• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Bethrenee

Husband Newly Diagnosed, Wants To Lose Weight, Advice?

Rate this topic

Hi, I am new to the site, but already have found tons of useful cooking and food tips! A little background on me, in case it helps with the questions:

My husband has been diagnosed with gluten intolerance - one doctor tested him this summer for celiac's, but said it was negative. However, my husband got worse and worse, and we were eating lots of high fiber foods to be healthy, so its little surprise. Anyway, we didn't like this doctor for many reasons, went back to a previous doctor. This means we have to now drive 3 hours to see him! The current doc gave him the diagnosis of intolerance, and is going to review the previous celiac's tests, but in the meantime, he put my husband on the gluten-free diet, and it has done wonders for him!

At first we just tried to cut out anything with gluten, but now I am trying to add back in some of our favorites like pasta and bread. The main problem I'm finding (besides my baking skills!) is that I was used to eating a high fiber diet (I used Weight Watchers to lose 20 pounds) and many of the ready made foods and even some homemade ones rely on rice flour and other ingrediants that have lots of calories, lots of fat, and very little fiber.

Can anyone recommend things we can try to 1) maintain healthy diets, 2) not lead me to gain weight back, and 3) even potentially allow him to lose weight (he would like to lose 20-30 pounds).

I thought he might actually lose weight because of all the cookies he is cutting, but instead, he is relying on corn chips and cheetos to snack on during the work day, as he is never near a fridge, and only sometimes by a microwave (alot of driving around to different job sites)...

Thanks!

Beth

It's time to go find the other alternative grains - amaranth, quinoa, buckwheat, and teff are all high fiber, high protein grains that are more nutritious than wheat. That, and limiting the non-nutritious stuff. There's no reason to get by on corn chips and cheetos - make a larger dinner so that he can have leftovers for dinner, that can be supplemented by fruits and raw veggies.

Protein and fat and fiber keep you full - keeping a balance of all of those with complex carbs will keep both of you fulll on fewer calories. Add in a walk (or jog, or dance, or something else fun) when you meet up after work for some exercise too, and it'll be even better! :)

There is lots of high fiber gluten free foods. Actually someone just posted a huge list of them last week. Will have to look for that. I believe it even listed chocolate. :lol:

The big thing is movement. It doesn't have to be Mr. Universe, or Marathon running. Just have the two of you walk, enjoy the fresh air, if you don't have a dog, borrow one, they are great at getting you out walking and playing.

Tannalberry had a great idea. Take up dancing together, it would help with the weight and strengthen your relationship at the same time. ... Actually walking will as well. Hubby and I go out every morning, with the dog of course, and we have a good visit on the way, then come home and go about our separate jobs etc.

While you're moving, you're not eating. Having said that, lots of us have cronic hunger feelings. Again Tannalberry was right here, Protien, and some fat in your diet will help with that.

And don't eat three bags of Hershey Kisses and a case of coke either.

And don't eat three bags of Hershey Kisses and a case of coke either.

Ah...Rusla, are you still into the Hershey Kisses? :lol: But you do dance nakked down the hall for exercise :lol:

My advice is to leave the gluten free replacement foods out of your diet and concentrate on eating fruits, veggies, meats. Whole unprocessed foods are so good for you, very filling and they don't pack on the weight like that starchy/sugary stuff does.