Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

writermom

Ihop

Hi everyone, I've never posted on this message board before but thought this might be important to others to know about. My husband has celiac and has been doing great since he's modified his diet. One of our favorite places to go was IHOP because he loves omelets. But recently we found out that they put pancake batter in the omelets to make them fluffier! (Who would ever come up with that?) You can definitely ask them to make it with just eggs, which we will do from now on.

Anyway take care all!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Yep, that has been going on for a while now. I do believe, however, that you can ask them to use fresh eggs and not their omlet "mix" to make an omlet for you. However, I would also be afraid of the cross contamination in a place like IHOP. Too much flour flying and chances to become sick.

Thanks for posting that. Always good to refresh people's memory.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Jessica

Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!

Kansas

I don't have IHOP but I was at another place and got an omlet, it looked like it had pancake bits in it. Now I know I wasn't crazy!

~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

36_22_10[1].gif

Hi everyone, I've never posted on this message board before but thought this might be important to others to know about. My husband has celiac and has been doing great since he's modified his diet. One of our favorite places to go was IHOP because he loves omelets. But recently we found out that they put pancake batter in the omelets to make them fluffier! (Who would ever come up with that?) You can definitely ask them to make it with just eggs, which we will do from now on.

Anyway take care all!

Please be careful if you DO go back to an IHOP. I tried getting eggs over hard (because of the pancake thing, and I want to be able to SEE that there was no CC in my eggs...) and they had a sweet taste. I asked the server and she said that they were still cooked with the other ones, on the same flat top grill, and "was that a problem?" !!!!!!!!!! I won't go back. Ever.

EnteroLab test positive for gluten intolerence and 2 gluten intolerence and celiac genes

DQ2 and DQ3 sub type DQ7 in December 2005

Gluten-free since Enterolab test, December 2, 2005.

Lame Advertisement Test positive for gluten intolerence in Sept 2005.

THEN found out that my fathers mother had nontropical sprue, she passed away at 40 from (stomach) cancer, had holes in her intestines when they caught it. I had no idea....

I went to IHOP today and I was a little worried after reading these messages. I went there for an omelet. I asked about the pancake batter and they said it was true. I just told them that I was allergic to it and they offered up to make it from real eggs. I asked about where they are cooked and she said that they cook the pancakes away from the other foods. I explained to her that even though they aren't cooked together... the previous omelets would still contain what I'm allergic to. So I just asked her to ask the cooks to clean the grill first. They were more than happy to, they even did it in front of the waitress so she could verify it had been done. Its a bit of a hassle, but they even marked my hash browns being special from the rest and I didn't think about them.

I actually did something similar before gluten-free. I used to make omelets with Bisquick mix in them. It does make them fluff up more.

I went to an IHOP a while back and asked the waiter if he had any gluten-free panckakes or waffles. He checked in the kitchen and came back and said "all their pancakes are gluten free"! Wow, very impressive. Totoally wrong of course and convinced me that at least that IHOP has no clue at all.

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."

Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.

Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, eggplant, celery, strawberries, pistachios, and hard work. Have a good day! 🙂 Paul

It always concerns me when you go to a restaurant and they tell you they can make something with "real eggs".......I mean, what were you putting in there before?!

IHOP is a no-go for me. I don't usually avoid places that may have cross contamination but IHOP doesn't seem like they have any clue about what we suffer from, nor do they seem to be trying. I think we're just better off having breakfast at our own house!

I have had eggs and hashbrowns there without problem but it was very hard to get the waitress to understand my issue. I think other locations would be better but my local Ihop hires mostly college students from Nepal and there are some communication barriers. I could tell she wanted to help but just couldn't understand my request. So for now I am sticking to a local diner that doesn't even make pancakes! I feel much safer there!