues with corn....maybe thats why.

jerseyangel Proficient

I could not eat these brownies due to the tapioca. Have you had a problem with it before? Just a thought.

chgomom Enthusiast

Well I can't say yes and I can't say no.

I know now, after just being clean and then adding things in gradually this is what bothers me

Corn, any kind of dextrin (go figure - even gluten free) are the big culprits...buttt....as I think about it...most of the things I have eaten have tapioca in it....ike my gluten free bread which makes me sick most of the time.

Food for thought...no pun intended....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

chgomom Enthusiast

Well then I read on allergygrocer.com

That the Namaste XANTHUM GUM comes from either a wheat or soy source.

So....what is that about. I emailed them and said if that is the case, how can they claim they are gluten and soy free. They haven't responded yet.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
I could not eat these brownies due to the tapioca. Have you had a problem with it before? Just a thought.

I can't eat the Namaste brownies either. Had some at the celiac support meeting and was so sick that nite but thought it was somthingelse they had that had soy in it and didn't tell us..

so bought those N brownies mix and ate 2 and threw all the rest away..they your ummy going doing...but not coming ***.

not the other issue i can't wait to hear about the 'Z" gum...

Patti shared with me about the possiblility of tapioca and now realize I can't have that either.

I just bought some guar gum but haven't used it.

Maybe patti can share the name of the 'no grain' cook book we are using..i seem to tollerate those recipes well.

i have the book and if patti doesnt post b/for me I'll post later.

good luck

judy

jerseyangel Proficient

The cookbook Judy is refering to is "The Gluten Free Kitchen" by Roben Ryberg. She uses corn and potato starch in all of her recipes--no grain flours or tapioca. It's great for those of us who have to eliminate/limit grains.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

thanks Patti..thought you'd know off the top of your head.

How are you doing by the way????

hope your doing well and not 'overdoing' :lol:

love Judy

ArtGirl Enthusiast

I have a grain-free cookbook that has some good recipes in it. They rely heavily on almond meal in place of flours for baked goods. I have tried their pie crust - tastes just like a cookie crust. Haven't attempted the "breads" made with almond meal - that stuff is expensive.

However, there are many entree and other non-"bread"-type recipes that are very good.

Many of the recipes do use cheeses and eggs.

If you can have egg, at least, it might be worth looking at. (I found it in my library, so didn't have to buy it).

Grain-Free Gourmet by Jodi Bager and Jenny Lass

chgomom Enthusiast

Maybe its any grain period, and tapioca..........

jerseyangel Proficient

ArtGirl--That sounds great--I'll look into it! I can do almonds and eggs (in recipes), and that crust sounds good :) Thanks!

chgomom--You could have problems with both grains and tapioca. I do--the best way to test is with an elimination diet. I stayed off all grains for about 6 months, and now I can eat a serving of rice, or something made with rice flour once a week or so. I'm too afraid to try tapioca :ph34r: , it always made me so sick! I think I'm going to just leave it out permanently.

chgomom Enthusiast

Dear Erin,

Thank you for writing. As we sell thousands of mixes monthly, I have not heard of this occurring before.

I went to www.allergygrocery.com, and read what you did, but further down under Allergen Notes (it was a blue section I think) it says....

*Namaste xanthan is derived from wheat or soy but certified testing proves negative for presence of any residual wheat or soy protein.

This is not our site, and we are not able to edit or amend the content.

Our xanthan gum is actually produced from a variety of carbohydrate sources, but by the time it is processed, refined, etc. ours is tested and certified to be free of wheat, gluten, corn, and soy. We have statements from our manufacturer on file.

I would love to send you another bag of brownies or another product to try, but if not I understand.

Namaste~

Robyn

---------------------------------------------

So since its is derived from wheat or soy....how....is it safe for those allergic to wheat or soy. I can't be possible.

chgomom Enthusiast

So what I am saying now is....if any of their ingredients are derived from wheat or soy, for those extremely sensitive....they can't possibly be safe...and should they not have that on their packages??!!??

happygirl Collaborator

I can't comment on the exact processing techniques used here, but yes, something can start out not safe and be made safe. For instance, alcohols and vinegars....that are then distilled. The gluten protein (gliadin) is too big to pass through, and it is rendered gluten free (as per the American Dietitic Association, etc).

So, in theory, yes, it is entirely possible.

Gentleheart Enthusiast

This is very enlightening to me. If these companies are not stating the sources (wheat, soy, corn, etc.) of their ingredients on their labels because they are ASSUMING that they won't hurt anything, then that's not OK in my opinion. Some of us ARE super sensitive, at least when first going gluten free, and wouldn't dream of buying something processed from these things if we knew it.

I'm beginning to think that in spite of an appreciation for all these great innovative companies out there making exciting packaged foods for us, some of us might have to jump ship and just always make our own mixes. Of course we would need to be sure of the purity of the individual ingredients we used, but that would probably be easier. Too many unknowns in these prepackaged things. <_<

chgomom Enthusiast

I agree.

If any of their ingredients come from an allergic source they should list it.

Its not right, and they should put a star by the particular ingredient that they say it is free of. When in reality its not necessisarily free, its just whittled down to so many parts per million.

Not right!

chgomom Enthusiast

They said they had the statements from their manufacturer and the name.

So I just emailed them and asked for those, as now my GI doc wants to know.

I will be very upset if the statements from their manufacture do not guarantee the abscence 100% and then they do not put it on their package. Thats dangerous.

I'll post their response.

RiceGuy Collaborator

I think I read someplace that when the amount is below a certain level, the manufacturer can claim it is free of that substance. It may be some CODEX specification or something, but not sure ATM.

At any rate, I agree that it should list the source when that source is a known allergen, even if the amount is "below the baseline".

chgomom Enthusiast

Well I am waiting for their reply.

I said, espcially since you are marketing towards a highly sensitive population why do you not list your sources on your packaging. Me. I am still sick 3 days later. My doc said thats likely why.

I have horrible break out of the DH all over my scalp and chin / cheek. Still with the D ...she said

I am the type as evidenced by the challange I did that just can mess around.

Namaste should have their sources listed since their sources are from Allergens!!

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

I just did a quickie search on xanthan gum, and the only definition that actually listed what xanthan from is made from specifies corn:

xanthan gum

[ZAN-thuhn] Produced from the fermentation of corn sugar, xanthan gum is used as a thickener, emulsifier and stabilizer in foods such as dairy products and salad dressings. See also guar gum; gum arabic; gum tragacanth.

Everything else listed it as the product of a bacterium (which it is), but did not specify what the bacteria fed on. However, none of them mentioned wheat.

Don't know if that helps...

chgomom Enthusiast

Namaste itself said it is from a wheat or soy source.

Also as did Allergygrocer.com

So they are sending me the manufacture information.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

I'm so waiting for their responce.

For what ever reason...that product..tho it tastes wonderful just plain makes me sick.

i agree and sticking to my own cooking and not doing any of the processed mixes.

Thanks for the work.

judy

Archived